Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too late to save the Late Late Show (Mod warning post #434)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Oh you guys want to see the Late Late Show burn?Crash and burn.Well what if you all get your way and the Late Late Show goes on fire?
    Are you going to watch Gay Burn?

Yeah maybe it has turned into a suck up to the latest celeb who has a new movie or book to plug.Maybe I am sick of the host trying to be funny.Sitting with a stiff suit on fawning over Towie fake stars and getting a big fat cheque from our TV licences.But the Toy Show we need it to show the kids in the country Christmas is about toys and not Jesus or peace and love.

Huh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Oh you guys want to see the Late Late Show burn?Crash and burn.Well what if you all get your way and the Late Late Show goes on fire?
    Are you going to watch Gay Burn?

Yeah maybe it has turned into a suck up to the latest celeb who has a new movie or book to plug.Maybe I am sick of the host trying to be funny.Sitting with a stiff suit on fawning over Towie fake stars and getting a big fat cheque from our TV licences.But the Toy Show we need it to show the kids in the country Christmas is about toys and not Jesus or peace and love.

divergent-bad-movie-reviews-4.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

I was watching old LLS debates a while back and it used to be riveting
    I can
    confirm this
    Vhs videos of the Late Late Show from 1997 are being transferred to DVD by me at the moment. February 6 1997 a typical example of what you are talking about - it contains an intelligent animated debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

This one point is so very, very true both on TV and Radio. It's almost as if the audience is just a hassle to be ignored as long as possible. Lets do what the presenter wants and is good at. let's not look for anyone else that would have a different set of talents.

This is how RTE creates programming. They see they've a slot to fill, they sit about and see if anyone has any ideas or in most cases one of their 'independent' production chums has free time.
    Naked Camera was created as they needed to fill a slot, they felt it should be comedy. They called in various comedians for interview and asked them if they had any ideas for sketches. Like that show or not, that's not how good television is made on the taxpayers dime. We've the same make it up as you go along minds putting our programming together. These are people whose parents and grandparents jumped on board the RTE gravy train and will not let any new blood in, talent or skills aside.

What have we got? The occasional happy suprise, (love/hate) and hours of dross presented by Tubbs, Lottie Ryan and Co.
    We complain about housing tax, water tax and the licence fee, (soon to be the communications tax) but RTE are the biggest state run quango/jobs for the boys in the land and Tubbs is the poster boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

For Reals wrote: »
    We complain about housing tax, water tax and the licence fee, (soon to be the communications tax) but RTE are the biggest state run quango/jobs for the boys in the land and Tubbs is the poster boy.

We do complain and we go along with all those taxes... However the communications Tax has been put off until probably after the next election as it would be a step too far. There are a lot of people out there that have little use for RTE, Imposing a tax for Tubbs would have lost Dail seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Ryan Tubridy: I'd consider a full-time role at BBC

Jaysus he's gas.. I hope he brings this new found sense of humour in to the new season of The Late Late Show.. Funniest thing I've heard this year since Frank Stapleton, when asked to describe what present footballer reminded him most of himself, answered "Robin Van Persie".

Jaysus he's gas.. I hope he brings this new found sense of humour in to the new season of The Late Late Show.. Funniest thing I've heard this year since Frank Stapleton, when asked to describe what present footballer reminded him most of himself, answered "Robin Van Persie".

Stop laughing... it's the only chance you'll get a different presenter of the Late Late over the next 5 or more years.

I actually think he would be able to get work in the UK and with the BBC, but his wages would probably halve. You're just not paid RTE Money anywhere else. Just before anyone says it, Pat Kenny doesn't really count. If Newstalk was being run to make a profit, he wouldn't even have been paid half of what he's getting (No offence to Pat) I doubt they'd offer the same terms to Tubbs or anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Looks like Ryan is trying to use the BBC once more to remind RTE of his "worth".
    It worked before but surely surely not this time. Surely someone in RTE will call his bluff and say "off you go Ryan".

I am not as pessimistic as some people about the depth of talent around. We actually have a lot of talented entertainers and broadcasters who could easily slip into the LLS no problem.

I'd much prefer to see any of the following presenting it:

Miriam O'Callaghan
    Brian Dobson
    Craig Doyle - not everyone's cup of tea but a good sense of humour and is good at light entertainment which is what the LLS is.
    Sharon Ni Bheolain
    Grainne Seoige
    I think even Aoibhinn Ní Shúilleabháin wouldn't make a bad job of it.

That's 6 straight off I think would bring something new to the LLS. And that's what the LLS needs now more than ever. Something new and fresh and not the same old generic nonsense Ryan has been peddling for 4 years. A new set won't save us from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

Does Tubridy think that the BBC is looking for a replacement for Alan Partridge?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Not 1 of you mentioned Terry Wogan for the Late Late show host or Richard Dawkins.

Any how I want to see boobs why cant we get some big chested woman to host the show or the amazing one that used to be in Fair City

VIPIrelandImage127180-620x434.jpg

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    Does Tubridy think that the BBC is looking for a replacement for Alan Partridge?

Regards...jmcc

The BBC will always be in the market for Alan Partridge type presenters. However, they're not paid very well and tend to end up on local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭briany

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I'd like to see someone like Anne Doyle hosting the Late Late. I think she could be good.

She's obviously got the serious interviews down and she seems to have a good sense of humour in the casual interviews I've seen with her.

I was watching old LLS debates a while back and it used to be riveting television.

Debates like the debates of old couldn't really happen on the LLS today. For one thing, that's the job of programs like the Frontline. The LLS has long since re-branded itself as a 'light entertainment'. As in, it's light on entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I think it's disgraceful that people can't express the general dislike of Tubridy among the public and desire for him to go without being labelled "a Facebook hate group". We're the people paying his salary after all, and yet we're not allowed to even dislike him so as not to hurt his feelings? It's absurd. The sense of self-entitlement of some of these public service figures is really bordering on delusional, little children in elementary school minding their own business often experience worse. I tell you what Tubridy, you resign everything in RTE and we'll tell you how you're a respectable and dignified individual who did the right thing.

Not 1 of you mentioned Terry Wogan for the Late Late show host or Richard Dawkins.

Any how I want to see boobs why cant we get some big chested woman to host the show or the amazing one that used to be in Fair City

VIPIrelandImage127180-620x434.jpg

Stop looking for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, I saw that about him saying he would consider a full time role at BBC.
    Go on, go on...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I think it's disgraceful that people can't express the general dislike of Tubridy among the public and desire for him to go without being labelled "a Facebook hate group". We're the people paying his salary after all, and yet we're not allowed to even dislike him so as not to hurt his feelings? It's absurd. The sense of self-entitlement of some of these public service figures is really bordering on delusional, little children in elementary school minding their own business often experience worse. I tell you what Tubridy, you resign everything in RTE and we'll tell you how you're a respectable and dignified individual who did the right thing.

Very true. I cannot understand why we have to have this man presenting the show each year. He can only handle two things: boybands and babies. He comes across as fake everywhere else and seems incapable of talking about anything interesting or worthwhile.

I will be very surprised if we don't see Bill Cullen, Louis Walsh, some new boyband project, terrible Irish country, conjoined twins, a little bit of Twink, some inappropriate handling of a 'misery slot' story, baby talk with celebs, 'do you love Ireland' talk with celebs and so on. All this on a new set of course so it will be different !!! :D

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Yes, I saw that about him saying he would consider a full time role at BBC.
    Go on, go on...:pac:

I don't think the BBC want him on a full time basis as he is not talented enough. He's only on RTE because of his family background.

I don't think the BBC want him on a full time basis as he is not talented enough. He's only on RTE because of his family background.

Not at all, he is just deluding himself, as per usual.

He has mentioned a few times that it's great being over in the UK because he can go around in peace, unlike here where I presume people run after him. Not. Conceited guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

what is his background in media? I know some really top class broadcasters don't have media/journalism backgrounds but whats Tubbs qualification and CV like pre RTE days? Genuine question, before anyone thinks i'm being a troll.

Was it a simple case of him being a runner who landed his own show after some work experience or did he bring broadcasting experience into RTE before he got the show?

The lack of questioning of someones credentials in RTE has always been rife.

The philosophy of "leave them in the job for so long/ram them down viewers throats for 20-odd years and viewers will become familiar and in turn develop some kind of loyalty in that they grew up watching them etc...." seems to be RTE's ploy since they came on the air.

The station is there to serve its staff rather than the public in terms of its content.

I'd imagine they sit down and talk about what show would suit Brian Ormond/Grainne Seoige/PJ Gallagher etc... rather than put together good shows and then seeks someone talented to come in and host it.

