Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Up for Motorcycle Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭robinwing

Well done !! congratulations ,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Would it be recommended to book the bike test in a centre with a higher pass rate, or one I live in?

I wouldn't mind booking the test in Sligo (where I'm from) which has an almost 70% pass rate, while Finglas (I live in North Dublin) has a pass rate of 41%.

Just won't wanna have to sit and fail if it makes a big difference where I book.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

AFAIK those pass rates are predominately for cars.

They might not reflect the pass rate for bike tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Would it be recommended to book the bike test in a centre with a higher pass rate, or one I live in?

I wouldn't mind booking the test in Sligo (where I'm from) which has an almost 70% pass rate, while Finglas (I live in North Dublin) has a pass rate of 41%.

Just won't wanna have to sit and fail if it makes a big difference where I book.

Honestly I think the route/traffic flow has a lot more to do with it than the pass rate. I went for mine in Navan (even though I lived in Blanchardstown) as there is only 1 route that is used so once you have a few lessons around it and get to know it you should be okay. Its also a fairly quiet town (at times) and wouldn't have the complex junctions (cant really think of any other word to describe them) that say Finglas would.

At the end of the day though unless you know your stuff and are comfortable on the bike you are doomed to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Honestly I think the route/traffic flow has a lot more to do with it than the pass rate. I went for mine in Navan (even though I lived in Blanchardstown) as there is only 1 route that is used so once you have a few lessons around it and get to know it you should be okay. Its also a fairly quiet town (at times) and wouldn't have the complex junctions (cant really think of any other word to describe them) that say Finglas would.

At the end of the day though unless you know your stuff and are comfortable on the bike you are doomed to fail.

I'd go along with that. Get pre-tests and practice lots is my advice (stating the obvious I know!) that way you won't have to make up lame excuses for failing like yer man above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

I passed mine in Tallaght - used the instructors bike and gear. Went over the route a few times which really helped and spent time on difficult junctions to make sure I got them in different traffic conditions. Really knew his stuff and explained it very well.
    Wouldn't have passed it without his knowledge if I'm honest. irishmotorcycletraining.com ask for Tony - someone put his number up earlier on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 poshea69

well done......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Congrats! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Hey Guys, so I successfully passed my category A bike test yesterday in Finglas on my 2nd attempt woohoo :) Wet, windy and almost in rush hour just after 9am. Not ideal.

1st attempt I had an almost faultless ride until almost the end where I was coming up to a right hand turn at a yellow box junction with traffic lights. I did my lifesaver to the right too early and missed the lights changing from green to orange so when I looked forward again it was too late to stop, so I sailed through an orange light to an automatic fail. :(

2nd time around wasn't as perfect. (More nerves this time around.) I managed to obey all traffic lights this time but I had 6 minor errors and all of them were to do with turning left at T junctions where I was too close to the kerb (I was still a foot or 2 away!) and I done too many lifesavers (1 before the white line as I tilted the bike and maneuvered into position and one before I took the turn itself.)

I had a few pre-tests with the lads in Aaron rider training (http://www.aaronridertraining.com/) before hand and they where excellent, I would have been applying for a third test if it wasn't for them. Eric was the guy that coached me and I highly recommend him to brush up on your skills.

so the tester first went through the documentation for me and the bike, signed a few forms and then asked me a few standard rules of the road questions in the room, about the meaning of white lines on the road, speed limits and when to use lifesavers, then some traffic signs, purpose of box junction, when to enter when to exit and what could cause skidding on the road. We then went outside and asked me about pre-checks, (I went through the B.O.L.T.S) where to check the oils, brake fluids, tyre depth, checking electrics, taking on and off the stand (center and side stand) and then walking the bike forward. (Not backwards.)

Next was onto the road and it was almost the standard Finglas test route I was bright through in the pre-tests. Lots of left and right junctions, yields and stops, driving through estates, hill start, emergency stop, slow riding, a lane change and a u-turn then back to the test center.

After I passed and left it was straight to Insomnia for a coffee and to fill in the full licence form and then to the NDLS in Clarehall (I had prepared and had all my docs I needed with me) where I got in with no queue :P and go through the whole licence process etc.

What I didn't realise was I have to wear the L vest and I'm not allowed onto the motorway until I get the actual licence. That sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good work fella,

Although one thing on your first test

"I was coming up to a right hand turn at a yellow box junction with traffic lights. I did my lifesaver to the right too early "

Why are you doing a lifesaver on a normal right hand turn? surely the key here is to keep to the extreme right mirror check and complete the turn.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Good work fella,

Although one thing on your first test

"I was coming up to a right hand turn at a yellow box junction with traffic lights. I did my lifesaver to the right too early "

Why are you doing a lifesaver on a normal right hand turn? surely the key here is to keep to the extreme right mirror check and complete the turn.

