Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX One Controller - Battery Life

Options
  • 04-12-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

So I love my xbox one and think its great and all

But the 2 AA batteries really put a dampner on the whole unboxing, playing, and getting outbid on 3 players in ultimate team cause the controller died and i couldnt counter bid, that wrecked my head

So my question is, would it be worth it getting the plug and play or getting like 4/6 rechargable duracell batteries with the 45 minute charger?

I sit pretty far away from my xbox so previous rechargable packs on older gen consoles always had me standing while playing, they say its a long charging cable for the new one for the xbox one but how long?

As far as the duracell batteries, surely if you have 2 or 3 pairs you could swap out while charging and always at the distance im used to

Any suggestions, gonna buy one or the other today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I always buy a play and charge kit along with the console (not that we should need to but that's another story!). Messing about swapping batteries etc... and them dying right when you're in the middle of something, especially online, is a no no for me. The cable with the Play and Charge kit this time is quite long, but that's for my needs, I'd say it might be only about 1.5m in length in reality so maybe still too short for you. I'd still get it though and just have your Xbox in Instant On mode, then leave it charging while you're not playing every few days. It should never run out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

I have the play and charge kit myself and it is long, not sure exactly how long but it will touch the ceiling from my floor so a good bit longer that 1.5m, probably closer to 2.5m. The only problem I have is that there is no indication that the battery is running low and the controller just dies, but that is nothing to do with the play and charge kit and is the same with batteries.

EDIT: The official description says 9 foot length.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Just buy a battery charger and a pack of rechargable batteries.
    You get 4 batteries in a pack, have 2 batteries charged and waiting to be used when the set you're using dies, and then just stick the dead batteries straight into the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

dor83 wrote: »
    I have the play and charge kit myself and it is long, not sure exactly how long but it will touch the ceiling from my floor so a good bit longer that 1.5m, probably closer to 2.5m. The only problem I have is that there is no indication that the battery is running low and the controller just dies, but that is nothing to do with the play and charge kit and is the same with batteries.

You clearly paid more attention to its length than I did. :D

Also judging by your name are you my evil twin??? :eek:

dar83 wrote: »
    You clearly paid more attention to its length than I did. :D

Also judging by your name are you my evil twin??? :eek:
    Yeah, 1.5m would be too short for me, and most people I would imagine as you would need to be sitting very close to your tv.

haha, I'm sure someone will be confused and think "how did he thank his own post?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I think ill go for the batteries and recharging thing, because I remember with my 360 aswell the battery pack didnt last too long before it stopped charging aswell

The duracell and energiser batteries have like 500 cycles in them I think, 1.5 m would be way too short for me I sit like 10 foot away i think

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ugh, seriously how have they got away with not building in a rechargeable battery pack in their controllers as standard again?

I'm surprised they didn't make people buy a seperate wi-fi adapter again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

From the general discussion thread:

O9ygK0s.png

Note: I haven't actually tested these playtimes myself :pac:

Given previous experience with Play and Charge kits on the 360, and the cheaper price and quicker recharge time of batteries - Rechargeables all the way for me this time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm more outraged by the fact that there is no on screen / any kind of warning about the state of your batteries. Some of the features that were tried and tested on the 360 and are simply not present or have been implemented for the worse make you wonder what planet the designers are living on.

I'll give another example , want to try a demo of a game , you go to the store like any sane person would but find no sign of one, turns out you have to bing search to find demos :confused: Seriously love to kick whoever came up with that logic square in you know whatsits ..... idiots

I know you will get those who say it's only out 2 weeks give them a chance to fix this stuff but these are not new concepts for XBOX they have been around for ages on last gen. Nothing I hate more than to be told be some faceless corporate moron how they think I should be using my device especially when it counters any real world logic /rant over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah I have also read the that xbox one controllers are regularly hitting 40 hours without a charge which is unreal.

If I were you, just get a play and charge kit. The issue you talk about with the 360 have been resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

calex71 wrote: »

I'll give another example , want to try a demo of a game , you go to the store like any sane person would but find no sign of one, turns out you have to bing search to find demos :confused: Seriously love to kick whoever came up with that logic square in you know whatsits ..... idiots

I thought I just didn't know how to work it, absolute idiots of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haven't had any trouble finding demos?

I went into the store lastnight, searched "zoo" and up popped two results, zoo tycoon (full game) and zoo tycoon (demo)

Ok I went for an Energizer 1 Hour charge kit, it has like 4 x 2000mah energizer included in the price of 24.99 in argos. I though that was a pretty good deal like, by rotation, the batteries charge well faster than the other discharging in the control

Still a pain in the hole that there isnt a build in battery but I havea temporary fix, I have gone through 6 duracell batteries so far so the rechargable ones are a welcomed sight.

I always have the headset plugged into the control too cause im constantly online so maybe that has some sort of drag on on them too.

Thats some fix to the hardware side of things, now they have to get working on games closing, has happened to fifa and forza for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

am I the only gamer that doesn't like built in batteries. I prefer having batteries that can be swapped out. Eventually you'll need a new controller because it won't hold a decent charge if the battery is internal.

am I the only gamer that doesn't like built in batteries. I prefer having batteries that can be swapped out. Eventually you'll need a new controller because it won't hold a decent charge if the battery is internal.
    I'm the same, I'd rather have to replace a battery pack than a controller and as my controllers tend to get a lot of use the battery will eventually die.

Your dead right, I cant find any figures of actual charge cycles of the ps4 control for example but surely it would be fairly high before noticing a drop off

I never got to a point where the batteries got charged to the point of failure due to a few late goals conceded in Fifa and the control taking a trip to the land of the pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

My two dualshock 3 controllers hold their charge just as long now as they did 4 years ago, no new controllers for me.

I can't stand messing about with batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I personally like having the option of using both.

There is no noticeable difference between my 2006 DS3 battery length from the day I bought it until today. I cannot say the same with regards my XBOX rechargeable batteries.

However, I dont play on my PS3 often, this means that most of the times I will need to charge the remote before I can play, or play with the controller connected to the cable until it has enough charge, so the good thing about being able to use standard batteries is that if you have no battery left on your controller you can temporarily use normal batteries while you recharge the other batteries.

Personally, I think having both options (non rechargeable and rechargeable) is better. Another great advantage is that I can have two rechargeable batteries and have one always charged/charging while I use the other one, if the battery goes then a quick swap will allow me to keep playing wirelessly while I recharge the other battery.

With the DS3 I have no choice but to connect the cable.

Advertisement