Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

We're also looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses, I remember the 80's and living in 2 and then 5 channel Land (couldn't get Channel 4) The Late Late became a curse because there was usually something better on the other side on a Saturday Night/Friday Night (for a teenager that is)

What I do remember is that about half the shows were duds. There were general groans of misery when Gay would announce that this weeks show was devoted to one boring topic. In Cork many people couldn't get BBC or ITV so they were a captive audience.

All the fantastic shows are remembered. All the boring shows are forgotten. At least there is the internet today were everyone can laugh at the late late show together.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The problem as the OP mentions is complete loss of direction. With Tubridy, and even more so with Pat Kenny previously, it wouldnt really matter if you have a really interesting person on because the interview will still be boring!!

Tubridy is bad a lot of the time, but he's still not as bad as the first 7 or so years of Pat who was truly terrible at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Tubridy is bad a lot of the time, but he's still not as bad as the first 7 or so years of Pat who was truly terrible at times.

Pat is gone and hopefully this will be Tubridy's last season.

Pat is gone and hopefully this will be Tubridy's last season.

I thought he had more than one year to run on his contract. RTE will keep him for as long as he's signed up. I was under the impression that Pat left the Late Late because Pat wanted to go. His ratings were good and there was really no reason for RTE to get rid of him at the time.

I assume it will be the same for Tubridy. He's there until he goes or ratings dive below 400,000 on average. Even at that stage he'd probably be given another year to turn the ship around. The only hope Turbidy goes is if he wants to do something different in his life or the BBC come in with a big offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    They really just need to get the right presenter, and then give that presenter control (i.e. that the guest list isnt a promotional tool for other RTE shows....here is someone from Fair City, here is someone from Room to Improve, here is someone from whatever other show).

I actually think Brendan O'Connor is a far better presenter, and would be a better option for the LLS. There are loads of others that spring to mind. Claire Byrne is really good. Emma O'Driscoll is the most natural TV presenter on RTE. Outside of RTE, Ian Dempsey if he was interested would be good at it.

Just seems to be whoever happens to be in the canteen half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

This is RTE and this is The Late Late, (says the Spartan working in the canteen).

Here are some rock solid truths:

Tubbs will never be sacked from the LLS regardless of ratings.
    They would axe the show before they axe tubbs.
    His defeat will be blamed on the LLS and they would scrap it and create a new show before sacking Tubbs.
    He is RTE royalty, so talent is not required. Our only hope is him quitting due to an offer somewhere else or shame.
    He was raised for that job.

They use to say about the likes of Gerry 'the real thing' Ryan that we should pay them huge fees because otherwise they'd all go to the BBC or other stations....that was funny then and it's still funny now.
    Also where's the downside? RTE would need audition and hire actual talent? ;)

Next seasons guests:
    Pleople from new RTE shows, be they reality based or not.
    Nial Horan's brother,
    Someone from Fianna Fail to drink cocoa and tell us warm fish tales about the good old days.
    Twink
    Linda Martin.
    Louis Walsh
    Louis Walsh
    Hector
    Louis Walsh
    That RTE presenter who nearly got an audition for the new Star Wars
    Liam Neeson, 'So the wife died on the aul' slopes there. Do you still ski?'

For Reals wrote: »
    This is RTE and this is The Late Late, (says the Spartan working in the canteen).

Here are some rock solid truths:

Tubbs will never be sacked from the LLS regardless of ratings.
    They would axe the show before they axe tubbs.
    His defeat will be blamed on the LLS and they would scrap it and create a new show before sacking Tubbs.
    He is RTE royalty, so talent is not required. Our only hope is him quitting due to an offer somewhere else or shame.
    He was raised for that job.

