Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

I think it' cringey because it's just terribly unfunny. The only funny part was shonie as the image consultant and the joke about the old guy havin more experience. But the rest was just fairly cheap and awful.

You are seeing some fighters emerge with personalities lately that they had suppressed and it's getting them backing, which is great. But from what I've seen of Lamas he doesnt have much of a personality to begin with and is just forcing it. He's just not funny, plain and simple. No need for anyone to take offence to a couple stereotypes and a sh1te accent though.

Couldn't agree more pablohoney, its just not funny. IMO a professional athlete should not be going to such lengths for the simple reason that its embarrassing, leave the acting/parody to the actors/comedians. I would find McGregor, or any other professional athlete for that matter, doing this equally as cringeworthy.
    As for the stereotypes, couldn't give a flying f**k...don't think Irish people in general are too precious about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Does 11/4 seem a good bet for all three Irish fighters to come through with a win on Sunday night (Monday morning)

Pendred is the only one I'm a little iffy on - needs to really improve on last few fights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Does 11/4 seem a good bet for all three Irish fighters to come through with a win on Sunday night (Monday morning)

Pendred is the only one I'm a little iffy on - needs to really improve on last few fights

Add Uriah Hall in their to increase the odds, but I wouldn't be so sure with Pendred tbh. I really like him, but his previous 2 fights have been underwhelming. The UFC has been a serious step up for him and I hope he does win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

UFC Gambling thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130753

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Great article on Conor's power punching here
    The parallel to Foreman seems a bit silly at first but comes together in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Why does Conor McGregor always sound like he's trying to be understood by someone with little English?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Great article on Conor's power punching here
    The parallel to Foreman seems a bit silly at first but comes together in the end.

ridiculous stretch to say there's a trend in his style from what, two fights - Brandao and Poirier? I thought that was a pretty terrible article tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

ridiculous stretch to say there's a trend in his style from what, two fights - Brandao and Poirier? I thought that was a pretty terrible article tbh.

You're entitled to your opinion but i disagree and think the author had a good point to make. I'd agree that its certainly too early to say that a permanent change in style has taken place but he doesn't actually state that (or anything negative about Conor). I read it more as an estimate into how Conor's approach to his fights might develop, as it has done for other fighters with power like his.
    The final line though is ridiculous though, Foreman's professional record attests to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Why does Conor McGregor always sound like he's trying to be understood by someone with little English?

Are you asking why he speaks slowly?

In general, Irish people speak really fast and it can be hard for non-Irish people to understand, especially Americans. You'll find that most Irish people who live in the US (myself included), learn to slow our speech so others can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Because lot's of people outside of Ireland have a problem understanding the Irish accents. Someone who is talking on camera a lot like Conor, needs to talk clearly so that everyone can understand him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ah, makes sense. I thought it might be a persona he was putting on.

Seems like a very charismatic guy whether you like him or not. What's in earning in comparison with the top guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

People are so obsessed with Connors accent.

I find it so strange it's all they want to focus on.

I couldn't give a **** about his accent personality preference etc.

I just love watching him fight, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

UFC should let him talk like he does everyday, whatever happened to good old subtitles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I suggest everyone watch ariels interview with Conor from today. He talks about how he realises he speaks differently when he's taking to Irish friends as opposed to american journalists with mics and cameras in his face. He said he's getting more comfortable with it but it's just something he has to get used to.

Actually great interview.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/16/7559331/conor-mcgregor-discusses-new-reebok-deal-jon-jones-issues-jose-aldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I thought he came across a bit oddly in that interview, he seemed very distracted. It may have been nothing more than the activity in the room but just seemed a little preoccupied with something.

It's all to do with his tough weight cut. He has said load of times he hates media day the day before weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Truly disappointed with the reebok deal, absolutely love the dethrone gear.. such a shame

ACANDROID wrote: »
    Truly disappointed with the reebok deal, absolutely love the dethrone gear.. such a shame

Yeah he mentions them in the interview above as well. I went onto their site to check out his boston walkout tee. They have a very generic fighting irish pic with no writing abs the tee is called 'boston'. Then the reebok deal was announced and he says he brought dethrone to the pinnacle and they couldn't go anymore. Id say dethrone weren't too happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yeah he mentions them in the interview above as well. I went onto their site to check out his boston walkout tee. They have a very generic fighting irish pic with no writing abs the tee is called 'boston'. Then the reebok deal was announced and he says he brought dethrone to the pinnacle and they couldn't go anymore. Id say dethrone weren't too happy.

The Reebok Walkout one is terrible.. such a bad move.. there was a certain class to the Dethrone ones, not anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jaysus just watched the Mendez commentary on the aldo fight....two tough b*d's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think people are vastly overestimating how many PPVs an Aldo/McGregor title fight would sell. Any talk of matching Jones v Cormier (780k) is ludicrous. The biggest selling UFC PPV with a main event at a weight below lightweight was Cruz v Faber 2, which did less than half (350k) of what Jones/Cormier did.

Aldo averages less than 250k PPV buys. Even with the hype around Conor, just matching Cruz/Faber 2 would be an achievement, and that's if it was in Vegas!
    If McGregor v Aldo happens, I'd be pretty confident that it would break PPV records below LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

jaysus just watched the Mendez commentary on the aldo fight....two tough b*d's!

fightpass the only place to get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

If I back McGregor to win and if in the future it turns out he was doping. Am I entitled to keep my money ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If I back McGregor to win and if in the future it turns out he was doping. Am I entitled to keep my money ?

Paddypower will take you to court to reclaim their loses upon confirmation of a positive test. Also you have to take us all paint-balling, unless he spends at least one night in Rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ACANDROID wrote: »

The Reebok gear is terrible to be honest. Good quality probably but awful designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Interesting enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depends on the bookie. But afaik most of not all go my the result on the night and ignore results overturned post fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That Lamas video was crap. The one funny bit was when he goes the jacks: "Where the hell are ya? Ah, there ya are, little fella. Thought that was a freckle.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Interesting enough.

Jesus, that is how an interview should be conducted. No bs interruptions from the interviewer. The young Irish journalist really was intuitive as well.

TY for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Packoman wrote: »
    Because lot's of people outside of Ireland have a problem understanding the Irish accents. Someone who is talking on camera a lot like Conor, needs to talk clearly so that everyone can understand him.

The accent/diction comes across as contrived IMO. And maybe not just so people can understand him. It just doesn't sound free and natural.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement