Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's up to the same city manager that only gave Garth Brooks 3 nights.

I think because its the same use specified in the planning premission (sports) that the city manager wouldn't get to give his .02$ worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I think because its the same use specified in the planning premission (sports) that the city manager wouldn't get to give his .02$ worth

Yeah, maybe. But maybe that pp only extends to pre bedtime events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

JJayoo wrote: »
    Would there be any issues with the residents around Croke Park with putting on a 3 + hour show late at night?

Sporting events are not subject to the same conditions as the concerts. If it were booked for Croker there would be no subject to license as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I doubt you could go passed 11pm in croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If this was to happen at Croke there is no way the main card would start at 2am (i.e Sweden), The garda would object, the council would object etc

Main card would start at 9 probably, until 12

It wouldn't be a PPV but would probably air on a 3/4hr tape delay on Fox, it'd make a killing for them, advertising it as "Live from Dublin, Ireland, from an 80,000 sell out Croke Park"

Yanks would love it and it'd go into most homes in the U.S, ya couldn't buy that publicity, lining them up for Conor's first defense on a PPV in Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭SeanoChuinn

Hello all,

So I am not based out of Ireland at the moment and I am wondering what is the feeling back home for McGregor. With his June 18th bout against Siver just around the corner and talk about a title fight in Croke Park if he wins on the grape vine, what are people feeling about him?

From reading some articles and hearing some of the negative stories.... no show for RTE Sports awards and his excuse for that; some of his pretty disrespectful pre-match comments to fighters; his obvious love for the dollar maybe more than the sport etc. etc. etc.

From talking to both boxing people and MMA people here in Canada they feel like he is doing a whole lot of harm to the reputation that Irish fighters have always received globally. Just curious about how people feel about him back home? Would he have enough popularity to fill Croker? Does his impression of himself far outweight the actual impression that Irish people have for him?

Have no opinion really either way, fair play to him for getting so far, just curious to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭xtal191

Then it will either be the 16th or the 30th of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

xtal191 wrote: »
    Then it will either be the 16th or the 30th of May.

The booklet from the GAA said it was provisionally booked for the end of May. So it's absolutely going to be the 30th and same day as Slane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He is playing the game and doing it very well tbh.

Yeah agreed. He's done great. There's just times I cringe when he goes....too far I guess!! When confidence turns into pure ego it can be ugly to watch. I didn't really know how to reply to people out here in the fight game when they had a bad taste in their mouth talking about him. So led me to wonder what was the actual feeling for him on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

The booklet from the GAA said it was provisionally booked for the end of May. So it's absolutely going to be the 30th and same day as Slane.

30th is scheduled as a fight Night.

187 is the Ppv and that's may 23rd,
    No way in the world it won't be numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

bennyl10 wrote: »

I never looked to see the line up for fight nights and numbered events. I hope you're right.

I never looked to see the line up for fight nights and numbered events. I hope you're right.

Full schedule here, http://m.uk.ufc.com/schedule/page/2

Hoping same myself, but if it's aldo Mcgregor it'll have to be numbered anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Aldo is not going to defend his Featherweight belt on a bleedin' Fox Fight Night. C'mon people!

Full schedule here, http://m.uk.ufc.com/schedule/page/2

Hoping same myself, but if it's aldo Mcgregor it'll have to be numbered anyway :)

Why are people thinking it has to be numbered, it will not be a PPV, it'll be an ON FOX event, they'll broadcast it on a 3/4hr tape delay on Fox, bringing Conor into millions of American households, his next fight after will def be a PPV, after ordinary joe soap has been reeled in

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Aldo is not going to defend his Featherweight belt on a bleedin' Fox Fight Night. C'mon people!

If the money is right he'd defend it in my back yard

scudzilla wrote: »
    If the money is right he'd defend it in my back yard

Why would UFC put one if the biggest fights of the year on a free fight night, when they know they can put it as a pay per view and know it'll sell.

Cant think of a title defence recently that wasnt a PPV..

Aldo alone would sell it, add mcGregor sold.

Why would UFC put one if the biggest fights of the year on a free fight night, when they know they can put it as a pay per view and know it'll sell.

Cant think of a title defence recently that wasnt a PPV..

Aldo alone would sell it, add mcGregor sold.

They wouldn't have it on PPV simply because of the time difference, damn, they had Cain vs JDS for the HW title on Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

The timing is the only issue with PPV. A 9pm irish start time would work out as a 1pm/4pm start time in the US, but I don't see what other option they have. Tape delay will never happen IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's playing the game well and is backing everything up thus far. He's a huge draw for the UFC and they'll be rubbing their hands together if he beats Siver. A title shot in front of a huge audience in Dublin... Cha-ching.

He gets people talking. He gets people talking about him. People tune in because they love him. People tune in because they want to see him lose.

He can be a bit cringey but he's earning a lot of money in a short space of time and has the skills to match his mouth.