They use to say about the likes of Gerry 'the real thing' Ryan that we should pay them huge fees because otherwise they'd all go to the BBC or other stations....that was funny then and it's still funny now.
    Also where's the downside? RTE would need audition and hire actual talent? ;)

Next seasons guests:
    Pleople from new RTE shows, be they reality based or not.
    Nial Horan's brother,
    Someone from Fianna Fail to drink cocoa and tell us warm fish tales about the good old days.
    Twink
    Linda Martin.
    Louis Walsh
    Louis Walsh
    Hector
    Louis Walsh
    That RTE presenter who nearly got an audition for the new Star Wars
    Liam Neeson, 'So the wife died on the aul' slopes there. Do you still ski?'

I agree with almost all that you say, However the point about Gerry Ryan, he did seem to keep 2FM moving, They were profitable (In RTE accounting practice ways) while he was on air. Once he died, the station fell apart.

If Tubbs Left 2FM in the morning, ratings would probably rise. In real terms there were only 3 people in the last 20 years that could have gotten anything close to RTE wages in the Independent sector
    Pat (surprisingly)
    Gerry
    and
    Gay
    All the rest earn far too much (with possibly the exception of Joe Duffy) However nothing will change unless ratings went through the floor, which will never happen.

Gerry Ryan was popular on the radio but they/he kept trying TV. Awful stuff.
    Tubbs has nothing going and the whole trying to reformat line is wearing thin. He thinks he's a 1960's US talk show host. He's not and as was pointed out earlier, those days are gone. He simply does not have the personality, wit or knowledge required for today's media savvy and informed guest or audience for that matter.

Gerry Ryan was popular on the radio but they/he kept trying TV. Awful stuff.
    Tubbs has nothing going and the whole trying to reformat line is wearing thin. He thinks he's a 1960's US talk show host. He's not and as was pointed out earlier, those days are gone. He simply does not have the personality, wit or knowledge required for today's media savvy and informed guest or audience for that matter.

Agree with all this... Ryan was not great on TV, but he did pay the bills for RTE at the end of the day. He did say he was value for money and he's really one of 3 or 4 that can really claim that they draw viewers or listeners (there are others...Looking your way Marion...that can make no such claim)

Anyone that was half decent could host the Late Late and still get 400,000 plus on a Friday Night, Maybe a lot more. It's hard wired onto a huge part of the population that the Late Late has got to be on. When Pat was having terrible shows for much of his reign, the ratings were still fantastic.

Tubbs does have the ability to host Radio shows and TV shows, just not the ones RTE give him. A few years in the BBC would do him the world of good, and at the same time free up the Late Late, but we'd probably end up with another old RTE face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

As bad as pat Kenny was I think Ryan tubridy (dlb) is way way way worse.

Consistently bad.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    As bad as pat Kenny was I think Ryan tuntidy (dlb) is way way way worse.

Consistently bad.

Agree

Here's the problem, we're not discussing who the best host was, we're discussing who's the worst. Every time a see a terrible Tubbs piece from the web, soon after you see a Pat moment. Plus Pat has a huge advantage, there's less of Pats mistakes going around because Social Media wasn't as popular/didn't exist in his early years. Recording good phone footage has only happened over the last few years.

The Question I would ask, Does anyone out there think that Tubbs is great at hosting the Late Late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Question I would ask, Does anyone out there think that Tubbs is great at hosting the Late Late?

Mrs. Tubridy Snr.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

amdublin wrote: »
    As bad as pat Kenny was I think Ryan tubridy (dlb) is way way way worse.

Consistently bad.

That is very true. Pat Kenny I felt had some bad shows too especially in his later years. But he was a much better presenter and was not falling all over the likes of Louis Walsh like Tubridy.

Unfortunately, the guest list has not changed since Kenny's tenure. We are as likely to see Twink, Louis Walsh, the latest in season boyband, etc. under both. But the presentation is a lot poorer.

When Tubridy came on board first, it seemed like a new era. Kenny's last 2 years or so were very poor and Tubridy's first season was a moderate improvement on that. But by his 2011-2012 season, Tubridy's show was spiralling downwards in a way that made Kenny's last 2 years classic by comparison. But then Tubridy's 2012-13 and 2013-14 shows surpassed everything and brought the show to new levels of poor. Overall, we can expect Tubridy's show as consistently poor or bad indeed: with Kenny, it was more hit and miss with the good and bad equally likely to feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I thought he had more than one year to run on his contract. RTE will keep him for as long as he's signed up. I was under the impression that Pat left the Late Late because Pat wanted to go. His ratings were good and there was really no reason for RTE to get rid of him at the time.

