Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Science of Site Navigation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How can someone with only 7 posts be made Product manager?! Blatant nepotism!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Will the information be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Boards.ie: Declan is an anagram for Darned Sociable

thinkabouddit

The beers are on you then! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Hi Dav, welcome Declan,

Just a quick query and a follow up -

Will you be enabling heat maps on the touch site?

One thing that may skew the stats somewhat is, well, in Opera on mobile, I have different pages added to speed dial for quicker access, so for example to get directly to my PM Inbox, I just open the speed dial in a new tab and click on my PM Inbox, having already set it in the speed dial. This for me is a much faster method than navigating through to PMs on the Touch site in it's current iteration.

I'm not sure the effect this may have on the stats, I wouldn't imagine I'm the only user who uses the site in this way, and I'd actually be curious to see how the Crazy Egg stats handle what it may see as duplicate sessions in separate tabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Hi Dav, welcome Declan,

One thing that may skew the stats somewhat is, well, in Opera on mobile, I have different pages added to speed dial for quicker access, so for example to get directly to my PM Inbox, I just open the speed dial in a new tab and click on my PM Inbox, having already set it in the speed dial. This for me is a much faster method than navigating through to PMs on the Touch site in it's current iteration.

I'm not sure the effect this may have on the stats, I wouldn't imagine I'm the only user who uses the site in this way, and I'd actually be curious to see how the Crazy Egg stats handle what it may see as duplicate sessions in separate tabs.

I've my user CP set up on speed dial in firefox. You must get a load of pm's to set it up on what is a most used page for me, I feel left out!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How can someone with only 7 posts be made Product manager?! Blatant nepotism!

check this thread in feedback :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057086072

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

returnNull wrote: »

Dammit!!! This is what happens when i do that whole get some sleep thing.... I was gonna reference that thread.

Maybe he's a re-reg of Currys PC World Declan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Welcome Declan! I wish you best of luck in the new role, looking forward to seeing the changes you bring :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

...looking forward to seeing the changes you bring :)

I can't believe you dropped the C-bomb in Feedback! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Boards.ie: Declan

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Hi Dav, welcome Declan,

Hi Czarcasm,

Good point - While we are generating info for the touchsite, the focus of this run is the web version of the site. I'll be posting the first lot of charts in a bit, you'll see how they reflect behaviour. I don't think you will skew the stats as much as you are working outside the parameters of what we are looking at.

But thanks for raising it - its good to be aware of this kind of user behaviour. And don't worry, we will be looking for lots of feedback and giving lots of notice before we change anything on any of the sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I can't believe you dropped the C-bomb in Feedback! :eek:

I know, but is a product manager who doesn't make changes a product manager?

th_template-philosoraptor.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Welcome along Declan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I often click on random unclickable spaces when reading. I sometimes even select text for absolutely no reason.

I have no idea why. It may well be that I am a crazy person.
    Sorry in advance for messing up your study. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pj! wrote: »
    I often click on random unclickable spaces when reading. I sometimes even select text for absolutely no reason.

I do that too, but it's so it sounds like I'm working.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know, but is a product manager who doesn't make changes a product manager?

th_template-philosoraptor.jpg

That's an expectation manager. The company that I work in employs loads of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Gordon wrote: »
    That's an expectation manager. The company that I work in employs loads of them.

As opposed to those who make too many changes - they're called product manglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Pj! wrote: »

I've been highlight and un-highlighting the text I'm reading for years (I can get quite frustrated with those sites with javascript stopping you from selecting texts :P).

I am however certified as a crazy person, so this may not actually be comforting to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

nesf wrote: »
    I've been highlight and un-highlighting the text I'm reading for years (I can get quite frustrated with those sites with javascript stopping you from selecting texts :P).

I am however certified as a crazy person, so this may not actually be comforting to you...

Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Will I still be able to click the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Sounds great Dav - hello Declan!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Cloud lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

As long as this can't identify how often I personally click into the S&S forum in the vain hope of some depravity then this sounds cool.

OH HAI DECLAN! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thanks everyone - looking forward to working with you all.
    Don't worry, we'll knock that out of you soon enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Boards.ie: Declan

Hi all

Just a quick update on the heatmapping project. We got the initial reports back late last week but we noticed a few issues with how the information was being processed, so we have decided to look at a different partner. I should be able to post accurate heatmaps later this week.

Will keep you all in the loop - we've gotten some interesting info back already, but we don't want to put information that is less that accurate out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

If it helps my 18 month old created her own heatmap of how I use the site, using crayons, on the screen, although she calculated I use the search box more than I think I do...

Oh and a delayed welcome....

Advertisement