Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VODAFONE 4" SMARTPHONE...29 EURO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mudxfxa

Hi, anyone know how to disable the annoying starting sound by any chance? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

For anyone buying this phone as a first smartphone for an elderly person who's used to a feature phone I recommend Perfect Keyboard Free.

It's got a decent T9 keyboard to maybe ease the transition.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=free.inputmethod.latin.perfectkeyboard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Bought this phone a few weeks ago but it was never received. Vodafone claim it was sent and their job is done and so do An Post. Nothing I can do. Have no phone and I'm down €29. Yay(!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

did u go directly to ur postman? if someone signed for it u can request copy of that signature.

did u go directly to ur postman? if someone signed for it u can request copy of that signature.

I looked online, the signature is in my name but its not mine. Not even similar, its just an A and then a squiggle and a S and a squiggle :(

rem well then its an post fault...was there cctv at ur apartment block. the postman should have asked for some sort of ID to verify they were the person signing for it...if there was a note left to collect it then they would have had to go to parcel depot where there would definitely be cctv.

rem well then its an post fault...was there cctv at ur apartment block. the postman should have asked for some sort of ID to verify they were the person signing for it...if there was a note left to collect it then they would have had to go to parcel depot where there would definitely be cctv.

When I contact An Post they say it was delivered and there is nothing they can do. I live in an estate and I was there all day when it was expected and absolutely nothing came.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Hi all, after reading all 14 pages of the thread, i want to ask a few questions on the phone & hopefully someone can answer them for me please.

I'm hoping to get two of them one for my mum & brother & it was quoted earlier that you can get it in your store as it states on the website, i wonder is it still available for that price instore?
    Buy online and get

On Next Day Delivery: Order for Christmas by 1pm December 23rd!

But i'm wary of that, especially at this stage
    One of the best bargain alerts ever.

Really nice phone. As I said it runs smoother than my Huawei y300.

The unlock code worked perfectly as well.

By the way you can get this deal in Bricks and Mortar Vodafone for 39 if you bring them in your old

number and switch.
    I'm not. It's available instore.

And I got the headphones with my online purchase( they'll join the countless other cheap headphones

in the drawer)

I have a few spare unopened Tesco sim cards, i have a spare phone i can put one in, but can i take in the other sim card in by itself?

& then to unlock them, can i use my tesco sim card if i dont have a spare one, as i've sent for another one from Tesco, if it gets here on time?

This tip will come in handy as posted earlier:
    Originally Posted by Burrow_Ursidae View Post

Any tips on opening the thing?

Can't put in the battery or sim card lol
    There's a slot beside the headphone socket where you take the surround off from the top of the phone

first then the back panel comes off.Just use your fingernail to pop it off.
    If there's anymore i remember, i'll add later on, but thanks for any info on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Still available instore,you can get a free sim from a Meteor/O2,whatever store & bring it into the Vodafone shop,they'll put the sim into an unlocked phone to check it.The person I spoke with in my local VF store is well used to people doing it at this stage & joked about it.
    The phone is easy to open,pop off the bezel surrounding the back & then the unit opens.
    If you order online the Tesco sim will need to be in a phone & working in order for VF to send the security code to it (use an unlocked phone to do it)
    An Post deliver the phone so you are pushing it at this stage to get it before Xmas,best to got to a VF store.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Still available instore,you can get a free sim from a Meteor/O2,whatever store & bring it into the Vodafone shop,they'll put the sim into an unlocked phone to check it.The person I spoke with in my local VF store is well used to people doing it at this stage & joked about it.
    The phone is easy to open,pop off the bezel surrounding the back & then the unit opens.
    If you order online the Tesco sim will need to be in a phone & working in order for VF to send the security code to it (use an unlocked phone to do it)
    An Post deliver the phone so you are pushing it at this stage to get it before Xmas,best to got to a VF store.

Thanks for the info, lets hope its still available in my local store & hopefully he jokes about it as well!
    As the only spare phone i have barely working is a Nokia 3310 ( i think 8yr old?) as my last phone accidentally fell into water was a Sony Ericcson W810i, i loved that phone, but wish i came across this thread earlier as i have now a Samsung Galaxy Ace, but may get an extra phone for a spare?

