Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

filling station in castlebar with petrol in its diesel tank

Options
  • 04-12-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Dont know can i name it

Filled up the car assuming it was diesel

car started giving up 3 miles down the road. . I pulled in and turned it off.

Main dealer said filled with with petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Are you sure its not your fault ?

Its easily done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Don't name the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Dude it is nearly your duty to inform someone about that. How about you give the direction or side of the town. Is that acceptable to mods ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

OP you'd want to go back there and check on the CCTV if possible that you didn't make the mistake of filling from the wrong nozzle.
    If you're correct, I presume it's the garages responsibility to sort your car and anyone else's that been similarly affected.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Dont know can i name it

Filled up the car assuming it was diesel

car started giving up 3 miles down the road. . I pulled in and turned it off.

Main dealer said filled with with petrol.

I heard of it happening once in a station (can't remember was it in galway or loughrea). **** hits the fan quickly. Local radio, phone ringing off the hook in the station etc. Ring the station and tell them what your mechanic said. Have you a receipt?

• Advertisement

Best thing to do is head back to garage with a fuel can.

Go to the pump you used. Put in a couple of euro. Have a smell.

I suspect if the garage was at fault it would have been noticed by now and the pump would be closed.

As I said it is very easy to make the mistake yourself. I am speaking from experience. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Avns1s wrote: »
    OP you'd want to go back there and check on the CCTV if possible that you didn't make the mistake of filling from the wrong nozzle.
    If you're correct, I presume it's the garages responsibility to sort your car and anyone else's that been similarly affected.

Go back and tell the garage to ensure they know about it.
    Ensure you didn't fill at the wrong pumps.
    Ensure that the lorry doing the delivery did fill the wrong tanks with petrol.

And as said, if there is a problem coming on here isn't going to get the garage pay for the damage.

6541 wrote: »
    Dude it is nearly your duty to inform someone about that. How about you give the direction or side of the town. Is that acceptable to mods ?

Mod Note: No its not, if this isn't correct and the garage finds out about that they are named in the wrong, then I don't need to explain what will happen.

Don't name them, don't even give a sniff as to who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Far Q Boss

It can very easily be the fault of the filling station. A few months ago I pulled in for petrol. I picked up the green handle pump. It wouldn't fit .... It was the diesel pump!!! Some eejit had fitted a green handle to a diesel pump! Thank christ the car was unable to take the size of the diesel nozzle.. Some cars aren't fitted with this, I was lucky on the day coz it wasn't even my car....

Far Q Boss wrote: »
    It can very easily be the fault of the filling station. A few months ago I pulled in for petrol. I picked up the green handle pump. It wouldn't fit .... It was the diesel pump!!! Some eejit had fitted a green handle to a diesel pump! Thank christ the car was unable to take the size of the diesel nozzle.. Some cars aren't fitted with this, I was lucky on the day coz it wasn't even my car....

This is similar to how I actually got caught out. I was on a motorbike at the time and picked up the green handle in the garage. It was a diesel pump with a green plastic advertisement for peugeot covering most of the handle. Nothing to stop the size of the pump going into a motorbike tank unfortunately.

Never forget the amount of smoke that came out from the exhaust after a few mins driving.

But I dont consider that the fault of the petrol station. Its my fault for not noticing. It said diesel above the pump. Then again, I was lucky, it was only an hours work to get the bike up and running. I imagine its a pain / expensive to fill a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Deffo used diesel pump.

They went straight to dealer to get car. .

Didnt want discuss it.

Dealer said not first time this happened to this place.

They have car now. .
    I thought the smell of petrol was from the car next to me.

They never doubted me for a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Who is 'they'? The filling station or the main dealer?

Avns1s wrote: »
    Who is 'they'? The filling station or the main dealer?

Filling stat people. .

It was almost as if they said to themselves awh uck it, . Not again.

I have someone on the way to check the pump. . I bet its locked

will take photos

Said station is currently closed for business as i type . . All pumps closed off

Tankers on site also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Happened myself few years back , pulled into a garage ( not naming it ) and guy came over , i said 20 petrol (i had 2 people with me and they heard me as proof) and the gas filler put in diesel instead.

the manager accepted full liability and payed for repairs , and through me a few extra quid for the inconvenience :)

Said station is currently closed for business as i type . . All pumps closed off

Tankers on site also.

Ok, well at least they are looking after you and the situation.

Hope your car gets sorted out.

yop wrote: »
    Ok, well at least they are looking after you and the situation.

Hope your car gets sorted out.

Thanks, me two

been told to ask for letter to cover residual damage for 6 months.

Anything could happen. Sensors going off etc. .

Something could pack in within 2 wks. Where would i be then.

I know i was right not to name it. . But still think we should be free to give full account of the situation, even give name. . .let them come on and defend themselves. .

Wonder if i used the word allegedly with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

I know what Pstn you are talking about - I pulled in at lunch time to fill up with diesel and all the pumps were closed. The guy told me there was a prob with the pump that they were trying to fix ... Sure am glad I didn't fill up earlier on !!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I know i was right not to name it. . But still think we should be free to give full account of the situation, even give name. . .let them come on and defend themselves. .

Speaking as a boards.ie administrator: please don't.

Thanks, me two

been told to ask for letter to cover residual damage for 6 months.

Anything could happen. Sensors going off etc. .

Something could pack in within 2 wks. Where would i be then.

Mod Note: I've asked the senior mods about that and will see what they say.

Get that engine well tested, check over on the motors forum there and ask the lads or do a search on the what could happen. You don't want to be at a loss on this.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Tankers on site also.

Take video of the work being done there. It seems clear something has gone horribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

yop wrote: »
    Mod Note: I've asked the senior mods about that and will see what they say...
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    Speaking as a boards.ie administrator: please don't.

Thanks to oscarBravo for the clarification.

tHB

Dont worry i wont mention name.

Video and pics taken.

thanks for all advice. .

Will do a post on motors tonight.

Thks to mod and admin for been polite. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Your Receipt should provide proof that you filled up from a diesel pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

My Issue is I need to get juice this evening, I live in Castlebar, should I get it in Westport to be on the safe side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

My Issue is I need to get juice this evening, I live in Castlebar, should I get it in Westport to be on the safe side ?

Just PM the OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Any other garage will be fine, no need to get it in westport. What will have happened was they would have got a fuel delivery today and got one of the underground diesel tanks will have been filled up with petrol. Legally the garages are meant to have a member of staff overseeing the delivery driver connecting the pipes to the tanks but most garages just leave the drivers to do their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i guess will be relabeling the which pipe fills which tanks.

no fear of getting caught now, the place was in darkness when i picked up my car at 5pm

all closed. still draining and fixing the issue.

refused point blank to give me anything in writing to say they will cover residual damage if the car breaks down in the near future arising from this contamination or more like pure petrol in the diesel tank.

I talked to the owner and it got heated in the end, as he was just spilling info that to me was nuts and should have kept it to himself been a business owner.

mentioned that they were in court recently for the same issue, and they were fighting that. i said so its happened before., ya he replied.

stated to me that all people in the station were told do not write letters accepting to cover any costs that could arise.

I said that makes me thing theres a big chance of something going wrong.

told me that it would leave them open to all sorts of claimes.. . gearbox timing belt.. exhaust. .. . i kid you not, a garage owner said that to me... . . like as if id go back and say the gearbox went because the fuel was petrol and not diesel...

told him i pass the station each day, fill up there 99% of the time, probably 200EUR a month, thats probably 10-12K over 6/7 yrs that ive been using them .. . and asked is that how they do customer service.. .

he said, if i had a problem, come back, and they would take a look, but whos to say it was the petrol that caused the issue. . .

I told him, so you expect me, if a fuel pump went in the morning, that im to go to their garage for them to look at it, but first argue about them paying up for it. .

I told him have the car ready in 10 mins ill be over for it. . . . and u wont see me again.

i walked in to the office, got the key from a teenage lad that works in the shop part of it, and off i went.

Car working like it did 3 days ago, but who knows. . .. one thing is for sure, customer lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

no fear of getting caught now, the place was in darkness when i picked up my car at 5pm

all closed. still draining and fixing the issue.

refused point blank to give me anything in writing to say they will cover residual damage if the car breaks down in the near future arising from this contamination or more like pure petrol in the diesel tank.

I talked to the owner and it got heated in the end, as he was just spilling info that to me was nuts and should have kept it to himself been a business owner.

mentioned that they were in court recently for the same issue, and they were fighting that. i said so its happened before., ya he replied.

stated to me that all people in the station were told do not write letters accepting to cover any costs that could arise.

I said that makes me thing theres a big chance of something going wrong.

told me that it would leave them open to all sorts of claimes.. . gearbox timing belt.. exhaust. .. . i kid you not, a garage owner said that to me... . . like as if id go back and say the gearbox went because the fuel was petrol and not diesel...

told him i pass the station each day, fill up there 99% of the time, probably 200EUR a month, thats probably 10-12K over 6/7 yrs that ive been using them .. . and asked is that how they do customer service.. .

he said, if i had a problem, come back, and they would take a look, but whos to say it was the petrol that caused the issue. . .

I told him, so you expect me, if a fuel pump went in the morning, that im to go to their garage for them to look at it, but first argue about them paying up for it. .

I told him have the car ready in 10 mins ill be over for it. . . . and u wont see me again.

i walked in to the office, got the key from a teenage lad that works in the shop part of it, and off i went.

Car working like it did 3 days ago, but who knows. . .. one thing is for sure, customer lost.

Hit them where it hurts.

Advertisement