I assume it will be the same for Tubridy. He's there until he goes or ratings dive below 400,000 on average. Even at that stage he'd probably be given another year to turn the ship around. The only hope Turbidy goes is if he wants to do something different in his life or the BBC come in with a big offer.

Like most people I was all for giving Tubridy a chance but he's had 4 years now and its been pretty turgid stuff. People are saying its not his fault, its because they don't get top quality guests anymore on the LLS. Anytime they do bring A1 celebrities on the show such as the Anchorman Cast, Samuel Jackson or Jonah Hill, its been awful, like a star struck spotty teenager interviewing them, so that blows that argument apart. Now they are saying they will change the set...seriously, how is that supposed to improve the show? Sounds to me they have run out of ideas and this presenter has run out of road.
    The only way to change things would be some big protest such as 100,000 refusing to pay their licence fee until the LLS gets a proper presenter.

realweirdo wrote: »
    The only way to change things would be some big protest such as 100,000 refusing to pay their licence fee until the LLS gets a proper presenter.

Not that many people care, most people think it's rubbish but they'll still keep tuning in. Ryan will stumble on, at some point he'll have a good interview or even a good show and that wiill be used to defend him for the following four or five years. The only way this will change is if he goes to the BBC who would be the only other organisation that would be willing to employ him. Commercial Radio here wouldn't pay him what he wants and for commercial broadcasters in Britain they have some people hosting national Shows and they're not paying them anything at all! They're aren't going to be paying Ryan the 1000 pounds a radio show that would be his minimum.

When Tubridy finally does finish up, can he please be replaced with someone attractive and easy on the eye? I don't think that is too much to ask is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The only thing is that Tubbs goes along with the idea of the producers from behind the scenes most of the time. Those same producers will believe that they will bring in guests and ask the questions that will make them suit their audience. I find it really lazy on the part of the producers to say to Tubbs that they can't find the top guests for the LLS anymore. I believe they will say that to him because it's probably in their mindset to be as really lazy as possible to constantly bring in guests from either the RTE canteen or the sob stories nearly every single week.

Every time the odd week where the A-List stars come in, some of them would experience the following from the LLS

1) The woeful and poor quality of the questions coming out from Tubridy
    2) A recorded interview - meaning the live audience for the night won't be able to see them in person even when they applied for the tickets
    3) A short interview - meaning that when the stars do turn up live for the night, the interview doesn't last more when they even try to settle in

The producers themselves by and large are a central part of the problem for not trying to go far enough with the show to maximise their audience and to keep it steady for every single week after that and so forth.

Even Tubridy's interactions with the audience can even be more cringeworthy because their involvement happens way too often. Even though they turned up on the show. They would expect to have a standard that is both different and enjoyable every week and also not unlike the same experience when watching it on their TV set at home. The sole focus of the show is not to be for the audience to be totally ridiculed every single week, their focus is meant to be having a happy and enjoyable experience from week to week when the show is on air.

Tubridy and his back room team are missing that very point of providing entertainment that is meant to be more or even less than adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When Tubridy finally does finish up, can he please be replaced with someone attractive and easy on the eye? I don't think that is too much to ask is it?

martymorrisey.jpg

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    martymorrisey.jpg

Wahey! Marty for the LLS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

“We’re back in the game and back in the saddle and good to go until Christmas. Christmas is the next time we get a holiday. “It is going to be chaotic between here and then. I am even thinking about the Toy Show.” He said he is determined to brush up his culinary skills as he has become more health conscious since turning 40.
    “I am getting ready for the autumn,” he said.
    “I want to try and start eating better foods. I am at an age now where I am becoming more conscious of these things.
    “I made a lamb stew and a bloody good chicken curry last week.
    “It’s nice to be eating fresher types of food.”
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tubridy-wants-to-play-his-part-in-late-late-facelift-282383.html

