Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grayling fishing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

chub , signal crawfish, stocked tiger and blue trout...... More will probably come t me

I've never heard of signal crayfish in Ireland, are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

viper123 wrote: »
    I've never heard of signal crayfish in Ireland, are you sure?

ya its on fisheries website on envasive species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Andip wrote: »
    Zzippy out of interest, you'd have a good idea on this - what non native species are confirmed to have crept into irish waters

The Invasive Species Ireland website has lots of info. Off the top of my head, the main ones of freshwater interest would be dace, chub, carp, zebra mussel, Lagarosiphon (curly leaved waterweed), Asian clam, bloody red shrimp and several various aquatic weeds. Other species that have been introduced but are here so long they would be considered naturalised would be roach, rudd, bream. While they may be considered native species, many species are not found in all catchments, so would be considered invasive in a catchment where they have not been found before. Lots of good info on that website about biosecurity and how we can help prevent spread of invasives.

It's there to inform people to watch out for it as a threat should it be introduced here. Signal crayfish has not been found in Ireland yet, and pray it never does, or our native species could be wiped out.

http://invasivespeciesireland.com/most-unwanted-species/potential/freshwater/north-american-signal-crayfish
    Origin and Distribution: signal crayfish are now widespread across many parts of Europe, but are not present in Ireland. The nearest neighbour populations to Ireland are present in England, Wales and parts of southern Scotland. Due to trade and travel links, Britain is considered the most likely source of non-native crayfish, but they are present across Europe, so there are a number of pathways that would bring non-native crayfish into Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

judging by the size of some of the claws i have found out and about i'd say there is a chance they are here. id have to get a proper id done though.

• Advertisement

judging by the size of some of the claws i have found out and about i'd say there is a chance they are here. id have to get a proper id done though.

supposed t b lovely t eat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

barbel here too in a few rivers....

are you serious???

supposed t b lovely t eat :-)

the local otters seem to love them!

i was on a coarse fishing website where people were wondering how they could get barbel and chub into their local rivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

viper123 wrote: »
    Probably easier to list the natives...

Smelt
    Lamprey
    Shad
    Flounder
    Salmon
    Brown/Sea Trout
    Pollan
    Arctic Char
    Eel
    Stickleback
    Shad
    Sturgeon

All others are introduced, although there is an argument/evidence to suggest that pike may also be native.

Think that IFI fully accept that pike are native. That recent report was signed off by Dr Martin O`Grady and Dr Joe Caffrey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

That doesn't mean they are actually present here. They are just a risk species. not confirmed in Ireland as far as I know (as of June was the last official update I had).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

On the subject of Invasive Species, there is an Invasive Species App available to download free to your smartphones. It gives a little info on each, and verified locations. It facilitates the reporting of Invasives so it useful to have on the phone.

Where? Haven't heard this one before...

one possibly two east coast rivers...
    and a river in the west has them happily swimming around too...
    the shannon was meant to receive a few too but they will never be seen again

one possibly two east coast rivers...
    and a river in the west has them happily swimming around too...
    the shannon was meant to receive a few too but they will never be seen again

Like other claims in this thread, I'm calling BS on this one. Unless of course you can provide some shred of evidence...? ;)

fair enough mate, i am not going to start naming rivers however after the inny chub fiasco with the electro fishing
    they maybe are not in the numbers viable for heading out for a days barbel fishing, whether they take hold, who knows.
    they are here though, fact.

fair enough mate, i am not going to start naming rivers however after the inny chub fiasco with the electro fishing
    they maybe are not in the numbers viable for heading out for a days barbel fishing, whether they take hold, who knows.
    they are here though, fact.

When you say fiasco do you think it was wrong to try to remove them? Or do you think it was wrong that they were introduced in the first place?