This insistence that you need to "pay your dues" is also a load of bull, rather than hire fresh blood (at probably a fraction of the cost) you have to do it by the book and hire the next cronie who is next in line.

I'll use the football coverage as an example, Giles, Dunphy and Brady have been outdated for years, with O'Herlihy retiring it was a perfect opportunity to clean house and be innovative and bring in the former off the ball team to modernise their analysis.
    But no those guys had to be hired in a role which put them at the very bottom of the food chain, they couldn't possibly step over the lifer's in the RTE sports department (Des Cahill, Darragh Maloney, Marty Morrissey, Eamon Dunphy), god no. They wouldn't give a toss how talented ya are, they'll need to drain the life out of you for 15 years first before giving you a run for paying your dues.

They also seem to love putting failed tv hosts on the radio for some reason despite having zero experience. Rather than clearing out the dead wood (thanks for the effort but you were sh*te, theres your P45), they seem to persevere with the same old faces and voices in an effort the justify their salary.

Tubridy gives off the attitude that anyone who shows any negativity in relation to his performance, is nothing but a party pooper, a hater. The amount of time i've heard him say on the radio "life is too short to listen to the hateful negativity". He needs a dose of reality, i'd love to hear him interviewed himself by someone with a reasoned argument as to why the show is outdated, mentioning the countless times he has got name's wrong, showed evidence of failing to do his research etc.... I remember one painful occasion when the olympic boxers returned with their medals and poor Adam Nolan was called Andy on 3 separate occasions only for Tubbs to be forcefully told by them on the 3rd time that his name was in fact Adam. He was reminded on 2 previous occasions politely but the third occasion they rightfully felt it was starting to border on the disrespectful.

My guess is he will blame producers etc.. for failing to deliver guests. But the fact of the matter is he has completely sank when faced with big names. The interview with Jonah Hill (albeit he was a bit of a tosser) and Channing Tatum was one of the most cringe inducing interviews you will ever see on tv, the bloke is so lacking in presence he had no retort to the banter they threw at him and had no idea how to deal with the situation.

if you're listening Tubbs, criticising you doesn't mean people are begrudgers. You are being criticised based on what people have been watching and listening to for the last decade.
    The late late would have near 500k viewers if it was hosted by a broom handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

The new series of the show, hosted by Ryan Tubridy, will get underway next month. The figures released by RTÉ showed that it spent a total of €23,090 on guest food across its five top-rated light entertainment shows last year, while the same programmes also accounted for a€14,488 spend on guest alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
    The total food bill for The Late Late Show was €9,250 and its drinks bill came to €5,375 — averaging €250 and €145 per episode, respectively.
    The show still retains a 45% audience share, although host Ryan Tubridy has said he might consider moving full-time to the BBC, where he has regularly filled in for various presenters on BBC radio in recent years.
    Earlier in the summer he expressed bafflement at the sluggish ratings for his 2FM radio show.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/late-late-has-highest-food-and-drinks-bill-283688.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

what is his background in media? I know some really top class broadcasters don't have media/journalism backgrounds but whats Tubbs qualification and CV like pre RTE days? Genuine question, before anyone thinks i'm being a troll.

Was it a simple case of him being a runner who landed his own show after some work experience or did he bring broadcasting experience into RTE before he got the show?

The lack of questioning of someones credentials in RTE has always been rife.

The philosophy of "leave them in the job for so long/ram them down viewers throats for 20-odd years and viewers will become familiar and in turn develop some kind of loyalty in that they grew up watching them etc...." seems to be RTE's ploy since they came on the air.

The station is there to serve its staff rather than the public in terms of its content.

I'd imagine they sit down and talk about what show would suit Brian Ormond/Grainne Seoige/PJ Gallagher etc... rather than put together good shows and then seeks someone talented to come in and host it.

This insistence that you need to "pay your dues" is also a load of bull, rather than hire fresh blood (at probably a fraction of the cost) you have to do it by the book and hire the next cronie who is next in line.

I'll use the football coverage as an example, Giles, Dunphy and Brady have been outdated for years, with O'Herlihy retiring it was a perfect opportunity to clean house and be innovative and bring in the former off the ball team to modernise their analysis.
    But no those guys had to be hired in a role which put them at the very bottom of the food chain, they couldn't possibly step over the lifer's in the RTE sports department (Des Cahill, Darragh Maloney, Marty Morrissey, Eamon Dunphy), god no. They wouldn't give a toss how talented ya are, they'll need to drain the life out of you for 15 years first before giving you a run for paying your dues.