I think we are stuck with Tubridy for the foreseeable. But here are some minor suggestions that would improve things somewhat:

1. Get rid of the band playing silly introes to the guests. This is cringeworthy and stupid.
    2. As a big Love/Hate fan, I will be interested in seeing hopefully Tom Vaughn Lawlor (Nidge) interviewed but will be shocked to see Tubridy's lack of knowledge about the show! And this is not just with Love/Hate: everyone out there has their favourite show or film and they will see Tubridy's lack of knowledge and preference to divert talk to other things. I am sure if he has Peter Coonan (Fran) on, he'll ask about his real life baby! Tubridy un-coola boola!
    3. Stop all this star struck idolatry of boybands he has.
    4. Frame questions better and ask interesting ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

They should get rid of all singers that aren't big enough that they're already celebrities in their own right. The Boyzone on the Late Late Show segment is a great clip to put on the likes of Reeling in the Years but it was a one-off, it will never happen again. There should be no music performances either, everyone has different music tastes. When they have music on I generally roll my eyes and switch to another channel.

Get rid of Tubridy. Get rid of the misery slot unless it's something really worthwhile and current. Have some big celebrities when you can get them, more interesting people who you know you should be interested in but mightn't be cool and flashy, and homegrown talent like Dunphy or Fintan O' Toole and even the likes of John Waters, not random writers that nobody cares about looking to plug their book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

and no interviewing rte employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

ghiertal wrote: »
    “I made a lamb stew and a bloody good chicken curry last week. It’s nice to be eating fresher types of food.”
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tubridy-wants-to-play-his-part-in-late-late-facelift-282383.html

Certainly better than that diet of heroin and hookers he was during season 1 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rose of Tralee better be on the first LLS or else I'm boycotting it.

I'd imagine the bookers are furiously making calls to book her at the moment.

They should get rid of all singers that aren't big enough that they're already celebrities in their own right. The Boyzone on the Late Late Show segment is a great clip to put on the likes of Reeling in the Years but it was a one-off, it will never happen again. There should be no music performances either, everyone has different music tastes. When they have music on I generally roll my eyes and switch to another channel.

Get rid of Tubridy. Get rid of the misery slot unless it's something really worthwhile and current. Have some big celebrities when you can get them, more interesting people who you know you should be interested in but mightn't be cool and flashy, and homegrown talent like Dunphy or Fintan O' Toole and even the likes of John Waters, not random writers that nobody cares about looking to plug their book.

The main problem with the Late Late Show is it does not know what it is. It seems to plod along as a bit of everything.

Music: The Late Late Show has in recent times been a very poor showcase for music. I can't remember much memorable or worthwhile music performances on the show. Most good music people are it seems either dead, retired, not in Ireland or not interested in singing on this show! Thus we are top heavy on the boybands and all that awful Mike Denver type stuff. Leave the music to the Imelda May Show: she knows her music as she is a singer.

Misery Slot: Cancer, ALS/Motor Neurone Disease, depression, MS, drug addictions, etc. are all unfortunately horrible issues and do need to be put out there for public awareness. But again Tubridy's show is not the place to make awareness of these. Have some medical programme dealing with this run by people who are trained to talk to people with such conditions. I get the feeling people with these conditions are paraded on this show and Tubridy has been known to upset them with stupid questions. It is not right making entertainment out of other peoples' misfortune. And Tubridy ain't a good counsellor. Anything but.

Tubridy with any guest: Some of the gems to be featured include: 'How do you like Ireland', 'What's your connection to Ireland', 'I see you got married and have had your first child. He/she is beautiful', etc. He ruins interviews with even the best of guests with this stuff.

