Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Up for Motorcycle Test

Options
  • 04-12-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am sitting my test in a few days and I wanted to put up a post to re-cap on the basics before the test, I'm going to put up some of the things i remember, if I left anything out please feel free to remind me.

Theory

1 - P.O.W.D.E.R

P = Petrol
    O = Oil
    W = Water / Coolant
    D = Damage
    E = Electronict
    R = Rubber

2 - Things to know about the bike

A) Where and how the oil can be checked /added
    B) where and how the coolant can be checked / added
    C) Where and how to check the break pads
    D) Where and how to check the break fluid levels
    E) Where and how to check the tire pressure
    F) How to check tire thread depth
    G) What to look for in chain slack & how to adjust

Practical

Before moving off
    (ensure you have a "L" learner bib & Personal Protective Equipment)
    1. Ensure bike is in good working order before getting on.
    2. Ensure lights are on before moving off.
    3. Ensure mirrors are correctly adjusted before moving off.

While Riding
    1. Always stop completely and put a foot down at a "Stop" sign
    2. Before turning off / changing lane always "M.I.L.M"
    M = Mirror - check them / it
    I = Indicator - use it
    L = Lifesaver - check blind spot before moving
    M = Manoeuvre - move into next lane / turn off (or move into position for turning off)
    3. Never break speed limit & don't go too slow
    4. When stopped in traffic ensure a safe distance is between the vehicle in front and you.
    5. When stopped in traffic try to position yourself so that you are visible to the driver in front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

People seem to get caught up in the "LIFESAVERS" business, you do not have to do them as frequent as checking mirrors. A lad on here failed for too many lifesavers when they were not warranted. Lifesavers are kept for moving off and changing direction....not for little adjustments along the way.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭lostboy75

Dwelby,

will be doing it the same day, this is a good idea, I have notes taken from the IBT, but this is quite a good Condensed list

good luck with Tuesday!

Lost

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Don't be afraid to use your horn. I got a mark docked on my test for failing to alert others to my presence as a car pulled out in front of me.

Also don't be afraid to continue at a YEILD if appropriate

Other then that, lots of observations, exagerated enough so the tester won't miss it but not enough to compromise your control.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Ouick Update:

I passed. woo! I got no marks at all, couldnt believe it! he even said after that it was a nice ride, caught me by surprise because the testers are usually quite stern.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Well done!

Is there a standard list of questions they ask you prior to getting on the bike?

• Advertisement

Yeah they ask a few questions about the rules of the road, reoad markings, signs, reasons why breaking might be affected, alot are fairly self explanatory but some of the signs could catch ya out if youre not prepared... you can download the rules of the road here and I would recommend taking a look over it before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Thanks. Doing my test for an A2 license on a scooter in January. Just wondering should I bother with a pre-test lesson.

Do they do any bike handling type exercises? Like in the car test where they reverse around a corner (obviously not applicable to the bike!) etc?

Yeah i would always reccomend to anybody on 2 wheels, take a course, they will show you the correct way to do things.
    Handling exercises: U-turn, emergency break, slow moving(stay at testers walking pace), walk with bike, overtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

dwelby101 wrote: »
    Ouick Update:

I passed. woo! I got no marks at all, couldnt believe it! he even said after that it was a nice ride, caught me by surprise because the testers are usually quite stern.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ouick Update:

Congrats!

• Advertisement

Lovely Stuff....very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

lovely job! great feeling ain't it!

serious3 wrote: »
    lovely job! great feeling ain't it!
    yep, it sure is... next step, start planning a road trip through europe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Stay in-between the line and curb.........I failed mine for going on the inside as I went around the corner!

OK on a grade 2 or advanced test as it allows you to see around the bend but its not allowed on the 'more advanced' RSA test :rolleyes:

Stay in-between the line and curb.........I failed mine for going on the inside as I went around the corner!

