Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brush Up for Motorcycle Test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

slinky2000 wrote: »
    At least you know whats involved now and what you have to work on. Just think about it, you'll be a better rider by the next text.

Better luck next time!

Did you do a pretest with an instructor before hand?
    I did a pretest this morning for 1 hour and had done 2 hours on the 25th of june, and my ibt in February, other than that hadn't been on a bike on the road! That's the thing alright I plan on being very competent for the next one. Not that I didn't take this one seriously or anything but just amount of work put in.. I'll be able to do a good few hours on my own and be ready for it
    Unlucky- good to see some self-awareness and that you're man enough to admit errors. I know you're disappointed but take heart from the fact that next day out you'll feel a lot more confident knowing what you know now and will nail it.
    It's a bad feeling now but like you say, I'll be ready for the next one. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Failed my test today.

Then totally ****ed it up on the U turn, I did one bad U turn and put my foot down, knew I could do a good tight one and asked could I do it again.

In hindsight I should've just spent the hour pretest doing slow control and U turns as a lot of the driving of the route during the pretest was stuff I was already grand at, and sitting at traffic lights (which I'm highly skilled at).

Sorry to hear you failed. Chin up.

With the u-turn. If you miss it first time, you get a mark. If you do it again, and get it right, that mark stays there. If you miss the u-turn the 2nd time, it's a 2nd mark against you. You really don't want to build up marks against, at any stage.

At least you have a good idea where you went wrong. I totally agree that doing some slow riding and u-turns before your test is a great thing to do. I also find that it helped calm me down, and slow me down.

Best of luck with the repeat.

yeah looking at my score sheet I got 5 grade 2 faults, and the grade 3 fault which failed me so I would have passed if I hadn't repeated the uturn, though I was convinced I'd do a tight U turn like I had been doing before, but anyway I didn't ride well enough for a full license today. I'll make sure to perfect the U turn but I wouldn't repeat the U turn again if it's messed up! Like you say once they give the mark it's there to stay, probably to stop people waving 50 euro notes at them

thanks for all the nice words anyway, every single biker I've spoken to so far about the whole process from the start has been nothing but helpful and encouraging. And like I've said I'll be heading into the next test in a much more practised position :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I have my test coming up in the next few weeks and wondering has anyone any idea on the test route around Tullamore?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

thanks for all the nice words anyway, every single biker I've spoken to so far about the whole process from the start has been nothing but helpful and encouraging. And like I've said I'll be heading into the next test in a much more practised position :D

:) If you'd asked me beforehand, I'd have said there is no way you could pass with IBT and 3 hours practice on the road. You did bloody well to get close to passing. It's all very well having control skills (off-road for instance) and knowing what you should be doing from IBT and rules of the road, but there really is no substitute for getting out there and doing it, doing it and doing it again until it's second nature. I'm sure you'll ace it next time.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

Had my test today in Tullamore and passed. I'm over the moon :) Think I might do some motorbike shopping and upgrade the SV650 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I passed yesterday in Finglas. Delighted that I passed !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well done lads, its a great feeling isnt it.....enjoy the errr summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

also had test this morning in tallaght, passed first time :). Feel like some supersport shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Hey lads, the missus has her test booked but no date yet. There's a member here on the bike forum that does lessons and IBT, does anyone has his name and number ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

D3V!L wrote: »
    Hey lads, the missus has her test booked but no date yet. There's a member here on the bike forum that does lessons and IBT, does anyone has his name and number ?

Yeah, I done my IBT with Mick on here 'LookBehindYou' is his username. Then I done my pretest and lessons with John from ISM in Finglas, I seen John recommended on a YouTube video, and gave him a shout(if you want his number PM me), he works for ISM and as it turned out I needed a bike from them so you need to do a lessons/pre test with them. Can't recommend them two guys enough.

Also two good books to read, 'The Policefoundation, Motorcycle Roadcraft' and 'How to pass that test' both are English ROTR but same principles, just on the Roadcraft stuff keep to the basics from IBT no need for the advanced stuff yet, but the diagrams are good and some good hints and tips from both books.

I have some DVD's from 'Ride Like A Pro' it's American, it's good but not worth the 100€ I paid for it and it lacks a lot of the stuff the RSA are looking for, but is a good DVD for going over the IBT stuff like figure of 8 etc.. If you are into that stuff.

The main other thing, get out there and practice, get into them housing estates around the test center, find out where and what too look for. I knew from around Finglas to expect there to be faded road markings to stop but there to be no stop sign, stuff like that. Don't neglect the basics either like the questions at the start of the test, he must have given me 10/12 questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Excellent Thread. Thanks to the OP.

Past my test in Galway. One fault, foot down on the U-Turn.
    I was using the instructors bike which I wasn't 100% comfortable on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Passed my test today in Wicklow and found this thread incredibly useful so thought I'd bump it.

I decided to give it a lash without a pre-test after getting the bike last June and commuting into Dublin daily over the winter.

