Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help finding new bridle

Options
  • 04-12-2013 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm in the market for a new bridle bit don't know what to choose or where to start.
    I have been doing a lot of googling but don't know what brands are worth their price or what isn't. Stubben? Sabre? Albion? Something else?
    My horse is an Irish draught and his current bridle which came with him had a thick flat cavesson noseband and browband. I think that kind of style suits his big head.
    I won't be showing or competing in the bridle but would still like something that is good quality and looks nice and will last.
    If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful.
    Thanks
    N.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Berneys of kilcullen make really nice bridles. You couldn't do better imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I decided to splash out last year on a lovely Stubben bridle. I had assumed that my half-bred and RID would both share the bridle. Stubben full size was nowhere near big enough for the RID head! I'm actually using my show bridle for the RID....

How about custom made?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

+1 for Berneys, my clyde x tb had a really wide head but a shortish face, so they sorted us nicely. The cob I have now needs a full bridle and the Berney standard full I have for him wears really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Declan Clancy makes beautiful bridles, I have some 10years old now and they still look great. He's in newbridge and will alter anything to what you like too. Berneys gets a close no.2 vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 melsk1

There are some really good options on eBay. Such as Evison..(same English quality/leather as E Jeffries.) Handmade and Family run company. I am tempted by one of their bridles myself..

Here is a link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVISON-EQUINE-English-Leather-ROLLED-Comfort-poll-bridle-with-CRANK-FLASH-/190723462612?pt=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item2c680115d4

Or Stubben
    Another few brands I like are: Albion/ Sabre and Cliff Barnsby.

However also really tempted by the Micklem bridles... decisions decisions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I have a Stubben bridle, the waterford 1001 without the flash crank. It's just a simple, plain bridle but it looks really well on my mare. She's a sports horse and wears a full size bridle. For a horse with a lot of draught you might need extra full. I don't use the noseband for everyday as we don't need it with the type of bit we use so I just save it for hunting/showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

I decided to go for the stubben waterford in extra full.
    Hopefully it will fit him! I think the style will suit his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I decided to go for the stubben waterford in extra full.
    Hopefully it will fit him! I think the style will suit his head.

Where are you buying from? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

I bought it on http://www.equiporium.co.uk/ for 222 for the extra full including rubber reins

Advertisement