Interesting guests: Now I know it is hard to run a show that lasts around 30 weeks each year and have something interesting on all the time. But surely a better effort could be made. For example, it is not everyday Tom Cruise pops into his studio but Tubridy completely ruins this once-off occasion with a stupid interview. I'm sure Tom was glad to leave! He also made a complete hash (forgive the pun!) of the Love/Hate interview last year as well and showed he knew nothing about the show. And to top it all off: the infamous Nigella Lawson interview where he kept telling her he'd cook for her. You'd hear more intelligent conversation at closing time on a Saturday night from the local pub's drunkards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Staid and unimaginative sums up the LLS in recent years. I can't see it being any different this year. It seems to me its just a group of people going through the motions and collecting big pay packets despite being awful at their jobs.
    There is no way RTE would ever get rid of Tubridy in any situation and something tells me the BBC are not ready to give him a big show on a permanent basis. So that's it, get used to Tubridy for the next 20 years and some awful TV of a friday night that most of us won't be able to watch despite paying for it.
    As for potential hosts in the unlikely event it does happen, I thought Brian Dobson was funny when the anchorman cast were on. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but he surely couldn't do any worse and at least he has a sense of humour.

realweirdo wrote: »
    Staid and unimaginative sums up the LLS in recent years. I can't see it being any different this year. It seems to me its just a group of people going through the motions and collecting big pay packets despite being awful at their jobs.
    There is no way RTE would ever get rid of Tubridy in any situation and something tells me the BBC are not ready to give him a big show on a permanent basis. So that's it, get used to Tubridy for the next 20 years and some awful TV of a friday night that most of us won't be able to watch despite paying for it.
    As for potential hosts in the unlikely event it does happen, I thought Brian Dobson was funny when the anchorman cast were on. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but he surely couldn't do any worse and at least he has a sense of humour.

This is very true. Tubridy is awful at what he does and yet he still gets paid obscene money for doing very little. 100s of 1000s for a 15 hour week comprised of acting the idiot. Nice work if you can get it!

ANYBODY could present this show better than Tubridy. Brian Dobson would be a huge improvement for sure. Useless is too kind a word for this show and what it has become. And it is obvious that the presenter and his style has most to do with this. Any guest no matter who they are (even Mike Denver!) I'm sure have something interesting to talk about if the right presenter was there. Tubridy just talks about babies, Irishness, and name drops a lot (how many times do you hear him mention the name Louis Walsh to other guests for example), etc. and it is staid, predictable and boring.

Pat Kenny's Late Late Show was far from perfect either but in the grand scheme of things, these seem like the good old days now. You would not have this silly band intros with Kenny like 'give me hope Joanna for Joanne O'Riordan for starters. Plus he seemed to be a lot more intelligent and knowledgeable on topics. Why Tubridy was chosen to succeed him I don't know. Miriam or many others would have been a far better choice for sure. Tubridy is the most mediocre chat show host RTE ever had and no one there seems to be aware of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Why Tubridy was chosen to succeed him I don't know. Miriam or many others would have been a far better choice for sure. Tubridy is the most mediocre chat show host RTE ever had and no one there seems to be aware of this.

Funny how virtually nobody remembers Tubridy Tonight now... :D:);)

• Advertisement

. Tubridy is the most mediocre chat show host RTE ever had and no one there seems to be aware of this.

That's true enough, but half the problem here is that they have only had 3 or 4 chat show hosts over the last 10 years. They're not exactly eager to try out new talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I remember it, Not a day that goes by I don't think about it. :mad: :(

Evening Herald
    MELANIE FINN SHOWBUSINESS EDITOR – 26 FEBRUARY 2009

RTE's Ryan Tubridy is the latest big star to be targeted in a Facebook hate page
    The Herald can reveal that the Saturday night chat show host is being heavily criticised on a page set up on the popular social networking site.
    An 'event' has been set up entitled 'Taking Tubbers Down' and scheduled at the RTE studios for April 4, starting at 10pm -- the same slot as his programme.

he well-known presenter, who recently presented the IFTAs, is one of a few remaining RTE stars including Gerry Ryan refusing to take a pay-cut.

Ryan_Herald

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tubridy-targeted-by-vicious-hate-mob-27902846.html

The sad truth of it is RTE could not care less what we think.
    The fact Tubbs got the job in the first place says it all. He grew up from RTE stock, within RTE. He is the poster boy for nepotsm and the proof of all that is wrong with it.
    What we have is the like of Louis Walsh, Linda Martin or whomever ruling the roost blathering on about what ever and Tubbs nodding along looking for approval with the odd highly strung 'Acting the maggot' thrown in.

There are many many good musicians and bands in Ireland but its the producers who choose...there in lies the answer to 'Why all the bland music?' Louis Walsh gets a slot for whom ever, when ever. And you can be sure the other acts have some friend of a friend in there some where.

What they need do with the format is have the big topic question, with a panel. Discuss it, take a call or two. Next segment have a guest, maybe with an opinion on that topic. Break it up with a musical act. Bring on another guest to lighten things, do the quiz or what ever. Roll end credits....y'know like the good Late Lates.
    They are caught between the lightest of entertainment and depression all captained by a twit, and a houseband of tits.

MELANIE FINN SHOWBUSINESS EDITOR – 26 FEBRUARY 2009

The well-known presenter, who recently presented the IFTAs, is one of a few remaining RTE stars including Gerry Ryan refusing to take a pay-cut.
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/tubridy-targeted-by-vicious-hate-mob-27902846.html
    An illustration of his hypocrisy;
    "I have delivered every time a knock has come on my door for a pay cut. I have taken at least 32pc already. I will not be found wanting. I never have in the past and I won't be in the future," Ryan said.
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/they-can-cut-my-495k-pay-even-more-insists-tubridy-29219196.html

I remember it and Tubridy was better here for some reason. By no means was TT a classic show but he seemed more suited here for some reason. Plus it was shorter: again, the length of the Friday show means a lot of filler is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'd like to see someone like Anne Doyle hosting the Late Late. I think she could be good.

She's obviously got the serious interviews down and she seems to have a good sense of humour in the casual interviews I've seen with her.

I was watching old LLS debates a while back and it used to be riveting television.

That's true enough, but half the problem here is that they have only had 3 or 4 chat show hosts over the last 10 years. They're not exactly eager to try out new talent.

That is very true. I guess it has always been like this. Gaybo of course dominated everything early on. Then, it was all Pat Kenny. Interestingly enough, they don't have Tubridy doing everything: he does not do Rose of Tralee and other things for example.

Anyone would do the Late Late Show better than Tubridy. I don't get why he talks the same talk to all his guests at all times. He closes down interesting potential conversation by his obsession with babies and asking what guests think of Ireland and the Irish.

A major problem with this Thread is that RTE and the Management don't agree with it. They don't think there's a problem. It might not be perfect but a new set will sort that out.

We might as well be shouting down a well for all the good it does us. As long as RTE are happy nothing is going to change.

That is very true. I guess it has always been like this. Gaybo of course dominated everything early on. Then, it was all Pat Kenny. Interestingly enough, they don't have Tubridy doing everything: he does not do Rose of Tralee and other things for example.

Anyone would do the Late Late Show better than Tubridy. I don't get why he talks the same talk to all his guests at all times. He closes down interesting potential conversation by his obsession with babies and asking what guests think of Ireland and the Irish.

I think the fact that he said that he is looking forward to the Toy Show says a lot about him. He seems to build his whole season around a show that a preschool teacher could probably present. He doesn't want to engage in any current affairs debate and is keen to avoid controversial topics, for example he got rid of Oliver Callan from his 2fm show when he cut to close to the bone. Most radio shows will give their right arm for someone like OC.

The sad truth of it is RTE could not care less what we think.
    The fact Tubbs got the job in the first place says it all. He grew up from RTE stock, within RTE. He is the poster boy for nepotsm and the proof of all that is wrong with it.
    What we have is the like of Louis Walsh, Linda Martin or whomever ruling the roost blathering on about what ever and Tubbs nodding along looking for approval with the odd highly strung 'Acting the maggot' thrown in.

