Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf Pain

• 04-12-2013 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice on alleviating calf pain during exercise.

I recently joined a gym and have found that my calf muscles hurt a lot during both weight and non-weight bearing cardiovascular exercise (they're fine when weight lifting).

My cardio vascular fitness doesn't seem to be too bad, but I find I can't keep running beyond ten minutes or so because my calf muscles hurt too much.

Can anyone recommend some specific stretches or other measures to alleviate the pain? Will it just go away by itself as I adjust?

Just to clarify that it is definitely not injury pain.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Are you running on a treadmill when they hurt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

dipdip wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice on alleviating calf pain during exercise.

I recently joined a gym and have found that my calf muscles hurt a lot during both weight and non-weight bearing cardiovascular exercise (they're fine when weight lifting).

My cardio vascular fitness doesn't seem to be too bad, but I find I can't keep running beyond ten minutes or so because my calf muscles hurt too much.

Can anyone recommend some specific stretches or other measures to alleviate the pain? Will it just go away by itself as I adjust?

Just to clarify that it is definitely not injury pain.

Thanks in advance.

Do single leg calf raises properly. If you're struggling to do 20+, then the problem is the calves haven't been trained for endurance and ten minutes in it's becoming tight and running is sore.

If that's the case you'll need to do some strength work with them with a relatively low weight for lot of reps, e.g. single leg calf raises for as many reps as you're getting while doing them properly. Rest for a minute but no more than 2 and then go again. You should be looking at being able to do 3 sets of 25-30 reps for each leg. Then you should find you'll be able to run longer without pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Oryx wrote: »
    Are you running on a treadmill when they hurt?

Yes, although I have tried the elliptical trainer and I have the same problem on that. In fact, it seemed worse on the elliptical.
    Do single leg calf raises properly. If you're struggling to do 20+, then the problem is the calves haven't been trained for endurance and ten minutes in it's becoming tight and running is sore.

If that's the case you'll need to do some strength work with them with a relatively low weight for lot of reps, e.g. single leg calf raises for as many reps as you're getting while doing them properly. Rest for a minute but no more than 2 and then go again. You should be looking at being able to do 3 sets of 25-30 reps for each leg. Then you should find you'll be able to run longer without pain.

Okay, this sounds like good advice.

Should I do the calf raises prior to getting on the treadmill? And should I be doing them every time I go to the gym (3-4 times per week)?

Should I do the calf raises prior to getting on the treadmill? And should I be doing them every time I go to the gym (3-4 times per week)?
    You shouldn't be going on the treadmill if you're struggling to do 20+ calf raises. At all.

If that's what the problem is, do the calf raises every second day until 3 sets of 25-30 is manageable without compromising the actual quality of the calf raise. When you've done that, you can go back on the treadmill.

If you try build greater endurance in your calves and run as well, you'll just overload them and they'll become tight and sore anyway.

Concentrate on building the endurance and then go back running.

Okay. I will do as you say and see how I get on. I'll report back. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Okay. I will do as you say and see how I get on. I'll report back. Thanks.

try the calf raises anyway. If you're able to do a couple of sets of those, 25-30 reps at a time, then the problem will be something else. But it'll be useful to know either way.

Just make sure you do them properly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭traco

Would similar apply to calfs cramping during a run or would the cramping be due more to muscle tightness? I'm not a distance runner but sometimes on 400m runs both calfs can cramp severely and hurt for several days afterwards.

Sorry for thread hijack but thought its a good place to ask and see if it has any relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Cramping can be due to mineral deficiency and or dehydration. Might be worth looking into magnesium and potassium.

If the area is tight you could roll them out on a lacrosse type ball finding the knots then when over the area move your foot back and forth.

A little update.

To be honest, I only partially heeded the advice.

I incorporated single leg calf raises as part of my fitness routine, doing them to failure. I admit that I still used the treadmill at the same time.

However the calves seem to be strengthening well and able for longer stretches on the treadmill. So thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I find if your calves are tight/knotting, a rolling pin gently but firmly over the relaxed muscle does a good job at easing the aching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 etoims

Calf raises are the classic calf-strengthening exercise. They use your body weight to strengthen and tone the gastrocnemius and soleus.

Starting position: Stand near a wall for balance. Place your feet hip-width apart, and make sure your ankles, knees, and hips are in vertical alignment to protect your joints.

Action: Press down into the balls of both feet to raise your body upward. Keep your abdominal muscles pulled in so that you move straight upward, rather than shifting your body forward or backward.

Advertisement