Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 50 CRPGs of All Time

• 04-12-2013 3:21pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought the boards top 50 games was fun and seeing as rpg is my favorite genre I thought we could do the same here and maybe at the same time breath some life into this sub-forum. Anyway list your top 10 crpgs of all time and given a reasonable amount of time (a week or so?) I will compile the results (assuming we get more than one or two contributions). I need to have a think about my top 10 before posting it but thought I would suggest it for starters. For the sake of argument it has to be listed as an rpg on mobygames. So any interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

FFS, only seeing this now, can't believe voting is closed already ;):pac:

Will have a think and post back. Good Idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Giving this a bit of thought first, have a rough idea of a top 10 for myself, but I'm just checking mobygames to see if there's any obvious ones I've missed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The RPG Codex top 50 list on gog is always worth a look for reference if not for the amazing fact that they have 50 rpgs they agreed on. Codexians are notorious haters from what I can see if anyone is wondering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Heh, Icewind Dale. I haven't played that game in years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

The Codex list has put me off now, seems so highbrow . . .

but here goes:

1. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    3. Chrono Trigger
    4. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
    5. Guild Wars 2
    6. Bards Tale
    7. Grandia
    9. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    9. Final Fantasy IX
    10. Fall Out: New Vegas

Hard to choose between things that are technically good (Guild Wars 2) and things that I have a sentimental attachment to (FFVII and Grandia)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

My list. Surprised that Skyrim made it on to it. Probably reflects the dearth of great RPGs in the past few years
    1. Planescape
    2. Baldur's Gate
    3. Vampire: Bloodlines
    4. KOTOR 2
    5. Baldur's Gate 2
    6. Deus Ex
    7. Arcanum
    8. Fallout
    9. King of Dragon Pass
    10. Skyrim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you're counting deus ex what about systme shock 2? .. and then what about stalker? cos if you can count stalker i already know my top 2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

if you're counting deus ex what about systme shock 2? .. and then what about stalker? cos if you can count stalker i already know my top 2

The reason I link to mobygames is so we can avoid discussing what qualifies and just get on with it. Sadly this means Stalker doesn't get in as it would be in my list too otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

What my list tells me is that:
    a) I haven't played that many RPGs
    b) The RPGs on my to-do list (Persona 4, Chrono Trigger, the older Castlevanias) have been there FAR too long.
    c) I somehow managed to leave TWEWY off my top 10 games of all time list. Oops.

1. The World Ends With You (NDS)
    2. Shin Megami Tensei - Devil Survivor (NDS)
    3. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
    4. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
    5. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    6. Bastion (PC)
    7. Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
    8. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
    9. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (NDS)
    10. Bishoujo Sensei Sailor Moon: Another Story (SNES)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Mah list, with commentary. Platform is the one I played it on, not necessarily the one I think it should be played on or was best on.
    1. Baldurs Gate 2 (PC) - Hands down the reason I spend most of my leisure time rolling dice and pretending to be somebody else. Both an amazing game, a cultural institution, and a formative part of my childhood
    2. Deus Ex (PC) - One of the best games ever. Misses the top spot only because of what BG2 means to me.
    3. Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX) - That reveal. Phwoar. This game got me into Star Wars in a big way.
    4. Baldurs Gate (PC) - The sequel may have got me into roleplaying, but this game got me into CRPGs.
    5. Neverwinter Nights (PC) - To date I've definitely still clocked more hours of NWN than any other game, and possibly than all other games combined. It's not higher because almost none of that was actually in the game itself...
    6. Planescape (PC) - I think I might be ostracized for putting this so low, but I just never got into it in a big way. Still good, just not top 5 good for me.
    7. Morrowind (PC) - My favourite Elder Scrolls game, and the only one that makes this list. Just so much bigger than the ones that followed. Also the only Elder Scrolls game I've ever completed.
    8. Mount & Blade (PC) - Played this a lot in the alpha, never so much after release, but it's a damn fine game engine.
    9. Fallout: New Vegas (XB360) - Post apocolyptic cowboys, the game. Nuff said.
    10. Icewind Dale (PC) - Not having party NPCs killed a lot of the appeal of an Infinity Engine game for me, so this doesn't place higher.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1) Mother 3
    2) Earthbound
    3) Persona 4
    4) System Shock 2
    5) Chrono Trigger
    6) Panzer Dragoon Saga
    7) Etrian Odyssey
    8) Deus Ex
    9) Phantasy Star 4
    10) Grandia

I need to play more Western RPGs!