They also seem to love putting failed tv hosts on the radio for some reason despite having zero experience. Rather than clearing out the dead wood (thanks for the effort but you were sh*te, theres your P45), they seem to persevere with the same old faces and voices in an effort the justify their salary.

Tubridy gives off the attitude that anyone who shows any negativity in relation to his performance, is nothing but a party pooper, a hater. The amount of time i've heard him say on the radio "life is too short to listen to the hateful negativity". He needs a dose of reality, i'd love to hear him interviewed himself by someone with a reasoned argument as to why the show is outdated, mentioning the countless times he has got name's wrong, showed evidence of failing to do his research etc.... I remember one painful occasion when the olympic boxers returned with their medals and poor Adam Nolan was called Andy on 3 separate occasions only for Tubbs to be forcefully told by them on the 3rd time that his name was in fact Adam. He was reminded on 2 previous occasions politely but the third occasion they rightfully felt it was starting to border on the disrespectful.

My guess is he will blame producers etc.. for failing to deliver guests. But the fact of the matter is he has completely sank when faced with big names. The interview with Jonah Hill (albeit he was a bit of a tosser) and Channing Tatum was one of the most cringe inducing interviews you will ever see on tv, the bloke is so lacking in presence he had no retort to the banter they threw at him and had no idea how to deal with the situation.

if you're listening Tubbs, criticising you doesn't mean people are begrudgers. You are being criticised based on what people have been watching and listening to for the last decade.
    The late late would have near 500k viewers if it was hosted by a broom handle.
    Tubbs Grandfather was controller general of RTE. His mother was a socialite often asked for comments at RTE gala events. His uncle was Eamonn Andrews, there in lies the Fianna Fail connection to all his FF cousins, (not that he'd be bias in any political debate *wink* *wink*), (before the bubble burst there was a Fianna Fail TD on nearly every other week, just for a chat like).
    As a child he'd be brought on as the token voice of youth and was a regular 'reporter' for childrens radio. He immigrated to the states, I assume it didn't go as well as hoped, came back to Ireland waltzed into the radio/TV.

Like Lottie Ryan; if your family has pull you're in for life.

By the way, 'paying your dues' in RTE family speak is mammy or daddy pulling strings to get you a few spots reporting until they can slip you in to host the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Not at all, he is just deluding himself, as per usual.

He has mentioned a few times that it's great being over in the UK because he can go around in peace, unlike here where I presume people run after him. Not. Conceited guy.

in fairness to him(and i do not like him) he probably gets a lot of abuse yelled at him in Ireland. I've seen it happen to other Irish "celebrities" in Dublin and although i don't like them, I couldn't help feel sorry for them. Some really immature people in this country

But as stated already, as long as the ratings stay high, he will remain untouched. I do see him leaving for a radio show with the BBC but don't think he would do better than that.

Lottie Ryan for LL host 2016! :p

I'd agree with the fact that he gets hassle from time to time out on the street. I have one or two friends that have been in the public eye in a minor way. They've been on TV but you wouldn't think anyone would know them. They've been cornered by odd individuals a few times. I was with them once when someone approached looking for contact details and how could my friend help this stranger advance her claim to fame!

So if you are well known here I can see that if only a small percentage bother you it could be hard to live a normal life. At the same time Ryan did look for the work. You have to accept the consequences of your choices.

That wasn't the impression I got, to be honest. I did see him once, some years ago, and restrained myself - just kidding!
    I took what he said to mean peace over there, from being pursued by autograph hunters :p

That wasn't the impression I got, to be honest. I did see him once, some years ago, and restrained myself - just kidding!
    I took what he said to mean peace over there, from being pursued by autograph hunters :p

To be fair I don't think most people are bothered by autograph hunters or someone coming up saying hello. It's the more aggressive individuals that won't take no for an answer. There might only be a few incidences a year but it would be enough to knock your inner peace.

Heck, I get a huge sense of freedom when I go to the UK or Europe as I won't be bumping into the local weirdo, and the locals are probably happy that the local oddball has gone to the UK or Europe.:D

That was my interpretation, that it was the autograph hunters, but of course I may be wrong...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭brick man

I have just seen a promo for new season of Late late and it seems it will be in HD. They must have upgraded studio 4 during the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

brick man wrote: »
    I have just seen a promo for new season of Late late and it seems it will be in HD. They must have upgraded studio 4 during the summer

We'll be able to see every tear during the misery bits

Tear_Eye_Stock_2_by_jeanniefansStock.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Very true. I cannot understand why we have to have this man presenting the show each year. He can only handle two things: boybands and babies. He comes across as fake everywhere else and seems incapable of talking about anything interesting or worthwhile.

this is my issue with him. Gay byrne was genuinely interested in most people he talked to. you could see it. It was like a chat down in the pub.

Tubridy comes across as an actor. he has to pretend everything.

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    this is my issue with him. Gay byrne was genuinely interested in most people he talked to. you could see it. It was like a chat down in the pub.

Tubridy comes across as an actor. he has to pretend everything.

That's precisely it. I think Tubridy even tries to act too much like Gay Byrne as well but he is not Gay Byrne. Because Gay was himself, whereas Tubridy wants to act like he is some sort of a new Gay and it just does not come across at all well.

Tubridy lacks knowledge about the simplest of topics often too. He has no indepth sense of what goes on in a lot of situations. Or how to have the appropriate emotions.

goose2005 wrote: »
    We'll be able to see every tear during the misery bits

Tear_Eye_Stock_2_by_jeanniefansStock.jpg

With all this ice bucket thing, I am sure the misery slot will be about Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), a disease that is incurable, almost always terminal and much worse than cancer. Perhaps only Ebola is worse. As per usual, some poor ALS patient will be dragged onto Tubridy to provide sick entertainment for the masses to gawk at him/her. This is wrong: using a sick person as a form of entertainment. The person themselves is often duped into it as are their family.

I have two friends who have this awful disease, one in the very early stages, the other in the latter stages. It is an unpredictable illness and it usually kills people in 3 years. Sometimes, it only cripples the hands and stops (extremely rare and very lucky for the patient) but most commonly it progresses and robs people of every function usually leading to death. Stephen Hawking is one of the few to survive the complete range of challenges this illness throws at the patient. Colm Murray and others were not as lucky.

To me, Tubridy's show is not the place for discussion of these type topics. We need to be very aware of ALS and other horrendous illnesses but we do not need to have some form of sadist entertainment made out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd say Tubbs would have a very good chance of getting a full-time job at the BBC........... if there was a vacancy at BBC Radio Norwich.

I'd say Tubbs would have a very good chance of getting a full-time job at the BBC........... if there was a vacancy at BBC Radio Norwich.

he might get tips of alan partridge

That's precisely it. I think Tubridy even tries to act too much like Gay Byrne as well but he is not Gay Byrne. Because Gay was himself, whereas Tubridy wants to act like he is some sort of a new Gay and it just does not come across at all well.

Tubridy lacks knowledge about the simplest of topics often too. He has no indepth sense of what goes on in a lot of situations. Or how to have the appropriate emotions.

completely lacks genuine emotions. he has to pretend everything. Its nothing personal against tubs. im sure hes a nice guy in private. but no matter what you do in life, there is standard. There are good and bad ways of being a doctor or an actor or a postman. When it comes to TV presenting he is poor.

I always feel brendan o connor is much more natural in the role (may come in for criticism for saying that). Tubs like pat kenny may do better in serious current affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You have got to hand it to him. He is just a big old pretender and he has got away with it.

Fake it til you make it and all that......

Only in Ireland :-(

• Advertisement

You have got to hand it to him. He is just a big old pretender and he has got away with it.

Fake it til you make it and all that......

Only in Ireland :-(

hes like the politicians

completely lacks genuine emotions. he has to pretend everything. Its nothing personal against tubs. im sure hes a nice guy in private. but no matter what you do in life, there is standard. There are good and bad ways of being a doctor or an actor or a postman. When it comes to TV presenting he is poor.

I always feel brendan o connor is much more natural in the role (may come in for criticism for saying that). Tubs like pat kenny may do better in serious current affairs.

He is too much of a lightweight for current affairs. Tubridy would excel with a bookshow on UK living or the likes. He is completely niche in that area, not cut out for mainstream radio or TV at all.