OK on a grade 2 or advanced test as it allows you to see around the bend but its not allowed on the 'more advanced' RSA test :rolleyes:

What do you mean by the grade 2 test? for an A2 lisence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

What do you mean by the grade 2 test? for an A2 lisence?

No the Grade 2 for insurance...full days riding where your told to forget everything you learnt in pre-test lessons.

It was a full days riding. radio contact and and for example you would pass 4/5 road signs and he would ask you after a few minutes to tell him what they were!

Looking as far ahead as possible and using trees/poles etc. to judge the road direction.

Going over the white line in a serious of twisty for example to allow you to corner at speed safely, when clear to do so!! Going wide enabling you to see around the bend.

The riding with out using any brakes what-so ever, that one was interesting to say the least.

Tons more on road training + Class room..... a must for any biker I think!!

I done mine with Peter Bookey, top chap and excellent rider/teacher

Only problem is the above riding will make you fail your test......just shows you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

i have the old style paper permit,is it true that pasding a test with that licence is only an a2 since the category changes???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

yep, it sure is... next step, start planning a road trip through europe :D

:Dcome join me and the civvie on this in sept http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056990604:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Positioning was the only thing I got marked down for on the test. When you're at a junction make sure that you go to the extreme left or right of the lane to indicate which way you are turning (or in the middle if straight on). I didn't go quite to the edge of the lane so I got marked down a bit for that.

Also I was taught that it was:
    M = Mirror
    I = Indicator
    L = Lifesaver
    F = F*CKING Manoeuvre

The 'F*CKING' was to emphasise that you manoeuvre confidently and without delay but really I think it's just because my instructor wanted the acronym to be MILF. :-D

Nice one davey! I have to say each time I thought "MILM" i thought, it would be much more memorable as "MILF" i like it!

Serious, that does sound like it could be interesting but some friends from germany and I are toying with the idea of going from Germany to Turkey... A gang of them usually fly over each year to a holiday home they own there, this time we're thinking about touring there, them in an old VW camper and the rest of us on bikes... if it happens it could be awesome!

• Advertisement

Passed my test yesterday!
    and this post was one of the last things I read before it, its a handy collection of things to think about.
    new license, new bike, new weather, what more could you ask for.
    the third one was more a request, please some new weather

Lost

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Passed my test yesterday!
    and this post was one of the last things I read before it, its a handy collection of things to think about.
    new license, new bike, new weather, what more could you ask for.
    the third one was more a request, please some new weather

Lost

Well Done...its a great feeling isnt it.;)

it is indeed, was smiling like a loon for the rest of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So, I'm doing my test soon, booked today, so just waiting on a call or email saying when I am booked in for. I can't fookin wait :D

So, I'm doing my test soon, booked today, so just waiting on a call or email saying when I am booked in for. I can't fookin wait :D

Good stuff, do they test you in cars down that neck of the woods or have they saved up enough for bikes?

Seems the testers are gradually getting bikes to do the tests at last...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Bikes. If it's Ballincollig then the tester is very good in my experience. I guess I would say that considering he passed me but he gave some good feedback on more advanced skills too which was appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Have mine tomorrow in ballincollig, I feel unprepared, have been bogged down by college work big time. Reading through this thread is great tho for a bit more preparation. One thing I know I'll have trouble with is putting the centre stand down, I couldn't do it before due to my slight build and feel I might topple it over, my own bike has the side stand( won't be using it)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Have mine tomorrow in ballincollig, I feel unprepared, have been bogged down by college work big time. Reading through this thread is great tho for a bit more preparation. One thing I know I'll have trouble with is putting the centre stand down, I couldn't do it before due to my slight build and feel I might topple it over, my own bike has the side stand( won't be using it)

You will not be asked to put the bike on the centre stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Roadcraft wrote: »
    You will not be asked to put the bike on the centre stand.

Phew, that's a pleasant surprise. I think I should do well and pass, just have the last minute jitters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

Let us know how you fared . Good Luck !

Advertisement