I did make some minor mistakes but I don't think a pre-test would really have helped, as it was only nerves and over-thinking things that I'd normally do automatically. The biggest help was having months of daily practice which meant basic bike control wasn't an issue (it was during by IBT - I was woeful).

Practiced a u-turn on the way to the test after realising I'd left my L-vest at home. Amazing thing to forget since I wear it every day. :pac:

Now to learn how to go round corners properly....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Congrats, it is a great feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

Lumen wrote: »
    Passed my test today in Wicklow and found this thread incredibly useful so thought I'd bump it.

I decided to give it a lash without a pre-test after getting the bike last June and commuting into Dublin daily over the winter.

I did make some minor mistakes but I don't think a pre-test would really have helped, as it was only nerves and over-thinking things that I'd normally do automatically. The biggest help was having months of daily practice which meant basic bike control wasn't an issue (it was during by IBT - I was woeful).

Practiced a u-turn on the way to the test after realising I'd left my L-vest at home. Amazing thing to forget since I wear it every day. :pac:

Now to learn how to go round corners properly....

My test is coming soon, I am nervous as hell because I will have to rent out a bike from a school as mine does not have enough cc apparently. I wouldn't be worried nowhere near as much if i could use my own bike which I use every day. Jumping on another bike for the test while still being a noob is a scary thought and the rent is ranging from 200 to 250 which would make failing the test almost tear inducing as you would have to pay another 200 for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

crv wrote: »
    My test is coming soon, I am nervous as hell because I will have to rent out a bike from a school as mine does not have enough cc apparently. I wouldn't be worried nowhere near as much if i could use my own bike which I use every day. Jumping on another bike for the test while still being a noob is a scary thought and the rent is ranging from 200 to 250 which would make failing the test almost tear inducing as you would have to pay another 200 for the next one.

I had to do the same. Passed first time.

Stop stressing about it. The bike doesn't matter get acquainted with your own bike to in an inch of its life. What i mean by that is so slow maneovoures​ in an empty carpark every evening up until the test .

Get comfortable on the road get comfortable on the bike. And you can ride whatever bike is thrown at you.

Remember it's just a ride around with someone in your ear telling you directions of the ride.

Confidence and awareness that's all it is.

Get the practice started and keep it up regularly

crv I just saw your video on the dash cam thread. don't ride like that on your test if that is you..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Empty car park is the way to go, passed first time in Finglas today. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

scarebus03 wrote: »
    Empty car park is the way to go, passed first time in Finglas today. Delighted.

Well done. I passed there myself a few years back. Do the examiners use bikes now or is it still a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Well done. I passed there myself a few years back. Do the examiners use bikes now or is it still a car?

Thanks, they're still in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Faith+1 wrote: »

Both. Sometimes they're on a bike, and sometimes in a car. All depends. I had to repeat my test and the first time the examiner was on a bike, the 2nd time, the same guy was in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I just passed in Finglas. :-)

I have a 250 but took the test on the instructors 600 - it was a challenge to get used to the bigger bike. I did 4 hours pre test 4 weeks ago, and another 3 hours this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Cian_ok wrote: »
    I just passed in Finglas. :-)

I have a 250 but took the test on the instructors 600 - it was a challenge to get used to the bigger bike. I did 4 hours pre test 4 weeks ago, and another 3 hours this morning.

Well done, I passed this morning first time. Best feeling a government agency can supply I'd wager!

Does anyone know if its worth my time ringing Carole Nash and looking for some money back? I paid in a lump in September. I got no grade 1s and one grade 2 if its makes any difference.

ring to tell them you have the full license anyway worst thing they can do is say you get nothing back

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

ring to tell them you have the full license anyway worst thing they can do is say you get nothing back

Yeah I suppose, don't ask you won't get. I know a lad who got a quote for a car of 2300 while on a provisional but if he got the test it'd drop to 1300 and they'd refund him. Crazy stuff.

I paid 675 for two bikes so if I got 30 quid back I'd be chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crv

Passed the A2 test first time on a school bike, was nervous but all went good. I got 2 minor grade 1 faults for revving too high during the u turn and the slow ride, I think it was mostly because I wasn't used to the school bike. I wanted to say thanks to Wonda-Boy for helping me out, he showed me where the slow manoeuvres take place and the test routes in Navan, it was a huge help as the route I got in the test was almost identical to the one he showed me and I knew where to practice before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc1TX8naS4Q

Anyone doing their test in cavan here's a video I put together which might be of help.

I recommend you take a couple of lessons at least before your test, I found them a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Lad that is class, gonna go practice that route when I'm home. My test is mid October.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Lad that is class, gonna go practice that route when I'm home. My test is mid October.

Thanks again

Best of luck with your test. Your bike will be perfect for it too, Good lock for the u turn and smooth throttle. I did mine on the school CBF600, the SV is a bit torquey at low speed and not a great lock either.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Did mine on an SV650s so had clip ons too, never had a problem with the power, lots of back brake helps. Practice and it'll be easy. I just did figures of 8 in a car park until I was consistently doing my turns within 2 spaces.

You have the route now too, you'll ace it.

Advertisement