He is supposedly a really cool guy, but it's not enough to warrant the airtime he gets

He is too much of a lightweight for current affairs. Tubridy would excel with a bookshow on UK living or the likes. He is completely niche in that area, not cut out for mainstream radio or TV at all.

He is supposedly a really cool guy, but it's not enough to warrant the airtime he gets

Tubridy's stye would excel on a bookshow or children's TV but not a chat show or current affairs. He is not capable of filling the range of styles required for the Late Late Show.

Tubridy's stye would excel on a bookshow or children's TV but not a chat show or current affairs. He is not capable of filling the range of styles required for the Late Late Show.

i think the late late show has lost its mojo regardless. before the internet and sky tv, all we had was the two channels and thus people only saw famous people on the late late show.

Now you have graham norton, jimmy kimmel and so on. It has become a victim of the times. Having said that you have to make the best with what you have and in my opinion the saturday night show with brendan is superior.

I think they should probably only concentrate on one show with brendan o connor (sorry tubs). I was really impressed with how he handled pussy riot. What you think folks?

Having said that you have to make the best with what you have and in my opinion the saturday night show with brendan is superior.

I think they should probably only concentrate on one show with brendan o connor (sorry tubs). I was really impressed with how he handled pussy riot. What you think folks?

Alas, the SNS and Brendan have themselves declined in quality recently.

The Pussy Riot interview was genuinely painful to watch.

• Advertisement

I too think Brendan O'Connor is far more natural and he has a better show. Pat Kenny has a good presentation style too in what he does.

I think that many of the chatshows and current affairs on RTE have become very stale in recent times. Brendan O'Connor's show and Primetime being exceptions (both can be excellent with the right material), other ones have become and are very poor. Pat Kenny did contribute good chatshows and current affairs during his tenure at RTE especially early on. Tubridy's initial efforts like Tubridy Tonight and his first LLS season were better than where he went later on.

Tubridy's and Kenny's more recent efforts to me tend to be built around the presenter with little thought about the topic: a sense of ego has crept in. For Kenny's The Frontline, it was all that awful negative spin on all that bank and bailout stuff flogged over and over. For Tubs, it was always a regular inclusion of guests he was comfortable with and a one size fits all interview content that included baby and love Ireland questions!

Sometimes, it is ok for a person to be themselves and find an audience. In music, it is not sincere if this is not the case. However, in chatshow hosts the chatshow host is the person who brings to the audience the people that audience want and who asks the questions the audience wants answered. This is not what happens in most RTE chatshows be it of a light entertainment or a current affairs nature.

As I said before, with regard to the LLS in particular, length is a major problem. Brendan's the Saturday Night Show and Saturday with Miriam are both superior and get more than what is done in the LLS in less time. The long drawn out boring interview with the first guest (usually an airhead interview about babies and loving Ireland!), stupid games with the audience and stupid intros by the band could all be scrapped if the show was shorter. Next FRiday, we will see Tubridy's LLS back on our screens with a new set and little other changes!

I too think Brendan O'Connor is far more natural and he has a better show. Pat Kenny has a good presentation style too in what he does.

I think that many of the chatshows and current affairs on RTE have become very stale in recent times. Brendan O'Connor's show and Primetime being exceptions (both can be excellent with the right material), other ones have become and are very poor. Pat Kenny did contribute good chatshows and current affairs during his tenure at RTE especially early on. Tubridy's initial efforts like Tubridy Tonight and his first LLS season were better than where he went later on.

Tubridy's and Kenny's more recent efforts to me tend to be built around the presenter with little thought about the topic: a sense of ego has crept in. For Kenny's The Frontline, it was all that awful negative spin on all that bank and bailout stuff flogged over and over. For Tubs, it was always a regular inclusion of guests he was comfortable with and a one size fits all interview content that included baby and love Ireland questions!

Sometimes, it is ok for a person to be themselves and find an audience. In music, it is not sincere if this is not the case. However, in chatshow hosts the chatshow host is the person who brings to the audience the people that audience want and who asks the questions the audience wants answered. This is not what happens in most RTE chatshows be it of a light entertainment or a current affairs nature.