I suppose that's a question for the store tomoro or ask now regarding the spotify afaik its not tied to your phone, can you use that code on any smartphone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Still available instore,you can get a free sim from a Meteor/O2,whatever store & bring it into the Vodafone shop,they'll put the sim into an unlocked phone to check it.
    Do they call your phone, or do you need to have credit on it? (I just activated a 48 SIM and can receive calls and texts, but not make them...)

peckerhead wrote: »
    Do they call your phone, or do you need to have credit on it? (I just activated a 48 SIM and can receive calls and texts, but not make them...)

The girl in the shop told me to just pick up a sim in one of the other stores down the street,bring it back & she had an unlocked phone behind the counter to check it (they really just want to make sure you aren't messing with somebody else's sim).
    I ended up ordering online as my sim wouldn't work in her phone,I picked up a Tesco sim & put it in the wife's phone which is unlocked,I got a message sent to it with the code & away I went.

Well this is the story, landed at the Vodafone store,
    (happened to work with the person years ago & thought this should be easy or so i thought later on)
    was told they had none left & another delivery will be after 12, so called in after 1 & was half expecting something to happen & sadly i was told there was none in the delivery & asked to check in the L'kenny stores, none til after Christmas was the reply :(

But here was another thing i was told on porting the numbers, as i had asked about earlier on, was that the people who are porting the numbers over had to be in the store & the sim cards had to be checked out to see who they say they are :eek:
    I mentioned that it would probably be more difficult & longer to do online, to see what he'd say, ''The reason they come into the store is for Data Protection'' was the reply & at that stage there was a queue forming behind me at lunchtime, so i realised there wasnt much else to say, so i said i'd see him after Christmas?

Maybe he had to say that, as he had someone helping him that time, as just himself in the morning?

How did anyone else get through the online process & i assume its just one porting at a time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They used to call your phone. Do they not do that anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

I purchased one of these last week and ported over. Pick up a sim in Tesco for free. They are 99c but there should be a leaflet for free sim beside them. Went through the process of porting and they send a text to the number you are looking to port just to check that its your number. Straight forward process.

Nice phone for the price. Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

they usually just text you a code and you input that in. data protection I have never had an issue with getting it online as recent as 3 months ago, doubt it has changed much now though

I think it was when i said i had 3 people wanting to move over as i wanted to sound honest, instead of saying i have 3 unused Tesco sim cards on me, sounded more devious to me :rolleyes: ;)

In which i think the Data Prevention thing was mentioned, so its really straightforward on the website & can you port one after another or wait a bit?

ive done it twice in one day on the vodafone/fatcheese website. never had a problem. try it, sure you cant do any harm

Will do! Forgot about Fatcheese, although i do hear the way you should treat Fatcheese is treat it like long-term savings over 6mths or more :)

yeah you should have it by then ;)

• Advertisement

markad1 wrote: »
    Is the PID the same on all phones?
    I'd like to get the unlock code without opening it.
    If anyone could put up the PID code I'd appreciate it.
    Tks Mark.

The ID on the external sticker is V975-2AVDIE1
    Same inside the one I just picked up from my local store. I tried ordering online, so as to use the fatcheese link, but couldn't get it to accept the number to be ported — kept telling me it was already a Vodafone number, as others here have reported. They did it for me in the shop, though.

Pity about the fatcheese reward, but then again I have about €60 (awarded) cashback with them that I've been trying to redeem for the past two years. Can't raise a peep out of them.... :mad:

Well had already resigned to the fact that i couldnt get any til after christmas, was tied up today anyway to go anywhere as i wasringing up the contact no finding out when they're back in stock,
    the PAYG no. had checked stores & had said there were none, was wanting to ask about when the offer is up as they didn't know?
    & gave me one of the stores no in L'kenny, turns out that they had a delivery the other day & have them in stock :confused:

I couldnt have made it anyway, but doesn't that not put you off :(
    So will head there when it opens up on Fri, but i wonder can i go in there with 2 sim cards as i only have the one that's spare & say that the other is a spare/new phone for someone else?

is there a tesco near ya? if there is pop in. check the mobile phone area, or some flyers. there should be one flyer that says free sim card on it. take that and bring it with you. check out and get your free sim card. then do the phone shopping with your 3 sim cards that you need. * if it is 3 you need.

daytob wrote: »
    is there a tesco near ya? if there is pop in. check the mobile phone area, or some flyers. there should be one flyer that says free sim card on it. take that and bring it with you. check out and get your free sim card. then do the phone shopping with your 3 sim cards that you need. * if it is 3 you need.

