Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

siver could well be conors most psychologically prepared opponent in ufc. He is in a great position.

He's a cool customer, won't get hyped up like Poirier or Brandao. Bigger than I thought as well.

I found the Lamas vid kinda funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's a cool customer, won't get hyped up like Poirier or Brandao. Bigger than I thought as well.
    yeah i think he's going to enjoy himself. The last two opponents were scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

canonball5 wrote: »
    Not to be over the top about this, but would it be acceptable to make a video mocking Mexicans, or African Americans?

I understand that he's trying to be funny but this comes across a bit ignorant and a tad racist.

Who cares? It is funny, if you are going to play up the whole Irish thing to the absolute max at least let people take the piss. Don't be so precious. When Chael went after the Brazilians it was bloody hilarious, Llamas is no Chael but i got a good laugh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mike Tobacco

I think people are vastly overestimating how many PPVs an Aldo/McGregor title fight would sell. Any talk of matching Jones v Cormier (780k) is ludicrous. The biggest selling UFC PPV with a main event at a weight below lightweight was Cruz v Faber 2, which did less than half (350k) of what Jones/Cormier did.

Aldo averages less than 250k PPV buys. Even with the hype around Conor, just matching Cruz/Faber 2 would be an achievement, and that's if it was in Vegas! Holding it in Dublin would make it a long shot.

The co-main and undercard would have to be amazing. I think another title fight is out or wouldn't really make much difference as it could probably only be Johnson or Dillashaw, who have even worse numbers than Aldo. It's too soon for a Lesnar/GSP comeback (either of which would get their own PPV anyway). Maybe Rampage v Cormier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Jesus that video by Lamas is incredibly cringey. He's actually only managed to make himself look stupid and not Conor McGregor. I was embarrassed for him, watching it.

How obsessed with someone do you have to be to put so much effort, time and probably money into making something like that?? McGregor has him seriously rattled I'd say. And without even trying.

Big time FAIL Ricardo.

• Advertisement

Irish is a nationality, not a race.

Race can also be used to identify a group of people of shared nationality.

The term isn't limited to classifying groups based on shared physical characteristics.

Edit: Fwiw racist is probably an incorrect word for someone to use in this instance anyway. Xenophobic would be a better fit perhaps. IF someone were offended by it. Which I'm not btw :-) He was having a go at an individual. Not a group/race/nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What station is broadcasting this, and at what time is Conor expected in the octagon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

walshb wrote: »
    What station is broadcasting this, and at what time is Conor expected in the octagon?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ufc+uk+tv+time

dickwod1 wrote: »

A answer might have been quicker......

Forget it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

walshb wrote: »
    A answer might have been quicker......

Forget it!

BT sports have the rights to the ufc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Imagine getting under someone's skin enough that they sat down and created an entire parody video about you. Conor really is living the dream!

(If I recall correctly, Ricardo also did a Di Nero "impression" that was appalling at one of the press events. Trying to force himself in to the public eye with his "comedy" - don't give up the day job, Ricardo!)

T-K-O wrote: »
    BT sports have the rights to the ufc

Thanks.

I had a feeling it was Setanta or BT but couldn't see any mention in the fight thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Zyzz wrote: »
    This is the only acceptable parody..

Just no...its utter rubbish, the only resemblance is his attire and the laugh sometimes, the rest is awful. He does a semi decent Bear Grylls impression though.

As for Lamas I wouldnt be offended by it as some people seem to be here and on other sites on facebook etc, its pretty rubbish but hes just trying to get some attention and get himself some airtime. Its a fight I would have liked to see instead of Mcgregor v Siver to be honest and if taking the time out to record that video gets him some more attention and a fight off the back of it more power to him, it will only make McGregor want to shut him up all the more anyways.

Llamas releases a video having a bit of craic and getting some exposure at the expense of one the most talked about fighters in his division (and UFC) and all of a sudden he is obsessed and McGregor is completely under his skin. Nothing at all to do with raising Llamas's profile in a fun way, nope! McGregor got him rattled!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Mellor wrote: »
    I think your estimates for average ticket price is off. You can't compare to the average for a 10k event in vegas, the prices are skewed. I think the average for Dublin last year was $145. With a massive stadium, there's relatively more $50 upper tier spots, this reduces the average. So for this it would be $125 or so. I don't think they could bank on selling it out with higher prices.