I think the topic has veered away from grayling ;-);-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Surely this thread is a wind-up. Ben you state that barbel are in rivers here. Have you seen them yourself? If so, as a conscientious and forward thinking angler is it not your duty to report the presence of any invasive to the appropriate authority?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    Surely this thread is a wind-up. Ben you state that barbel are in rivers here. Have you seen them yourself? If so, as a conscientious and forward thinking angler is it not your duty to report the presence of any invasive to the appropriate authority?

Absolutely. What a complete load of bullocks. Do people actually think that if barbel are here, which I doubt they are, that it would be kept secret for ever? This is Ireland, we can't hold our water.

I am remembering hearing strong rumours of carp in the Kells blackwater about 5 or 6 years ago, but since I've never seen one or ever heard of anyone catching one on the river. Bullocks I say bullocks, more chance of catching swimming bullocks.

• Advertisement

Ok i think its time to close d thread people are gettin a bit too excited....... it started as a thread t c if anyone from kerry had heard of a certain small section of river near an old english manor was rumoured t hav held a stock of grayling.......

Its now become a thread on wat species are in our waters and alot of big talk along with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Saw a carp in stephens green recently which surprised me

Ok i think its time to close d thread people are gettin a bit too excited....... it started as a thread t c if anyone from kerry had heard of a certain small section of river near an old english manor was rumoured t hav held a stock of grayling.......

Its now become a thread on wat species are in our waters and alot of big talk along with it.

You started the thread, then you also posted that there were zander in Ireland too, so two posts about non-native species. This is a message board for open discussion, don't be too surprised that a thread topic changes, especially when you were the first one to change it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Also that "article" in an angling publication a number of years ago referring to an angler being taken blindfolded in the dead of night to a stream containing grayling was in an April edition if i recall correctly.

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    Also that "article" in an angling publication a number of years ago referring to an angler being taken blindfolded in the dead of night to a stream containing grayling was in an April edition if i recall correctly.

Yeah i did say in the post i couldnt remember if it was the april edition or not.

It hasn't really gone off topic with grayling been a none native species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

There was a Catfish caught in the Grand Canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Interestingly enough I see that Grayling are classed as a protected species under the 'Berne Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats' of which Ireland are a ratifying country.

If they were found in Ireland, albeit as an 'invasive' species, would the Irish authorities be limited in what they could do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Andip wrote: »
    Interestingly enough I see that Grayling are classed as a protected species under the 'Berne Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats' of which Ireland are a ratifying country.

If they were found in Ireland, albeit as an 'invasive' species, would the Irish authorities be limited in what they could do ?

I'd say its either implicit or explicit somewhere that is protection in natural habitats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rsheehan

Grayling are a lovely fish and I have been lucky enough to catch Grayling and Arctic grayling BUT..

I would hate to see them introduced to our Island. We have Europe's best trout and and salmon and grayling would not improve this. There is the danger that any grayling brought to Ireland could bring Gyrodactylus salaris 'fish/salmon fluke' with them. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11403770

This could potentially devastate our salmon rivers. I would hate to think a few short sighted anglers would put one of our finest natural resources 'Salmon' at risk.

As a quick note, if you fish in a country infected with Gyrodactylus please disinfect your kit before you use it again in Ireland and ask any visiting angling friends to do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

rsheehan wrote: »
    Grayling are a lovely fish and I have been lucky enough to catch Grayling and Arctic grayling BUT..

I would hate to see them introduced to our Island. We have Europe's best trout and and salmon and grayling would not improve this. There is the danger that any grayling brought to Ireland could bring Gyrodactylus salaris 'fish/salmon fluke' with them. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11403770

This could potentially devastate our salmon rivers. I would hate to think a few short sighted anglers would put one of our finest natural resources 'Salmon' at risk.

As a quick note, if you fish in a country infected with Gyrodactylus please disinfect your kit before you use it again in Ireland and ask any visiting angling friends to do the same.

Have only fished for the arctic ones myself ( as in fished in the arctic). didnt know there was a difference to be honest. Used in laws kit so no danger of cross contamination. was a few years ago..

Advertisement