Good luck to him and long may it continue.

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    They wouldn't have it on PPV simply because of the time difference, damn, they had Cain vs JDS for the HW title on Fox

Was the debut fight on Fox though, iirc, and i think was the only fight actually shown live on tv that night.. Hardly a normal circumstance really

The 2 Cain JDS fights that followed were numbered, full tv card PPV events..

Timing is the only reason they might, but i really can't see a fight this big not being PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Good fighter but I ultimately think he has talked himself into a title fight too soon with Aldo. If he beats Siver, he's pretty much confirmed to fight Aldo next. McGregor has been emphatic so far, but what worries me is that he hasn't had to dig in and go the distance. Going 5 rounds with Aldo is going to be a shock to his system I think.

try posting this in the conor thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057097372

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

What's the latest the Gardai,Council,Residents,etc will allow this go on until and is there any examples of special occasions in which events have went on late in Ireland in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,181 ✭✭✭threeball

Yeah agreed. He's done great. There's just times I cringe when he goes....too far I guess!! When confidence turns into pure ego it can be ugly to watch. I didn't really know how to reply to people out here in the fight game when they had a bad taste in their mouth talking about him. So led me to wonder what was the actual feeling for him on the ground.

I hate that he keeps claiming to represent Ireland when in reality he doesn't. From my experience I would say on this board that 70% like him and 30% really don't. Outside mma fans those figures would be reversed. The majority of people I've seen comment on him when seeing him on tv, in a paper, mentioned on the radio really dislike the guy and the arrogance of his personality. I have to say im not a fan, some of his shtick is fun but mostly its cringe worthy and embarassing, not for him obviously until he gets knocked on his ass but for the majority of the irish for whom arrogance is nationally hated. I can't think of one arrogant sportsman that the irish actually like.

Yeah that's where I falter Threeball. I admire him for what he's done for himself and his family. And I'm sure Dana and crew LOVE him for the attention he's brought to UFC. Good or bad - its all attention. "Credit with RTE however is not what I seek. It is cash". I just cringed so badly when I read that.

One of my friends out here who is huge into MMA and boxing said that he had nothing on Katie Taylor. Especially from an attitude POV. It was so easy to admire\like him but now he seems hell bent to make it so hard to like him.

Is he fit to fill Croker or even the Aviva Staduim, regardless of planning, garda approval all of that? Do people simply care enough or given your 30:70 ratio would they show up hoping to see him get beat? Which would be very un-Irish to not support one of their own regardless of how arrogant he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod:SeanoChuinn, I've merged your thread with this one. Try keep all the McGregor stuff in one place.

Options for a title fight in Dublin (Croke)

1. PPV

Pro's
    Lot of revenue from PPV sales

Cons
    Time difference, not a chance would they be allowed to finish at 03:00, 80k people being thrown out onto the streets at that time makes it a non starter

PPV's on time delay have been notoriously bad sellers (Rampage vs Hendo @UFC 75)

2. On Fox

Pro's

FOX would be delighted with getting a fighter like Conor, fighting for the title in Dublin in front of 80k fans they'd happily put it out on a 3/4hr tape delay

Introduces MILLIONS of yanks to Conor and UFC/MMA, lining them up for future PPV purchases

Con's

Zuffa would lose out on PPV sales but how much revenue would 80k tickets make? I think they'd be prepared to take the small hit on this one, looking at the bigger picture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

threeball wrote: »
    I hate that he keeps claiming to represent Ireland when in reality he doesn't. From my experience I would say on this board that 70% like him and 30% really don't. Outside mma fans those figures would be reversed. The majority of people I've seen comment on him when seeing him on tv, in a paper, mentioned on the radio really dislike the guy and the arrogance of his personality. I have to say im not a fan, some of his shtick is fun but mostly its cringe worthy and embarassing, not for him obviously until he gets knocked on his ass but for the majority of the irish for whom arrogance is nationally hated. I can't think of one arrogant sportsman that the irish actually like.

Is this a wind-up? He is one of only 5 Irish athletes fighting in the UFC. of course he represents Ireland. Did Bernard Dunne or Barry McGuigan not represent our country when they got in the ring?? Or Stephen Roche in the saddle, or Sonia O'Sullivan on the track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Non live sporting events suck. Tape delay would be a disaster. Not to mention twitter and facebook spoiling it for lots of potential viewers. Most of the hardcore fans in the US would surely stream it as opposed to waiting as well.

Conor is receiving a huge push at the moment. The whole way through the NFL playoffs at the weekend they had promos for his upcoming fight. They have a special show solely on him on fox sports in the next few days. Should he beat Siver in style, and they get the ball rolling on promoting the Aldo fight in a stadium in Dublin I think they will be able to sell an early PPV. You can't have an event with the biggest crowd in UFC history on a tape delay. Madness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement