Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

filling station in castlebar with petrol in its diesel tank

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

irishgeo wrote: »
    Hit them where it hurts.

Right between the legs, with a baseball bat? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Apparently the tanks were filled last night. Diesel pumps were dispensing petrol until lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Apparently the tanks were filled last night. Diesel pumps were dispensing petrol until lunch time.

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

Surely this would be covered insurance of either The garage or delivery company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

when my wife rang, she was told it started last night, about 7/8 pm when a deleivery was done,

man 16 yrs with the company, never been to the station before, filled it incorrectly.

problem caught last night, fixed, drained and refilled all ready for this morning,

and they said, he refilled it the second time incorrectly. . .

idiots.. . where is the fail safe.. .

what im shocked at is that i only found out today its happening a lot at this station. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

when my wife rang, she was told it started last night, about 7/8 pm when a deleivery was done,

man 16 yrs with the company, never been to the station before, filled it incorrectly.

problem caught last night, fixed, drained and refilled all ready for this morning,

and they said, he refilled it the second time incorrectly. . .

idiots.. . where is the fail safe.. .

what im shocked at is that i only found out today its happening a lot at this station. .
    God knows how many cars filled up so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the place i suspected so having heard it from a mate of mine.

surely this can be reported further up the line. would weights and measures be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

why did the op let the service station people have any dealing with his car?
    At this stage, it should be solicitor all the way. I dont think looking for indemnity against certain failures would be the way forward as it could be messy. A one off compensation payment might be cleaner. They surely are insured against this so a payment to settle it for once and for all might be the cleanest way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

the place i suspected so having heard it from a mate of mine.

surely this can be reported further up the line. would weights and measures be interested?

If they can't get the fuel right, who's to say that the pumps aren't calibrated right either. Get onto the legal metrology service pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

More could be done in the design and placing of fuel pumps, nozzles etc to avoid confusion between diesel and petrol

Gárdaí have, or used to have, a weights and measures sergeant in every county. They should be interested in this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I know i was right not to name it. . But still think we should be free to give full account of the situation, even give name. . .let them come on and defend themselves. .

Wonder if i used the word allegedly with it?

Defend themselves from what? The delivery guy clearly refuelled the tanks incorrectly and the garage will be claiming off that company. Only if the tanks are mislabelled will there be an argument and the delivery guy should have dipped and checked them anyway.

Defend themselves from what? The delivery guy clearly refuelled the tanks incorrectly and the garage will be claiming off that company. Only if the tanks are mislabelled will there be an argument and the delivery guy should have dipped and checked them anyway.

i know, but i dont make the rules for boards.

i do wonder with the fact that the station was closed with tankers and guys cleaning, and when people here also seen it closed why it cant be named

you can pm though

one wonders if its actually a legit company that supplies the fuel.

its always an unlabled truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

i know, but i dont make the rules for boards.

i do wonder with the fact that the station was closed with tankers and guys cleaning, and when people here also seen it closed why it cant be named

you can pm though

That is a very good point, Could a Mod come back on this one, at this stage it is common knowledge what business this occurred in, this is a genuine question, why can't this business be named ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

6541 wrote: »
    That is a very good point, Could a Mod come back on this one, at this stage it is common knowledge what business this occurred in, this is a genuine question, why can't this business be named ?

I'll spell this out just once.

If someone posts the name of a business and claims that that business, through negligence - whether on their own part or that of a supplier - caused damage to their property, it's possible that the owners of that business will take legal action. That action won't just be taken against whatever pseudonym posts the allegation on this website; it will be taken against the website as the "publisher" of the allegation.

Now, you can argue that it's not defamatory to say something that's true. It's more accurate to say that truth is an absolute defence in a defamation suit, but there's the rub: if you're using truth as a defence in a defamation suit, you've already been sued, and being sued is a nasty and expensive business, even if you're in the right.

Long story short: don't get boards.ie sued. It may be your personal judgement that posting something that's "common knowledge" won't lead to a lawsuit, but that's not your call to make.

I hope that's clear. Please bear in mind that I'm not an expert on these matters, but the above is my understanding of the law as we've been asked to apply it by boards.ie and its legal advisers.

oscarBravo wrote: »

If someone posts the name of a business and claims that that business, through negligence - whether on their own part or that of a supplier - caused damage to their property, it's possible that the owners of that business will take legal action. That action won't just be taken against whatever pseudonym posts the allegation on this website; it will be taken against the website as the "publisher" of the allegation.

