Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Science of Site Navigation

Options
  • 04-12-2013 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

You know how any time we make changes to the site, quite a few of you say that it "breaks" the way you use the site? When we made changes to the Home Page this year, we had put samples of what it would look like here on Feedback but almost no one looked at them and when we rolled the changes out many weeks later, there were a lot of you who were unhappy. We spent a lot of time tweaking and re-working some aspects of the home page redesign based on the feedback you gave us, but we could have avoided a lot of that work with the aid of some SCIENCE!

So, with that said, I want to talk about the particular brand of science we're going to use to help us out. We're generating what are called "heat maps" of typical activity using a service called Crazy Egg which plugs into the site and records things like where on the screen you're clicking and how exactly you're navigating around the site. This isn't PRISM level of tracking or anything like it (we still can't read your PMs nor do we want to tbh :p) but it's incredibly useful stuff for us to have proper data on how the average member of the site moves around and interacts with the interface. We've added the following to our Cookies page: "Boards.ie uses a service called Crazy Egg to track some user behaviour. This enables us to optimise the site to better meet the needs of our users." If you're not sure what exactly all this means then in simple terms, the Crazy Egg code records for us where you click on the screen and what "path" you take when performing navigation on the site. This will let us find out for example how many people use the menu along the top (and how they use it) or who many of you use the omni-search bar, etc.

So, we're putting the Heat Map stuff live today with a view to building a model of "standard" behaviour which will mean a lot less guess work when we look at what sort of changes we might need to make in the future. It's also worth pointing out that heat map plug-ins like this are really common, so what we're doing here isn't anything particularly new or exciting.

Since we're here and we're talking, I'd like you all to meet our new Product Manager, Declan. He's going to be the man pulling together all the data this gathers for us and deciding how best to spend the tech team's time based on the ongoing results this gives us.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dav wrote: »
    Since we're here and we're talking, I'd like you all to meet our new Product Manager, Declan.
    Welcome Declan!

Welcome Declan!

Are you as pretty as Nicola?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

God help you welcome Declan! WelcomeBlueSmiley.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 342 ✭✭NicsM

Welcome Declan!

*cough* :D *blush*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Welcome Declan!

Boys are handsome and GIRLS are pretty!

Welcome Declan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Boards.ie: Declan

Thanks everyone - looking forward to working with you all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Story Deco

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dav, those maps sound like a great idea.

Declan, welcome along!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Welcome along Declan!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Herzlich wilkommen Declan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The Master wrote: »
    Story Deco

Is tha Top Deco or Bottom Deco?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dav - I'm assuming those crazy eggs only work for people using the new default skin? On that topic is there any plan to disable the old look skin at all? I know it's not updated, supported, etc, but I still like using it, so curious about any decommissioning plan.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

5starpool wrote: »
    Dav - I'm assuming those crazy eggs only work for people using the new default skin? On that topic is there any plan to disable the old look skin at all? I know it's not updated, supported, etc, but I still like using it, so curious about any decommissioning plan.
    Was going to ask the same question, I use the old beta so if the heatmap works for it, I imagine it'd be quite different to someone using the default and different again from someone using the original skin.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Only 4 posts!! Pfft Newb! Let the hazing begin!! :D

Welcome and good luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

A time will come where we'll simply pull the plug on those old skins - the moment they start causing things to break will probably be it. The Heat Map stuff is not, as far as I know, applied to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Monitoring movement to "improve" the site, yeah.... sure...

This is one of those black flag things ive been hearing about..

And who is this "Declan" lad, eh?
    all a bit too easy if you ask me.

What, no one did ask me?

Oh, carry on so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The maps sound good. Interesting to know the "science" behind them. I know, for example, that I do not use the site as intended but I do what I do because its quicker for me.

Basically I log in, click on anything at all under latest posts, at which point my old "look and feel" appears and I then can use User CP and New Posts as normal. But whatever thread I click into to get the old look and feel is totally random and I dont care what its about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Gokei wrote: »
    Monitoring movement to "improve" the site, yeah.... sure...

