Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grayling fishing

Options
  • 04-12-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a certain part of kerry having grayling in its river?? I got the information from two men very knowledgable in angling and showed them pictures just to make sure . It was quiet a while ago but would love to know if they are there.

Anyone have any info???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I havent heard anything and if IFI found that there were any there they would electrofish the entire river and kill them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

jkchambers wrote: »
    I havent heard anything and if IFI found that there were any there they would electrofish the entire river and kill them all.

thanks for the reply.... If they did it wud b terrible, would be great t c the lady of the stream in this country..... And give us fly fisherman a species to target in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of a certain part of kerry having grayling in its river?? I got the information from two men very knowledgable in angling and showed them pictures just to make sure . It was quiet a while ago but would love to know if they are there.

Anyone have any info???

Thanks

I think a couple of Kerrymen have been pulling your leg... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

I had someone (from cavan i think) phone me up last year what appeared to be a genuine request for info on the best parts for Zander fishing in Leitrim!!!!!!!!

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    I had someone (from cavan i think) phone me up last year what appeared to be a genuine request for info on the best parts for Zander fishing in Leitrim!!!!!!!!

there are zander here now, aswell as chub, have seen the pics!!! Dont know how they got here tho???

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    I think a couple of Kerrymen have been pulling your leg... ;)

i dunno they seemed fairly serious, plus they dont know each other and spoke to them at different times!! Guess the only thing t do is t fish dat river in the upcoming season with a klinkhammer or pink shrimp imitation and hope for the best.

there are zander here now, aswell as chub, have seen the pics!!! Dont know how they got here tho???

Chub were introduced a good few years ago to the Inny. I'm calling BS on the zander story without proof...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Mullet and grayling look similar. I met a guy who swore to me he had grayling in Liffey at Heuston station. He didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

At a stretch it might be possible to mistake a grayling for a shad. the dorasl fin on a grayling looks alot less pronounced in real life that on the interweb.
    Id say the Shad are even rarer!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Definitely Mullet at Heuston alright.

• Advertisement

Chub were introduced a good few years ago to the Inny. I'm calling BS on the zander story without proof...

if ur on twitter tweet @predatorfishian, and hell share pics and details with u if u like..... I dnt hav any other contact for him.

tin79 wrote: »
    Mullet and grayling look similar. I met a guy who swore to me he had grayling in Liffey at Heuston station. He didn't.

one of these guys net fished a tidal estuary for around forty years for salmon so id say he knows wat a mullet is ;-)

Budawanny wrote: »
    At a stretch it might be possible to mistake a grayling for a shad. the dorasl fin on a grayling looks alot less pronounced in real life that on the interweb.
    Id say the Shad are even rarer!

ya dats wat i was thinking but wen they explained it had a redish to purpleish hue on a sail like dorsel it left me stumped!! Its a pretty good description of a grayling?

one of these guys net fished a tidal estuary for around forty years for salmon so id say he knows wat a mullet is ;-)

:) Maybe

Though an old boy fishing the dispensary in Leixlip hooked what he thought was a salmon one time in the 90s after a big flood. Turned out to be a red mullet ( a tench :) ).

He had been salmon fishing for probably 40 years too. These salmon guys are odd.

Budawanny wrote: »
    Definitely Mullet at Heuston alright.

They sure were alright. He had them on bread swore blind they were grayling because he saw pictures of them. Had the same mouth and large scales and all.

Sigh.

They sure were alright. He had them on bread swore blind they were grayling because he saw pictures of them. Had the same mouth and large scales and all.

Sigh.

on bread definately mullet....... Wud b a funny grayling t take a piece of bread:-)

:) Maybe

Though an old boy fishing the dispensary in Leixlip hooked what he thought was a salmon one time in the 90s after a big flood. Turned out to be a red mullet ( a tench :) ).

He had been salmon fishing for probably 40 years too. These salmon guys are odd.

ya i agree but strange both men wud say it and mention d same isolated river holds dem ( d river in question isnt tidal) .....

if ur on twitter tweet @predatorfishian, and hell share pics and details with u if u like..... I dnt hav any other contact for him.
    No people results for @predatorfishian.
    :confused:

:confused:

hi zzippy its @PredatorFishIan dat shows up as his twitter name, his name is Ian Hannon and his pic is him holding a pike if you want t search dat way maybe try dat..

hi zzippy its @PredatorFishIan dat shows up as his twitter name, his name is Ian Hannon and his pic is him holding a pike if you want t search dat way maybe try dat..

Still can't find him! This is weird... :confused:

• Advertisement

Still can't find him! This is weird... :confused:

it is weird.... Is dere privacy settings for twitter???? I didnt think so....

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

i cant find him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

on bread definately mullet....... Wud b a funny grayling t take a piece of bread:-)

I've caught many Grayling on bread when the water is coloured. They will also take sweet corn and worm although maggot would be the normal choice.

Never heard of any in Ireland though

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

there was an article in a fishing magazine a good few years ago where an individual claimed he was blindfolded and drove to a river in ireland and caught great grayling. dont remember if it was the april edition!! if you want to catch grayling fish czech nymph style

there was an article in a fishing magazine a good few years ago where an individual claimed he was blindfolded and drove to a river in ireland and caught great grayling. dont remember if it was the april edition!! if you want to catch grayling fish czech nymph style

That was in Irish Angler, and it was most definitely an April Fool article, the editor was fond of those. He had one another year about a striped bass being caught here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

That was in Irish Angler, and it was most definitely an April Fool article, the editor was fond of those. He had one another year about a striped bass being caught here...

Zzippy out of interest, you'd have a good idea on this - what non native species are confirmed to have crept into irish waters

Andip wrote: »
    Zzippy out of interest, you'd have a good idea on this - what non native species are confirmed to have crept into irish waters

chub , signal crawfish, stocked tiger and blue trout...... More will probably come t me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

chub , signal crawfish, stocked tiger and blue trout...... More will probably come t me

Rainbows, carp, some believe pike are introduced, Chinese mitten crab, zebra mussels, goldfish.
    I'm sure there's more to come.
    Tiger trout are a hybrid between browns and char and are non viable (can't reproduce) and therefore shouldn't really be classed as introduced fish.
    Blue trout are actually just rainbows which express a recessive gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

they did a cat fish one year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Andip wrote: »

Probably easier to list the natives...

Smelt
    Lamprey
    Shad
    Flounder
    Salmon
    Brown/Sea Trout
    Pollan
    Arctic Char
    Eel
    Stickleback
    Shad
    Sturgeon

All others are introduced, although there is an argument/evidence to suggest that pike may also be native.

Advertisement