So that's a 7.5 million gate for Aviva. 10 million for Croker.
    Also you didn't allow for the gate value if it was in America. A 10k Vegas event does a $3 million gate.

Which means an Irish stadium gate is "worth" an extra $4.5-7m, which is only 82k-128k PPV buys. Thats nothing really. I don't think it's enough to cover the loss if the was a daytime PPV in the states.

Apologies for the late response, I saw your post late last night but didn't have the energy to reply.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on a number of points.

Firstly, on your point about not taking into account selling out the MGM Grand in Vegas. My post was taking the idea from a previous poster who put the notion out there that the revenue from extra numbers in Croker would offset the PPV buys of a Vegas show, so I directly compared the two values, and didn't say much about possible PPV buys for a Europe show or the ticket revenue from Vegas. Seeing as you brought it up though, I'm pretty sure the PPV hit would not bring 17 million dollars down to 3 million, which is what it would take to just equal the Vegas ticket revenue.

On the ticket prices, the Dublin show was not a numbered event so I would expect the ticket prices to be lower than for a numbered event with a stacked card, a title fight, and potentially the biggest event the UFC has ever put on.

Also I don't go along at all with the idea that there are proportionally more nosebleed seats in a stadium show, the 10k fans on the pitch area are all paying top dollar, and the lower stands in most stadia, including Croker and the Aviva are much higher capacity that the upper tier seats. The notion that a big stadium would be built with more cheap seats with worse views than lower better-placed seats, does not make a lot of sense from a design perspective. I'm sticking with my stance that USD 175 dollars average price is a low estimate, and hence that a stadium show in Ireland makes a whole load of business sense for the UFC. I doubt we would have gotten to the stage where Dana or Lorenzo were openly talking about the idea, if some basic sums hadn't been carried out beforehand.

The issues about a late licence in either stadium is the biggest road block that I can see to this going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I thought the Llamas thing was pretty funny...if anyone is open to be parodied its conor!! More fighters should have the craic like this..I'm sure conor had a laugh off it! He's gettin airtime..fair dues to him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    Quite funny to see McGregor fanboys on facebook offended by Lamas having a bit of craic,its not like McGregor has never offended anyone.

People are so precious, everyone is offended by this or that. Get over yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

0e0.jpg

srumball wrote: »
    0e0.jpg

Without a doubt, the most overused quote/meme on the entire internet.

I am personally offended by the blatant lack of originality displayed by anyone who posts it.

• Advertisement

Please refer to the last line of the above image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

T-K-O wrote: »
    Please refer to the last line of the above image.

Stephen Fry.

How dare you..

*last line of the quote then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I'm a big Conor fan but that video is hilarious. I've no idea why people are saying its cringey, some of the impressions are spot on. Yes there are a few of the jokes that are just lazy irish stereotypes but to be honest I thought most irish people had thicker skin than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Hazys wrote: »
    I'm a big Conor fan but that video is hilarious. I've no idea why people are saying its cringey, some of the impressions are spot on. Yes there are a few of the jokes that are just lazy irish stereotypes but to be honest I thought most irish people had thicker skin than that.

Him waking up with the tub of Vaseline on the bed was my favourite. It basically says that he is an overrated, delusional, lazy, untalented, homosexual with a small penis who can't wrestle. It was hard to think of anything else that they could have put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Hazys wrote: »

I think it' cringey because it's just terribly unfunny. The only funny part was shonie as the image consultant and the joke about the old guy havin more experience. But the rest was just fairly cheap and awful.

You are seeing some fighters emerge with personalities lately that they had suppressed and it's getting them backing, which is great. But from what I've seen of Lamas he doesnt have much of a personality to begin with and is just forcing it. He's just not funny, plain and simple. No need for anyone to take offence to a couple stereotypes and a sh1te accent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

canonball5 wrote: »
    Not to be over the top about this, but would it be acceptable to make a video mocking Mexicans, or African Americans?

I understand that he's trying to be funny but this comes across a bit ignorant and a tad racist.

No it doesn't. It's a bit of fun. Jesus.

Come on not even a chuckle at the screaming in the mirror? or the notepad with the quotes? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

So basically its funny to laugh at other people but its NOT funny when people laugh at us? Its racist..

sit down have a coke and relax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement