Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Losses

Options
  • 04-12-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭

Didn`t hear too much about this ...under the radar perhaps but not good news
    Baxter Healthcare is to seek over 100 voluntary redundancies at its manufacturing facility in Castlebar in Co Mayo.
    The company is scaling back production of a number of lines at the site, including renal dialysis equipment.
    It plans to reduce the numbers working on weekend shifts from 180 to 70.
    It is understood that the 110 redundancies will be sought across the Castlebar operation.
    Baxter employs in the region of 800 people at its manufacturing operation there.

Rumours of some of these jobs going to Poland but I cannot find any evidence of that.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1202/490353-baxter-healthcare/

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

signostic wrote: »
    Didn`t hear too much about this ...under the radar perhaps but not good news

Rumours of some of these jobs going to Poland but I cannot find any evidence of that.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1202/490353-baxter-healthcare/

Been in the public since Sunday night. Also contractors on top of that so looking at up to 170.
    Its been known about for about 3 weeks now yet Enda and the idiots from all parties were out last week jumping around all trying to take credit for the 150 jobs, over 3 years of course, from Northgate.

I note none have commented on the job losses. Shock horror. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

yop wrote: »
    Been in the public since Sunday night. Also contractors on top of that so looking at up to 170.
    Its been known about for about 3 weeks now yet Enda and the idiots from all parties were out last week jumping around all trying to take credit for the 150 jobs, over 3 years of course, from Northgate.

I note none have commented on the job losses. Shock horror. :rolleyes:

Sorry but who are
    the idiots from all parties
    ??

And i have seen and heard plenty of comments on the job losses so not sure what you're on about

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I am obviously not going name them but have a look at the papers and their FB profiles and you will see them proclaiming.

Kind of hard to look at their FB profiles if i dont know who you are about.

So if politicians claim credit for jobs you slam them as idiots and say it's too little too late and if they dont deliver jobs you criticise them. Can't win with you it seems.

Kind of hard to look at their FB profiles if i dont know who you are about.

So if politicians claim credit for jobs you slam them as idiots and say it's too little too late and if they dont deliver jobs you criticise them. Can't win with you it seems.

Well its common knowledge now that they knew last week that Baxter was going to announce those job losses, yet FG/FF and Sinn Fein members in Castlebar were all there for the photocall with Enda last week and out on "I fought hard for them jobs, its great credit to X party" etc
    Funny that 3 different members of different parties claimed credit.

Yet not 1 of them didn't acknowledge the job losses on Sunday night/Monday.

Hypocrites.

If you have a love in with politicians its not my fault, just saying it as it is and what others have been saying all over the various social media on Sunday and Monday.

• Advertisement

Well its common knowledge now that they knew last week that Baxter was going to announce those job losses, yet FG/FF and Sinn Fein members in Castlebar were all there for the photocall with Enda last week and out on "I fought hard for them jobs, its great credit to X party" etc
    Funny that 3 different members of different parties claimed credit.

Yet not 1 of them didn't acknowledge the job losses on Sunday night/Monday.

Hypocrites.

If you have a love in with politicians its not my fault, just saying it as it is and what others have been saying all over the various social media on Sunday and Monday.

I've no love in with our local politicians but i dont go out of my way like you always seem to do to have a go at them for spurious reasons.

What are you on about? To quote just two local politicians

Cllr. Therese Ruane:
    “There had been rumours and texts flying around all weekend but nobody had told the workers officially. I understand management had been advised of the situation over the weekend but the workers were only called into a meeting at 10.45am yesterday morning (Monday) where they were told that there would be 110 job losses and they could apply for voluntary redundancy.”
    “I am calling for immediate government intervention on this. An Taoiseach and Government Ministers need to engage with the company to see if there is any way in which these jobs can be saved. They must also focus their minds and efforts, engage with the IDA, and other state agencies to secure employment for people in Castlebar and Mayo,

Dara calleary TD
    “What is particularly worrying is that Baxter is choosing to move some of its Castlebar operation abroad. It comes less than a week after another major manufacturer in the healthcare sector, MSD, announced plans to close a major factory in Swords, County Dublin, to relocate some operations abroad.”
    ‘a warning to the government not to take the future of the healthcare manufacturing sector in Ireland for granted’.

