Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel problem

Options
  • 04-12-2013 2:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've got a master sheet of data from my students, but I've got to complete a page for each student in order to give them their up to date data.

Basically, what I want to do is for me to be able to type the name of my student into a new sheet, and the score to come up in a cell alongside the students name. Been playing around with VLOOKUP, but my Excel knowledge is limited!!!! It is in the same workbook though

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would a filter do the job? Highlight the column with the students' names and click "sort & filter"(top righthand side) and then click on "filter".

Then you can select to show each student individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

pivot table would be easiest, no? very easy to manipulate depending on excel version

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've to put in a comment for each student on a template that I have to hand out to the students - that template is the second sheet in the workbook

Excel 2013 btw

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

pivot table would be easiest, no? very easy to manipulate depending on excel version

how would that work??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ive actually been thinking about that....and of course it depends on how the data is formatted...im involved in sales so I use pivots all teh time for huge sheets of data that have names against them for totaling stuff and creating individual reports.

• Advertisement

What it is is one column of names, with another column containing a level, which is a letter and a number e.g. 5c

On the other sheet is a number of cells, one which will have the name, another has the level - just want to save time instead of copying all the levels across every time I do a name and comment. It would also mean that if their levels change in a few weeks time, it would save me time when doing them again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Have a look at this example - the second worksheet returns the code associated with that person on the first sheet.
    If it's close to what you are looking for, I can explain it a bit better.

Advertisement