I was taking right and crossing traffic like the black car in the picture. There was no on coming traffic and I was already in the offside position of the lane. I was just about to enter the yellow box and tilt my bike to start the turn, so I did a lifesaver to the right hand side to make sure there was nothing along side me, but I did it before the junction the lights turned on me while I was still looking around. So when I looked back straight ahead it was too late to stop and I went through the yellow light. I should have entered the box first and then done my lifesaver before I turned.

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I was taking right and crossing traffic like the black car in the picture. There was no on coming traffic and I was already in the offside position of the lane. I was just about to enter the yellow box and tilt my bike to start the turn, so I did a lifesaver to the right hand side to make sure there was nothing along side me, but I did it before the junction the lights turned on me while I was still looking around. So when I looked back straight ahead it was too late to stop and I went through the yellow light. I should have entered the box first and then done my lifesaver before I turned.

I could be wrong, (anyone please correct me)

But i dont think a lifesaver is required nor mandatory in that specific scenario.

It may be more dangerous to take a life save in that situation rather than look at traffic oncoming and traffic to the road you are turning into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I could be wrong, (anyone please correct me)

But i dont think a lifesaver is required nor mandatory in that specific scenario.

It may be more dangerous to take a life save in that situation rather than look at traffic oncoming and traffic to the road you are turning into.

If you're turning or changing road position a lifesaver (shoulder check) is required.

zubair wrote: »
    If you're turning or changing road position a lifesaver (shoulder check) is required.

If you are in the road position already Having completed a life saver as the OP was he had lifesavered into that extreme right position to turn. Then a lifesaver is not required on the turn. That would be just dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

There is 1 needed BEFORE moving to position on road for turn, and another BEFORE comitting to turn.

There is 1 needed BEFORE moving to position on road for turn, and another BEFORE comitting to turn.

Fair enough, Ive never done it and passed the test first time with one of the most militant testers to grace Dublin.

Im struggling to see the need to life save back to that lane when you are in the correct road position on the turn. But fair enough.

Just ends up with you looking all over the place not sure what it is meant to provide for a car overtaking you ?? surely thats negated by you being in position extreme right (in this scenario)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The test is done by the book. The book says you must do it.
    Its basically a test to check if you can ride like Miss Daisy following all the rules of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Fair enough, Ive never done it and passed the test first time with one of the most militant testers to grace Dublin.

Im struggling to see the need to life save back to that lane when you are in the correct road position on the turn. But fair enough.

Just ends up with you looking all over the place not sure what it is meant to provide for a car overtaking you ?? surely thats negated by you being in position extreme right (in this scenario)

I was taught lifesaver, take your position, then mirror, signa,l shoulder check, turn. Seemed to work for me. I guess you could mix up a shoulder check and life saver and it wouldn't be spotted.

I was taught to just do a mirror check to get into position for a turn (not a lane change) and a shoulder check before you tilt and commit to the turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Potential morons attempting to overtake you on the right, including cyclists, or motorbikes, or someone turning right and cutting past you before you turn.

I've had the first happen on a push bike despite correct positioning and an arm out for indicating.

• Advertisement

Gavin wrote: »
    Potential morons attempting to overtake you on the right, including cyclists, or motorbikes, or someone turning right and cutting past you before you turn.

I've had the first happen on a push bike despite correct positioning and an arm out for indicating.

Turning left is especially bad, I have it happen to me a couple times a week turning left onto the quays from westmoreland street, cyclists just ignore the left signal and keep going as you're turning. Yet they won't do it to a car or bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,698 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you're as far left as can be, then nobody can pass you on the inside. I often do this just in case a cyclist doesn't understand what a left indicator means. If you occupy the space they'd use then they can't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

dwelby101 wrote: »
    2 - Things to know about the bike

A) Where and how the oil can be checked /added
    B) where and how the coolant can be checked / added
    C) Where and how to check the break pads
    D) Where and how to check the break fluid levels
    E) Where and how to check the tire pressure
    F) How to check tire thread depth
    G) What to look for in chain slack & how to adjust

Hi, I have my test in a few weeks. I'm not too hot on the basics mechanics, but drive quite a bit - I think my driving will be okay but I am struggling with the basic checks. Can I check my answers for the things to know about the bike?

A) Oil is checked by checking the level on the tank (?) next to the rear brake pedal. Oil is added by by unscrewing the thing and adding.
    B) Coolant is added to the same place??? It is checked by???
    C) Break pads are checked via physical inspection for wear and tear? Any specifics??
    D) Break fluids are checked by checking the levels in the little pot thing in the dash for the front break, and in under the passenger seat for the rear break. Fluid is added by opening the caps and topping up?
    E) Tyre pressure should be checked by pressing the tyre and checking it is not soft.
    F) To check tread, visually inspect the tyre, and check the little nipple (?) is more than 1mm away from the outside of the groove.
    G) Pull the chain down, there should be some give (about 1 inch??). If there is too much or not enough, you need use the wrench and tighten/loosen the bolt, next to the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

little oil window on the side of the engine. Get the bike up straight first.