Vojera wrote: »
    What my list tells me is that:
    a) I haven't played that many RPGs
    b) The RPGs on my to-do list (Persona 4, Chrono Trigger, the older Castlevanias) have been there FAR too long.
    c) I somehow managed to leave TWEWY off my top 10 games of all time list. Oops.

1. The World Ends With You (NDS)
    2. Shin Megami Tensei - Devil Survivor (NDS)
    3. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
    4. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (NDS)
    5. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    6. Bastion (PC)
    7. Final Fantasy VIII (PS)
    8. Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
    9. Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (NDS)

I changed my list! I can't edit my original post any more. I forgot Bastion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    1) Mother 2
    2) Earthbound
    3) Persona 4
    4) System Shock 2
    5) Chrono Trigger
    6) Panzer Dragoon Saga
    7) Etrian Odyssey
    8) Deus Ex
    9) Phantasy Star 4
    10) Grandia

I need to play more Western RPGs!

Is Mother 2 and Earthbound not the same game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grimebox wrote: »
    Is Mother 2 and Earthbound not the same game?

Ah crap I meant Mother 3.

I changed my list! I can't edit my original post any more. I forgot Bastion.
    Ah crap I meant Mother 3.

Fixed and Fixed. I R helpful.

Is that Sailor Moon RPG any good? As an unapologetic fan of Sailor Moon, playing a decent sailor moon RPG would be great.

Is that Sailor Moon RPG any good? As an unapologetic fan of Sailor Moon, playing a decent sailor moon RPG would be great.

It's only okay. It makes my top 10 due to my tragically small sample pool to select from rather than being really great, if you know what I mean. I still had fun playing it, although telling the difference between all the senshi was hard at times because I never actually watched or read Sailor Moon (which is being rectified this Christmas). I'd give it a six or seven out of ten.

EDIT: You should also know, I like virtually everything, so I tend to mark generously compared to other people.

It's only okay. It makes my top 10 due to my tragically small sample pool to select from rather than being really great, if you know what I mean. I still had fun playing it, although telling the difference between all the senshi was hard at times because I never actually watched or read Sailor Moon (which is being rectified this Christmas). I'd give it a six or seven out of ten.

Watch it in Japanese. The English dub is so-so, the original japanese language version is comedy gold!

This isn't looking like a goer to be honest but either way another week can't hurt and I still haven't had time to sit down and come up with my own 10.

I'm kinda struggling with my list really. It's more likely to end up being a bunch of Pokémon games, with some Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and a Dawn of War game that I didn't think counted for RPG but was listed on the mobygames site.

• Advertisement

Well cancelled I suppose. Not enough interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

mewso wrote: »
    Well cancelled I suppose. Not enough interest.

If you posted in Games, I'm sure you would get a bigger response

Ah well I had hoped to encourage more visitors to this forum. It would be nice if people started popping in here to talk about rpgs other than the latest Bioware/Bethesda release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Well this forum tends to be about table top RPGing, and it's currently off season for that for many people :)

Morag wrote: »
    Well this forum tends to be about table top RPGing, and it's currently off season for that for many people :)

Things have changed and this forum is now for crpgs. Tapletop has it's own forum.

Things have changed and this forum is now for crpgs. Tapletop has it's own forum.

Located here
    Ah well I had hoped to encourage more visitors to this forum. It would be nice if people started popping in here to talk about rpgs other than the latest Bioware/Bethesda release.

Yeah, me too, but without moving some threads from the Games forum, I don't really see that happening :(

Once the turkey and ham has settled I might start a thread or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Do RPGs need their own forum? Or JRPGs their own subforum?

Advertisement