Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car-free Sundays once a month in city centre

Options
  • 04-12-2013 4:23pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the misleading thread title, but do you think this would work in Kilkenny? Could the city be adapted to be car free and give priority access to pedestrians and cyclists.

Maybe build large car parks in places like the mart site and the green areas near the cinemas to facilitate people accessing the city centre. Bring in bicycle scheme like they have in Dublin.

http://www.herald.ie/news/carfree-sundays-to-be-rolled-out-once-a-month-in-city-centre-29789942.html

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd love to see it, Kilkenny is a very accessible city and its not a big deal to walk from say High Street down to the Railway station and the likes.

However, oh man will people bitch and moan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

A far fetched idea alright but could it be made work?

A few more far fetched ideas.
      Mart site large car park Light rail system bringing people into the city. Parade, High Street, Rose Inn street all pedestrianised

www.scotsman.com/news/transport/pedestrianisation-of-inverness-city-centre-planned-1-3149610

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm all for it but without question there will be a lot of bitching and whining. I think if the counsel approached the local clubs about having a run/ walk/ cycle/ swim etc..... day it might be goer, a city sports day and close a few routes for a couple of hours, you might not get such negativity as people would be attracted to the city centre meaning a potential hike in business.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

If I owned Dunnes I might take exception to such thoughts, if I worked a six day week I equally might have a few words on the subject.
    Of course getting large items might bother Argos, though one could always go to Clonmel or Carlow.
    Whilst appreciating the plight of cyclists, is there that many in Kilkenny?
    Are you banning horse drawn vehicles and motorcycles?
    It sounds a nice idea, sort of Dutch undertones, but Kilkenny cyclist are not actually that facilitating, having sat a road junction to allow one of the left overs from "Le Tour" to pass in safety, he promptly turned left, no sign whatsoever.
    Who is going to pay for the rent and ride cycles in the first place, I am paying council tax for the good of the community not to waste money on schemes that look certain to disappear in next to know time.
    Also what is designated as the city centre, or are you condemming those who live in the west a pleasant journey right round the half finished ring road.
    Interesting subject, perhaps we could arrange a charity collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

not a chance it'd work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement