Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Natural" Forest Hikes?

Options
  • 04-12-2013 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, Im really sick of walking through Coilte forests at this stage, its actually putting me off hiking looking at them and the big clear cut chunks taken out of them all along the Wicklow Way, Im wondering what are the nicest natural hikes ie through old mixed forests with a chance of seeing a bit of nature not endless spruce/pine deserts? Mostly around North Wicklow/Dublin but also willing to travel around the country for particularly nice forests, any reccomendations appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Clara Vale Nature Reserve is the first that springs to mind and you can plan some quite decent hikes around the tracks there also taking in some hilly terrain around Trooperstown for example. For shorter walks there's always Glen of the Downs or Knocksink Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks Alun Clara looks like a good option, you always seem to pop up when I have a Bray/Wicklow related question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No Problem :) Here's an article in PDF form with some info on the Nature Reserve and the map extracted from the same PDF to print off. The map isn't great but it's difficult to get too lost!

If you just want to wander round the woods, then start at Clara Bridge (lovely spot in it's own right BTW). Just walk up the road a bit on the church side of the river and there's a well marked entrance to the reserve on your right. I think the longest looped walk starting from there in the reserve alone is around 10km

As mentioned there are also options to combine this with a longer walk over Trooperstown starting from various places in or around Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 johnington

Thargor I couldn't agree more! I hate the site of endless straight lines of pine forest with no undergrowth or nature.

Can't help you much on Wicklow but down here are some I've found down south.

The area around Killarny national park has lots of areas of natural woodland. The section of the Kerry way from Killarney to the black valley will have you walking through quite a bit of forest and is a great day out (about 28km).

Also Curraghchase in Limerick has quite a few nice walks through natve woodland. http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=109

Anybody have more suggestions?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Avondale forest park is quite pretty too http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

1. Deputy's pass is a nice mixed wooland stroll - although at 1 hour it is a bit short. You can lengthen it a good bit though as there is a mixed woodland stretch that goes on to Glenealy willage.
    2. The lower slopes of Carrick hill are a very attractive woodland mix (the upper slopes are mainly boring coillte plantations).
    3. Devils glen - mainly conifers but a lot of decideous trees mixed in too.
    4. Avoca woods up behind the village - spectacular in the autumn.
    5. further afield I would recommend the tommfinogue woods out past Tinehely. A bit of a trek south but worth it.

Also -
    1. Russletown woods beside the blessington lakes.
    2. Emo court - a long drive to be sure but worth it (exit 15 on the N7).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Mullaghmeen near Castlepollard & Oldcastle etc is a great place, lot of beech. At it's best in spring when the bluebells cover the woodland floor in places but I've been there in winter too when it's attractive in a different gaunt kinda way. Challenge might be finding it first though! Likewise, Dunari at Kingscourt is worth checking. Slish Woods in Sligo.

Glen of the Downs near Delgany, Knocksink Woods in Enniskerry, parts of Derrybawn Wood at Glendalough, Devil's Glen by the river walks near Ashford - loads of places if you look!

Edited to add: plenty of wildlife in some of the Dublin/Wicklow conifer woods - might be the wrong 'sort' though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Devils Glen is very nice I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I couldn't agree more!
    The difference in beauty between Native wild forest and a Pine plantation forest
    is Stark IMO.
    Not to mention the massive benefits to biodiversty and opportunities for foraging
    There is nothing on the forest floor of these pine deserts , Just's a desert of pine needles and old branches
    Society and government need to do more planting of Native trees (ya I know the socts pine is considered native

For visiting there's the millennium forests
    http://www.millenniumforests.com/location.html

I have been to the one at Glengarra In Galtee mountains, Gatlee castle woods is nearby as well Both just off Motorway
    recommended
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=116

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for that Cork Boy, think Ill cycle down to get a look at the Oak Millenium Forest at Ballygannon in the Spring, sounds good.

Are there forest hikes aound Powerscourt Waterfall do any of the Wicklow people know? I know the hike to Djouce Mountain takes you up over the falls but thats basically all forest plantation, I think on the opposite side to that (the Bray/Greystones side) along the road that takes you down to the waterfall there is nice looking forest, are there any trails in there?

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for that Cork Boy, think Ill cycle down to get a look at the Oak Millenium Forest at Ballygannon in the Spring, sounds good.

Are there forest hikes aound Powerscourt Waterfall do any of the Wicklow people know? I know the hike to Djouce Mountain takes you up over the falls but thats basically all forest plantation, I think on the opposite side to that (the Bray/Greystones side) along the road that takes you down to the waterfall there is nice looking forest, are there any trails in there?

If you mean before you get to the pay barrier, then I think it is mainly private property. After the pay barrier to the falls, there are some rather nice woods on your right as you drive down but they only cover a relatively small area of land. They are quite seculded and quiet - they can be accessed just after the pay barrier, from the wicklow way or from the crone woods side (if you dont want to pay the fiver entrance fee at powerscourt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Think he means the Long Hill side, yes lots of forest roads and mountain bike paths there, mostly conifer. Be well covered on our Wicklow East map.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

if anyone is heading to West Cork the INFF near Ballineen has some nice walks, they have regular open days or you can become a member for year round access:

http://www.inff.ie/index.php?id=47

Advertisement