I've no love in with our local politicians but i dont go out of my way like you always seem to do to have a go at them for spurious reasons.

What are you on about? To quote just two local politicians

Cllr. Therese Ruane:

Dara calleary TD

I didn't say who did or didn't come out did I?

Listen your as well not to be following what I post as it seems to irritate you a bit.
    Can't seem to criticize them otherwise you feel the need to defend them. Your choice, I can post if I feel I don't agree with them.

I didn't say who did or didn't come out did I?

Listen your as well not to be following what I post as it seems to irritate you a bit.
    Can't seem to criticize them otherwise you feel the need to defend them. Your choice, I can post if I feel I don't agree with them.

No you didnt say, i wonder why?

I'm not following you for gods sake or am i not allowed to respond to your posts?

No you didnt say, i wonder why?

I'm not following you for gods sake or am i not allowed to respond to your posts?

Respond away, I won't follow suit. We are allowed to criticize the people we have elected and pay. Its the way it works.

I am just saying it as I see it, end of it for me as its just a re-occurrence of your insistance to follow my posts on another thread.

Respond away, I won't follow suit. We are allowed to criticize the people we have elected and pay. Its the way it works.

Of course. You wont follow suit how?
    I am just saying it as I see it, end of it for me as its just a re-occurrence of your insistance to follow my posts on another thread.

Replying to the same poster more than once does not imply tha im 'following' you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Firms grow and shrink for all sorts of reasons.

All businesses are tightly managed, costs have to be controlled and efficiencies continually sought to retain customers and get new customers.

In the case of the large MNCs there is often competition within the group for new lines etc.

That is business. Politicians have no influence on such decisions.

Politicians should concentrate on making sure the basis services are up to date and fit for purpose - water, energy supply, roads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

nuac wrote: »

All businesses are tightly managed, costs have to be controlled and efficiencies continually sought to retain customers and get new customers.

In the case of the large MNCs there is often competition within the group for new lines etc.

Politicians should concentrate on making sure the basis services are up to date and fit for purpose - water, energy supply, roads etc.

Its certainly seems to me that the politicians in Mayo have failed miserably on the highlighted issue above...perhaps the others as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

nuac wrote: »

Exactly. Many of the same people who moan on about "Parish Pump Politics" then turn around and berate the same politicians for not engaging in it.
    People need to grow up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Exactly. Many of the same people who moan on about "Parish Pump Politics" then turn around and berate the same politicians for not engaging in it.
    People need to grow up :)

Surely its the job of Mayo and Roscommon politicians of every hue to get a proper road from both counties to the capital...Galway got its motorway as did Limerick and Cork. Thats not Parish Pump stuff like getting a medical card or a pothole filled on some back road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

What riles me is that in the same week as these job losses, a study is published showing absenteeism is out of control in local authorities and Mayo County Council in particular. From here.

As one of the biggest, if not THE biggest employer in the county, the cushy number that these employees have isn't fully appreciated by them and it is being paid for by us, the tax payer!

On average they take 12 days sick leave a year.

Galling to say the least and little comfort for all the private sector employees in the county facing into an uncertain Xmas due to the recent announcements. :mad:

Surely its the job of Mayo and Roscommon politicians of every hue to get a proper road from both counties to the capital...Galway got its motorway as did Limerick and Cork. Thats not Parish Pump stuff like getting a medical card or a pothole filled on some back road.

And im sure they do lobby hard but its the Govt's decision at the end of the day. the have to look at the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Galway, Limerick and Cork got their motorways because they are major cities, not because of the lobbying skills of their local TDs. The Healey Rays, accused by all of Parish pump politics, have done a great job getting roads upgraded for their local areas. I've no issue with that. It's people who want it both ways that annoy me

Advertisement