coolant depends on the bike, just google coolant reservoir and the bike that you're doing the test on. either a bottle on the side or under the seat.

brake pads have little grooves cut into them and you can see how much material is left by visual inspection

brake fluid checking on the little reservoir on the bars and depending on the bike generally just near the rear brake on the right side

tyre pressure checked with a gauge either at home or at a petrol station..

minimum tread depth is 1mm on motorcycles, measure with a ruler or a 50 cent coin, that little ridge around the outside is 1mm deep, but you should never ever ride with a tyre like that. the wear marker blocks are at 3mm.
    other thing to check on tyre, tread depth, pressure, cracks, age, foreign objects, shape or deformations

about an inch of play in the chain. Check for any wear, excessive dirt, tight spots, rust, slack, and general chain health. To tighten or loosen you take out the cotter pin, crack the bolt, and tighten or loosen each of the two bolts at the rear of the swingarm to set the slack. to make sure the tyre is sitting straight there are little iiiIIIiiiIIiii marks along the bolt on either side to ensure the left side and right side are sitting straight, you'll see this if you have a quick look yourself. Make sure you tighten the bolt and put the pin back in after.

I have my test tomorrow at 12:30 so I hope all of that is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Deanaudia4

Best of luck with test..only have my provisional A since January..!so once 6 months is nearly there I'll be booking my full test...have Ibt and grade 2 done and using bike to commute to work save time sitting in traffic in van...ðŸðŸ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I did my test last week.

At the bike, I was asked about checking oil, front and rear brake fluid and check tyres.

Just make sure, that for checking fluids, the bike is up to temperature, and on the centre stand. Sidestand will not give correct reading, and a cold bike won't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Failed my test today. Bollocks anyway but I've nothing to blame except for myself not having enough practise on the bike. Have booked my retest already and I've ordered the restrictor for the sv and I'll get that insured next week.
    Did the test on a rented er5
    picked up a few grade 2 faults for rushing into junctions as he described, which is fair enough and I was doing too many lifesavers, just one good look needed.

Then totally ****ed it up on the U turn, I did one bad U turn and put my foot down, knew I could do a good tight one and asked could I do it again... While I'm doing it I just messed up the start of the turn and sat the bike upright and ended up going right up to the kerb loosing my balance and doing a one leg squat down with the bike. Didn't fall over (technically, thank f*ck) just got myself a nice grade 3 fault and a serious workout from the pistol squat.

Overall obviously very disappointed but the tester was genuinely very nice, and told me there was lots of nice riding just to rebook and try again and the ****ed up U turn just killed it for me. I hadn't really got a mark up until that point and it rattled me a bit.

First time riding in the rain too, that was a bastard. I have a 2 piece rain suit thing that I left in the car because the forecast said the rain was to be stopping at 12. I went on to determine that was a lie.

In hindsight I should've just spent the hour pretest doing slow control and U turns as a lot of the driving of the route during the pretest was stuff I was already grand at, and sitting at traffic lights (which I'm highly skilled at).

The questions were exactly what was said above here, and my answers turned out to be ok.

So in summary, **** it but sure look

Tough auld luck. Every day's a school day, and it sounds like you'e a good idea what to work on. Doing it on your own bike should stand to you next time.

At least you know whats involved now and what you have to work on. Just think about it, you'll be a better rider by the next text.

Better luck next time!

Did you do a pretest with an instructor before hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Failed my test today. Bollocks anyway but I've nothing to blame except for myself not having enough practise on the bike. Have booked my retest already and I've ordered the restrictor for the sv and I'll get that insured next week.
    Did the test on a rented er5
    picked up a few grade 2 faults for rushing into junctions as he described, which is fair enough and I was doing too many lifesavers, just one good look needed.

Then totally ****ed it up on the U turn, I did one bad U turn and put my foot down, knew I could do a good tight one and asked could I do it again... While I'm doing it I just messed up the start of the turn and sat the bike upright and ended up going right up to the kerb loosing my balance and doing a one leg squat down with the bike. Didn't fall over (technically, thank f*ck) just got myself a nice grade 3 fault and a serious workout from the pistol squat.

Overall obviously very disappointed but the tester was genuinely very nice, and told me there was lots of nice riding just to rebook and try again and the ****ed up U turn just killed it for me. I hadn't really got a mark up until that point and it rattled me a bit.

First time riding in the rain too, that was a bastard. I have a 2 piece rain suit thing that I left in the car because the forecast said the rain was to be stopping at 12. I went on to determine that was a lie.

In hindsight I should've just spent the hour pretest doing slow control and U turns as a lot of the driving of the route during the pretest was stuff I was already grand at, and sitting at traffic lights (which I'm highly skilled at).

The questions were exactly what was said above here, and my answers turned out to be ok.

So in summary, **** it but sure look

Unlucky- good to see some self-awareness and that you're man enough to admit errors. I know you're disappointed but take heart from the fact that next day out you'll feel a lot more confident knowing what you know now and will nail it.

Advertisement