There are many many good musicians and bands in Ireland but its the producers who choose...there in lies the answer to 'Why all the bland music?' Louis Walsh gets a slot for whom ever, when ever. And you can be sure the other acts have some friend of a friend in there some where.

What they need do with the format is have the big topic question, with a panel. Discuss it, take a call or two. Next segment have a guest, maybe with an opinion on that topic. Break it up with a musical act. Bring on another guest to lighten things, do the quiz or what ever. Roll end credits....y'know like the good Late Lates.
    They are caught between the lightest of entertainment and depression all captained by a twit, and a houseband of tits.

That is so true. Indeed, the fact that RTE's elite don't care what the license payers think is sad. But true. Here's a few issues:

Nepotism: yeah, Tubridy comes from a family of RTE and political heavyweights who rose up to the top far quicker than anyone else in RTE. It took Pat Kenny years to reach where he got to.

Music: you'd swear there were only 2 types of music in Ireland: boybands and bad Irish country music (I call it boyfolk: country done in a boyband manner). Anything Louis Walsh has of course gets paraded and we will see LW and/or his acts 2 or 3 times a year at least. Then, we get all that bland, boyband styled Irish country by acts such as Derek Ryan (ex boyband) and Mike Denver. Ireland is full of good music ranging from trad to blues/bluegrass to jazz with all stops in between. None of this seems to be promoted anymore.

Linda Martin/Eurovision: we keep wondering why we fare so poorly in the Eurovision. It has a lot to do with smugness and expert opinions from the likes of LM being taken seriously. She did well for us in 1992 and she is a good performer but why is her opinion taken as gospel every time?? Louis Walsh has also dominated the Eurovision in the past too especially the You're a Star years.

Debates: the key to a good debate is to have an interesting topic (not this recession/corruption/banks thing though as it is flogged to death and spirals into negativity) and a set of interesting people who have knowledge about it. Say, it could be on ISIS/ISIL, al Qaeda and the threat warped fundamentalist militant 'Islam' poses to the entire world.

RTE making shows to suit the presenter: I think that the format of shows and their style often is developed in RTE to fit the presenter rather than to entertain the audience. Since Tubridy took over the Late Late, he has Tubridised it completely: he sticks to topics he is comfortable with like babies and children and will have babies and children who have a story (eg. conjoined twins who were operated to separate them) on as often as he can! He also feels comfortable in the boyband chats and he excels on the toy show! Making programmes to suit the presenter has backfired and misfired several times for RTE: for example, Gerry Ryan's Secrets and Pat Kenny's The Frontline were tailor made for the presenters but offered stupidity and depression respectively for viewers. Clearly, both presenters were in their element and enjoying it but the audience weren't. One dimensional and repetitive is what these and Tubridy's LLS became. TV shows should be made for the audience not to suit the interests and style of the presenter. If a presenter can't adapt to different topics and settings, he or she is not really as good as they are supposed to be.

• Advertisement

ghiertal wrote: »
    I think the fact that he said that he is looking forward to the Toy Show says a lot about him. He seems to build his whole season around a show that a preschool teacher could probably present. He doesn't want to engage in any current affairs debate and is keen to avoid controversial topics, for example he got rid of Oliver Callan from his 2fm show when he cut to close to the bone. Most radio shows will give their right arm for someone like OC.

He is truly in his element on the Toy Show. In fairness, Tubridy is good with children and if so, he should either find a career as kiddies' TV presenter or else as a pre school teacher.

He avoids debates and especially anything controversial. I remember the time Pat Kenny brought in these evil al Qaeda types who approved of 9/11. He was criticised for giving them airtime and - right or wrong - it at least got people talking and is something Tubridy would never do.

Tubridy getting rid of Oliver Callan: again, Tubridy can show a dictatorial streak and silences those who he sees as cutting too close to the bone. He I feel thinks he is god's gift and does not want anyone making fun of him or criticising him. In this, we have a person who is incapable of changing and unwilling to do so.