This is one of those black flag things ive been hearing about..

And who is this "Declan" lad, eh?
    all a bit too easy if you ask me.

You have a point! Just look at his name - Boards.ie: Declan

That's N-S-A backwards. He's a demonic spook!

* runs for the hills "

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

This sounds like it's probably a reduction in privacy and I value privacy quite a bit. Sure one of us had to come out of the woodwork. :P

Are you retaining what individual users do? Or is it individual behaviour removed before you store it? What happens if a user decides they don't like this? Were you not keeping track of what pages individuals were visiting anyway? Does hit count not give you a pretty good idea already?

Important one here - Is there any browser fingerprinting going on? By that I mean let's say a user wants to log out so that they're not tracked. It's still possible to track them based on browser "fingerprint". Are you doing that?

Is there a way to get a list of exactly what you are tracking?

Lastly, is there any way for a user to opt out of this?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A time will come where we'll simply pull the plug on those old skins - the moment they start causing things to break will probably be it. The Heat Map stuff is not, as far as I know, applied to them.

When this time comes will you let people know in advance? I'm presuming that this isn't something that has a timeline, even one as vague as mid 2014 or whatever?

• Advertisement

What???? Oh no, let me know when, so I can ready my goodbyes....

I have no idea when it'll happen, but we'll probably run into a problem that the old skins are causing and just switch them off. I don't see us giving any notice given that we've put people on notice that this will be happening for about three years at this stage :)

I have no idea when it'll happen, but we'll probably run into a problem that the old skins are causing and just switch them off. I don't see us giving any notice given that we've put people on notice that this will be happening for about three years at this stage :)

Can you guys tell how many users are still actively using the old skins?

Going on memory from the last time we made changes, it was less than .5%, but I'd have to confirm that. I'm certain it was a *really* tiny number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What are the old themes - anything other than the "new beta" one?

I'll really miss the original beta theme.

Khannie wrote: »
    This sounds like it's probably a reduction in privacy and I value privacy quite a bit. Sure one of us had to come out of the woodwork. :P

Are you retaining what individual users do? Or is it individual behaviour removed before you store it? What happens if a user decides they don't like this? Were you not keeping track of what pages individuals were visiting anyway? Does hit count not give you a pretty good idea already?

Important one here - Is there any browser fingerprinting going on? By that I mean let's say a user wants to log out so that they're not tracked. It's still possible to track them based on browser "fingerprint". Are you doing that?

Is there a way to get a list of exactly what you are tracking?

Lastly, is there any way for a user to opt out of this?

Hi Khannie,

Thanks for your concern, user privacy is something we feel deeply about as well.

We aren't looking at individual user behaviour and there will be no way of tracing back any of the information we are collecting back to individual accounts.

The information we are collecting isn't hugely different from what has been traditionally collected by Google Analytics, it is just presented in a different manner. Here is a list of the type of reports we are getting from this service http://support.crazyegg.com/report-views/

This exercise is more about getting a macro view of user-behaviour on the site then tracking anything you do on a micro-level. We may in the future look to see how individual users interact with the site, but that will be something we will invite users to participate in rather than do remotely.

I'll post the first heatmaps tomorrow so you will be able to see the information we are looking at.

You have a point! Just look at his name - Boards.ie: Declan

That's N-S-A backwards. He's a demonic spook!

* runs for the hills "

Boards.ie: Declan is an anagram for Darned Sociable

thinkabouddit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We aren't looking at individual user behaviour and there will be no way of tracing back any of the information we are collecting back to individual accounts.

Super.
    The information we are collecting isn't hugely different from what has been traditionally collected by Google Analytics

I use ghostery to stop google analytics. :)
    I'll post the first heatmaps tomorrow so you will be able to see the information we are looking at.

Fair play, thanks.

Welcome to boards btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Will it have any impact on the speed at which pages load as users move from forum to forum?

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Will it have any impact on the speed at which pages load as users move from forum to forum?

No it should have absolutely no impact on page speeds. We are only looking at the homepage at the moment at any rate.

Advertisement