I have 3 sim cards, from earlier in the year when they were free & one on the way, for handiness, but do i need a phone for when theyre in the process of porting and they send a text to the number you are looking to port?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Has anyone been able to use the Spotify 3 months free Premium on another phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got one in store but the guy tried to argue with me that the phone was already discounted instead of doing the sim changeover except I brought up the site page on my phone showing it was 39 with moving number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

It was in stock on the website yesterday, gone now...

I think they may have had a bit of a run on these; I think I only got mine in the local store because they'd had a few extra delivered this morning. Must say, it's a cracking little 'phone for €39 + £0.99 unlocking fee. I'm sure a few people bought several.

peckerhead wrote: »
    I think they may have had a bit of a run on these; I think I only got mine in the local store because they'd had a few extra delivered this morning. Must say, it's a cracking little 'phone for €39 + £0.99 unlocking fee. I'm sure a few people bought several.

The guy i was talking to said the offer would be on for the next month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Out of stock.

• Advertisement

my niece was soooo chuffed with hers today, she had the Smart II. I helped her set it up and its a wee bullet! no lag and it feels so comfortable in the hand. For what i payed it was a steal. Thanks OP...Very very happy 10yr old!! Headphones are great too!

Does anyone know on which ebay site that was mentioned can you get a cover for a Samsung Galaxy Ace, thanks.

Has anyone been able to use the Spotify 3 months free Premium on another phone?

Been going between two phones and a tablet with Spotify. Just download the app, log in, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Any recommendations for a case for this phone guys?

This was a present for my Mam for Christmas and she hasn't tried it out yet! :P
    It's her first smart phone.
    I'm going to try find out what happened to the second one I ordered after Christmas and hopefully get something done about it.
    Was expecting this phone to have a Micro Sim Card but thankfully it was just the regular one, the thought of having to get my Mam's ancient blue Eircell sim cut down! :) Seems to be a great phone for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The battery life on it is atrocious. I can't figure out why. I've installed 2x battery saver and a wake lock monitor but battery life sucked from a full charge to 15% in about 6 hours. Cell standby uses 38%. Only a few apps and they're housing less than 10% total.

The battery life on it is atrocious. I can't figure out why. I've installed 2x battery saver and a wake lock monitor but battery life sucked from a full charge to 15% in about 6 hours. Cell standby uses 38%. Only a few apps and they're housing less than 10% total.

Something wrong there,mine holds charge much better than my old phone,it's still on 30% after nearly 2 days use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I was wondering about this too. Like one of the above posters I bought this for my mam this year, her first smartphone too. Anyway, between people visiting and what not, she barely had time to look at it. Stephens Night was the first time she had a proper go at it. I had it charged and ready to go for her (think it was at 89% charge when she first looked at it Xmas Eve).
    Stephens night she had a right good go of it - (loves Angry Birds now! ) Battery warning pops up and we set it charging... Friday morning, unplug and attempt a few things and battery is 15%! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Something wrong there,mine holds charge much better than my old phone,it's still on 30% after nearly 2 days use.

Maybe something wrong with mine too so :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

That seems odd,as you'd be lucky to get a days usage out of most smartphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is this smartphone any good or just a tonka toy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

WikiHow wrote: »
    Is this smartphone any good or just a tonka toy?

Its an excellent smartphone, something like it would have cost well over 150 euro a year ago .

I bought this phone for my Mam for Christmas and she has yet to use it :P
    I have activated the 3 months free Spotify and 500MB of Data.
    I'm getting 10 down 3 up on my Moto G, will have to try with the Smart 3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Back in stock

Zardoz wrote: »
    That seems odd,as you'd be lucky to get a days usage out of most smartphones.

I suppose I don't spend ages on facebook etc. on it so maybe that's why my charge lasts that long.Most of the time it's just used as a bog standard phone with apps used sporadically when I need them.I see people constantly playing with their phones who then whinge that the charge runs out too quickly.

• Advertisement

And gone again just as I was about to order one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting an unlock code to work.

I purchased a code on eBay. I put in an unrecognised sim and then got a strange prompt and I put in the code. In did not get an "OK" message and the phone is not unlocked.

Can someone please explain each step involved in unlocking?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This a great little phone but would anyone have the settings for sending picture messages. Tried vodafone.ie but found that they are not available at the moment according to the site. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Has anyone been able to use the Spotify 3 months free Premium on another phone? If so, how did you do it?

Gone up to €79.

• Advertisement
Advertisement