RTE making shows to suit the presenter:

This one point is so very, very true both on TV and Radio. It's almost as if the audience is just a hassle to be ignored as long as possible. Lets do what the presenter wants and is good at. let's not look for anyone else that would have a different set of talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Mike Murphy IMHO would be the perfect replacement to Ryan Tubridy Gay Byrne.

p.s: at the same time I think Tubridy is doing great work for RTÉ.. It's just for said show, an older wiser guy(who would probably 'gain' a little more respect) is what we need.. Mike is an Rté legend as much as the Late Late is legendary.

I remember it and Tubridy was better here for some reason. By no means was TT a classic show but he seemed more suited here for some reason. Plus it was shorter: again, the length of the Friday show means a lot of filler is necessary.

I thought of that show lately, I think a clip was shown on the News or something. He was more at ease there, and yes, shorter show seemed to suit.

Tubridy could not handle that. Lots of clips, and 'what is your connection with Ireland, and what do you think of Niall Horan' seems to be all he can manage.

I'm afraid we are stuck with him, for the foreseeable future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I agree 100% here. This band and their stupid intros is very annoying. Whose idea was this playing inappropriate stuff when each guest comes on? It is not necessary, tacky and embarrassing to be honest. The above you mentioned was not a one-off isolated incident unfortunately.

I am not saying the band is bad either. They are good musicians and could be doing something more worthwhile. They are wasted here too aiding and abetting a silly show's silliness.

Aren't they the same band he used to have on his Saturday night show,the something quartet?I hated them then when half the show seemed to consist of close up shots of the singer gurning into the camera and witless "banter" between them and Tubridy and I still hate them though their involvement on the LLS seems slightly scaled down.Its clear it was Tubs idea to have them on certainly nobody else wants them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

He is truly in his element on the Toy Show. In fairness, Tubridy is good with children and if so, he should either find a career as kiddies' TV presenter or else as a pre school teacher.

He avoids debates and especially anything controversial. I remember the time Pat Kenny brought in these evil al Qaeda types who approved of 9/11. He was criticised for giving them airtime and - right or wrong - it at least got people talking and is something Tubridy would never do.

Tubridy getting rid of Oliver Callan: again, Tubridy can show a dictatorial streak and silences those who he sees as cutting too close to the bone. He I feel thinks he is god's gift and does not want anyone making fun of him or criticising him. In this, we have a person who is incapable of changing and unwilling to do so.

Christ, you leave the country for two months and all of a sudden getting rid of Oliver Callan is a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Probably the essence of the problem with Tubridy: for all the talk of 'old fogey', he is a bit childish.

RATINGS
    While The Late Late Show has maintained high viewership and is still one of the most watched programmes in Ireland, Ryan's 2fm show has been suffering in the ratings stakes.But he's not ready to give it up just yet."I love what I do and I go into 2fm every morning and really enjoy it," he said, speaking to the RTE Guide."I enjoy the giddiness of the show, the fun of it - I just wish there were more people listening to it."The bosses have to look at it and ask, 'Is he the right man in the right place at the right time?'."He said that he is just "a chess piece"."The Late Late Show is pulling in a 45pc share on a weekly basis, which is unheard of in the digital age so I can't be doing everything wrong. So you have to ask: what is the problem here? I don't think it's all down to me."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/ryan-tubridy-id-consider-a-fulltime-role-at-bbc-30537539.html

Is 45 per cent really unheard of nowadays? I tried to find past figures but I can't come up with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Oh you guys want to see the Late Late Show burn?Crash and burn.Well what if you all get your way and the Late Late Show goes on fire?
    Are you going to watch Gay Burn?

Yeah maybe it has turned into a suck up to the latest celeb who has a new movie or book to plug.Maybe I am sick of the host trying to be funny.Sitting with a stiff suit on fawning over Towie fake stars and getting a big fat cheque from our TV licences.But the Toy Show we need it to show the kids in the country Christmas is about toys and not Jesus or peace and love.

Advertisement