As I said before, with regard to the LLS in particular, length is a major problem. Brendan's the Saturday Night Show and Saturday with Miriam are both superior and get more than what is done in the LLS in less time. The long drawn out boring interview with the first guest (usually an airhead interview about babies and loving Ireland!), stupid games with the audience and stupid intros by the band could all be scrapped if the show was shorter. Next FRiday, we will see Tubridy's LLS back on our screens with a new set and little other changes!

off topic a bit, but i remember one show where they had the husband of the irsh woman brutally killed in austrailia on and tubs was all serious and sincere. Then next guest was some reality tv star i think, and tubs was all nice and funny. I thought at the time and im usually laid back that it was highly disrespectful to the husband, given the severity of what happened to his wife. It was very bad form.

This is part of the problem. It goes from serious to funny to music to serious

I too think Brendan O'Connor is far more natural and he has a better show.

Brendan's the Saturday Night Show and Saturday with Miriam are both superior and get more than what is done in the LLS in less time.

As I've just said, though, the SNS and Brendan haven't been quite as good in recent times... :(

Nor, for that matter, has Saturday Night with Miriam. In fact, there was a real sense of going through the motions in both this series and the last... :(

off topic a bit, but i remember one show where they had the husband of the irsh woman brutally killed in austrailia on and tubs was all serious and sincere. Then next guest was some reality tv star i think, and tubs was all nice and funny. I thought at the time and im usually laid back that it was highly disrespectful to the husband, given the severity of what happened to his wife. It was very bad form.

This is part of the problem. It goes from serious to funny to music to serious

Hence you would have to question his sincerity in fairness. To be able to joke about with Brian Dowling or the likes after hearing some genuine horror stories makes you wonder if hes having to act his way through both ends of the spectrum

As I've just said, though, the SNS and Brendan haven't been quite as good in recent times... :(

Nor, for that matter, has Saturday Night with Miriam. In fact, there was a real sense of going through the motions in both this series and the last... :(

That is true. With all of the shows, there tends to be an all out strive to get it up and running at the start and then once it is established, a going through the motions style is adopted. Both were far better a few years back but are still better than Tubridy's LLS. I think Tubridy made a huge effort for his debut 2009-10 series but went through the motions after that and especially since 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/whelan-reveals-late-late-show-frontman-ambitions-284183.html

He gets my vote!

We need a man doing a man's job. The "young fogey" has been given enough chances imo.

amdublin wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/whelan-reveals-late-late-show-frontman-ambitions-284183.html

He gets my vote!

We need a man doing a man's job. The "young fogey" has been given enough chances imo.

Good man Marty, i'd say Tubbs performance is on everyone's lips in the corridors at RTE.

He has some cheek, baffled about having such low listenership on the radio when he gets 6million in the UK. Its not even your show Tubbs.

I actually think he is better on the radio than the TV.

Would not be a bit surprised if this season is his last. A guest host every week would be great, sure there would be some car crash efforts but it would make for great tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*waits for a boardsie to post 'that' picture of Marty in 3...2...1...*

That is true. With all of the shows, there tends to be an all out strive to get it up and running at the start and then once it is established, a going through the motions style is adopted. Both were far better a few years back but are still better than Tubridy's LLS. I think Tubridy made a huge effort for his debut 2009-10 series but went through the motions after that and especially since 2012.

I think you might have picked me up wrong here... :o

What I meant was that there was a sense that everyone working on this series of SNWM and the last wasn't 100% interested.

The guest lists weren't as good as they had been in earlier series, with fewer international faces and seemingly more "misery" slots. And the international faces they did get were either uninteresting (e.g. Jeffrey Archer) or didn't get to deliver what they promised (e.g. Daniel Radcliffe).

Miriam's wardrobe wasn't as good, either. In earlier series, she more often than not wore what us Boardsies like to call "Quality Street" dresses. Last series, however, she only wore a dress once (and an ordinary one, at that), and this series she didn't wear a dress at all... :eek: :(

Both of the title sequences used looked like they'd been thrown together in an hour (certainly in a shorter time than the LLS and SNS title sequences, anyway). The same can be said for the theme tune - not very dissimilar to the LLS and SNS ones.

As for the set used this series...

40247_e7e9fc4a71abbcb9874231b92d6b0e9a.jpg

SNWM has been on the air for ten years, and that's a good innings in anyone's book.

But might it now be time to say, "Well, the show has pretty much gone as far as it's going to go", and hence try something new next summer?

*waits for a boardsie to post 'that' picture of Marty in 3...2...1...*

??????

• Advertisement
Advertisement