Now, you can argue that it's not defamatory to say something that's true. It's more accurate to say that truth is an absolute defence in a defamation suit, but there's the rub: if you're using truth as a defence in a defamation suit, you've already been sued, and being sued is a nasty and expensive business, even if you're in the right.

Long story short: don't get boards.ie sued. It may be your personal judgement that posting something that's "common knowledge" won't lead to a lawsuit, but that's not your call to make.

I hope that's clear. Please bear in mind that I'm not an expert on these matters, but the above is my understanding of the law as we've been asked to apply it by boards.ie and its legal advisers.

Thanks for the reply, a valid question and a valid response. Sometimes I feel the Mayo forum can be over modified, but I totally see where this one is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Legally the garages are meant to have a member of staff overseeing the delivery driver connecting the pipes to the tanks

LEGALLY?

Are you sure??

Really sure??

Can you show me where in the statute books of Ireland there is such a law?

Tanker drivers are well trained - one has made an error. A big error. The garage has been quick to close and get things sorted. All of this is covered by their insurance. I can't see any garage who has an error like this trying not to accept responsibilty, so no need for photos etc as there will be a written record of everything.

• Advertisement

one wonders if its actually a legit company that supplies the fuel.

That's just idle conspiracy speculation, what's the point in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

sandin wrote: »
    Tanker drivers are well trained - one has made an error. A big error. The garage has been quick to close and get things sorted. All of this is covered by their insurance. I can't see any garage who has an error like this trying not to accept responsibilty, so no need for photos etc as there will be a written record of everything.
    Could it be a requirement of their insurance for a staff member to oversee delivery? the few times I've noticed fuel being delivered(different stations) a staff member was always out chatting to the delivery driver? Also the OP mentioned that the manager said it had happened before and they were fighting the claims that resulted, so they might resist standing over any subsequent damages to the car.

guttenberg wrote: »
    Could it be a requirement of their insurance for a staff member to oversee delivery? the few times I've noticed fuel being delivered(different stations) a staff member was always out chatting to the delivery driver? Also the OP mentioned that the manager said it had happened before and they were fighting the claims that resulted, so they might resist standing over any subsequent damages to the car.

No legal requirement - but the staff will need to confirm the tank readings with the driver after he's dipped them both before and after filling.

The manager may be fighting with the delivery company about who is responsible, there's no reason they would be fighting with the customer on this though and the customer dealt with the garage, not the delivery company.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for the reply, a valid question and a valid response. Sometimes I feel the Mayo forum can be over modified, but I totally see where this one is coming from.

If you have an issue with the moderation then use the appropriate channels.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

oscarBravo wrote: »

Mod Note: Echoing above, we have stated this 3 time previously, so don't keep asking. If anyone goes anywhere near suggesting or naming, you will be banned no questions asked.

yop wrote: »
    If you have an issue with the moderation then use the appropriate channels.

Not a personnel dig at all, when you think about it all moderation is subjective, that is subjective to the mods personnel beliefs ;~)
    c'est la vie !

Not a personnel dig at all, when you think about it all moderation is subjective, that is subjective to the mods personnel beliefs ;~)
    c'est la vie !

I know, its biko, I would talk to a lawyer over his moderation ;)

Personal beliefs don't come into it though, it can't. Otherwise you can't moderate.
    Anyway its not a thread for discussing moderation, if you have a genuine concern then bring it up with the CMods.

yop wrote: »
    I know, its biko, I would talk to a lawyer over his moderation ;)

Personal beliefs don't come into it though, it can't. Otherwise you can't moderate.
    Anyway its not a thread for discussing moderation, if you have a genuine concern then bring it up with the CMods.

not at all just shooting the breeze on a very busy day in work ;) Loving recession Mayo.

That's just idle conspiracy speculation, what's the point in it?

Not when you know a someone who had the fuel tested a while back.

• Advertisement

Not when you know a someone who had the fuel tested a while back.

You'd want to be pretty sure on the facts. What has that to do with someone putting the wrong fuel into the tank?

Advertisement