Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec - possible contact issue

Options
  • 04-12-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I'm looking for some insight ion the following:

I've an old Astec that was installed in 2002, aside from the error 61 on the LCD display, I have to bypass a zone to set the alarm when setting it with the front door closed. There are 3 contacts on 3 separate windows at the side of the house, all on the same zone.

Heres the thing - with the front door open, I don't get an error and can set the alarm as normal. Strange, no? Anyone got a though on the likely cause?

On a related not, I see from other threads that contacts are hard to come by, any tips on sources if it indeed works out to be a contact issue.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm looking for some insight ion the following:

I've an old Astec that was installed in 2002, aside from the error 61 on the LCD display, I have to bypass a zone to set the alarm when setting it with the front door closed. There are 3 contacts on 3 separate windows at the side of the house, all on the same zone.

Heres the thing - with the front door open, I don't get an error and can set the alarm as normal. Strange, no? Anyone got a though on the likely cause?

On a related not, I see from other threads that contacts are hard to come by, any tips on sources if it indeed works out to be a contact issue.

Thanks

Sound like the contact on your front door is faulty. What other zone are you bypassing.

The only way is to test the zone showing the fault.
    You will need a multimeter to do this.

Remove the resistor from the last device on the zone and connect the wires to the last device. 
    Sometimes the resistor is in the control panel so just remove this and connect the cable ends from that zone to the multimeter.
    Set the meter to 200 Ohms and take a note of the reading.
    Each device you have on that zone you will need to tap 10-20 times plus open and close each contact one by one. If you do connect the meter in series with the last device then make sure you disconnect the zone in the control panel plus any resistors on the loop and join the cable together there.
    After each one, check if the reading has changed. 
    If it does not return to in or around the same value remove that device, join the cables from the alarm circuit together and move on to the next device.
    After this you should have a circuit with a lower resistance value that remains the same after you tap or open any device.
    Replace any faulty devices plus replace the EOL resistor and rewire the zone back into the panel.

Any global sensor can be used in place of the Astec sensors.

Please find attachment below that explains the replacing of the entry/exit sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Thanks Altor. The front door is zone 1 whereas zone 4 contains the 3 contacts. Is it normal that opening zone 1 masks the issue with zone 4 in this instance?

Thanks Altor. The front door is zone 1 whereas zone 4 contains the 3 contacts. Is it normal that opening zone 1 masks the issue with zone 4 in this instance?

The first thing to do is replace the battery.
    The contact on the front door not showing open would indicate the reed in the device is sticking. If this is the case then replacing this sensor should solve that issue.

Clear fn 6, (user code if requested) is the user walk test. You could test if the zone is opening and closing by using this.

Using a multimeter is the only way to know what is faulty on a zone.

Replaced battery today, no real change, still flashing 'battery' and 'call engineer' with error code 14. Which reminds me, need to get a battery for the multimeter...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You have a tamper fault. If you press clear set full what displays on the screen?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    You have a tamper fault. If you press clear set full what displays on the screen?

Zone 4 Tamper Open. I don't get this error if I set the alarm with the front door open, its arms as normal :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are zone 1 & 4 on the same cable by any chance?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Are zone 1 & 4 on the same cable by any chance?

I don't believe so but I can't be sure without testing. Front door is zone 1, does the behavior (i.e. neutralising an alert for another zone) point at a shared cable?

For it to affect a different zone in this way it would suggest so or else a serious fault with the panel?
    Have you a phone line connected to this panel on a cable with either of those zones.

No phone line connected. Think its time to call in the experts...

• Advertisement

Next step would be disconnect zone 4 & close off with a resistor in the panel .
    If the error remains do the same with zone one.
    After that its a problem with the panel.
    It may also be a software issue so a factory default may be worth a try.
    If your getting someone to take a look before of that chancer saying...

" Ohhh Astec... You cant get parts you need a complete new system....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, noted re availability of parts!

Have a couple of panel PCBs there if the worst comes to the worst there.
    There is also the GSD i70.

Replaced battery today, no real change, still flashing 'battery' and 'call engineer' with error code 14. Which reminds me, need to get a battery for the multimeter...

Even after changing the battery you still have the low battery?
    Can you make sure the battery connections are connected to the battery in case they came loose when you where pushing in the battery, also is the battery link properly fitted?

It is strange with the fault disappearing when the front door is open.
    Sounds like they are on the same cable and there is a short when the door is closed. Only disconnecting and testing the cable will rule this out.

Advertisement