Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating milk

Options
  • 04-12-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

OK, this is about as basic as it gets! Anyone got any tips on heating milk? I'm newly pregnant and have a cup of hot milk every evening before bed to help me sleep but I have now burned the arse out of two saucepans eek.png You'd swear I never go near the kitchen! Is there some secret milk heating club that I'm not aware of? Why does this keep happening and is there some magic trick I need to know of so it won't happen again?:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you have a microwave? Best way by far if you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

No unfortunately we don't so I'm stuck with the Victorian way of doing things for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I just microwave it, this also heats the cup.

The first time you do it go easy, you don't want to boil it. Like do 30sec and then 10sec after and 10 again if not hot enough, test with your finger and do it again. Take note of the times you used. You could also use water as your first test run.

Once you have it right it should be consistently repeatable, as long as you use the same microwave, same cup and same volume & temp of milk each time.

EDIT: only see the no mircowave thing now. It would need stirring to ensure its not burning, if you boil milk it tastes manky to most, you could use a thermometer or finger to test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm afraid you just have to stand there and watch milk heating because it boils so quickly. Once it starts to 'swell' you have to whip it off the heat.

Congratulations on the pregnancy :)

I'm afraid you just have to stand there and watch milk heating because it boils so quickly. Once it starts to 'swell' you have to whip it off the heat.

Congratulations on the pregnancy :)

Aww thanks Dizzy :)

I think my problem has been putting it perhaps on a Hell inferno type temperature (the very highest) to heat it quickly but this probably isn't the best approach - I'm really not a patient person. What kind of heat setting would it be best to heat it on? My rings go from 1-6, so should I put it on a medium heat perhaps? Thanks x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes you're right about the heat. I'd keep it at about 3 or 4 because the higher heat will make it stick at the bottom of the pot.

You're a star, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Nothing to say about milk, but congratulations on the pregnancy! I expect lots of bonkers food posts from you now. Quails eggs sprinkled with charcoal, chocolate-covered fish fingers and so on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

As per Dizzy, dial 3-4, keep your eyes on it and keep stirring. I'd normally turn it down to 1 once it simmers a bit.

Congratulations Merkin. Stay healthy.

Aww thanks for the good wishes everyone, you're all lovely :) No mad cravings so far although I shall keep you posted!

• Advertisement

Just to update you all. Thanks for the wonderful tip! Kept the milk on a nice steady 3-4 and I came out with a. beautifully frothy milk and b. a saucepan that can be used again! Cheers x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you have a french press AKA cafetiere you can make really frothy milk. Usually done for coffee based drinks.

Another way is pouring it into a bottle and shaking it really well, it just introduces air into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Congrats on the pregnancy! I drank so much milk when I was pregnant I was worried I'd end up giving birth to a calf instead of a baby.

If you're suffering from morning sickness at all I found ice cold milk was great. I had very bad sickness (hyperemesis) and I think drinking milk kept me alive - it was one of the only things I could take!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    . I had very bad sickness (hyperemesis)

So did I - it's truly awful. With my second daughter I was hospitalised for 3 months. Once I got over the worst I had to have ice cold milk at every night at 4am.

Lolers at your calf comment Murdy!!

You poor things the two of you. I'm actually quite lucky as I just have mild intermittent nausea and nothing too bad at all. One of my best mates is also pregnant and she's just been diagnosed with HG and hasn't even been able to keep water down. Funny how you both gravitated towards milk isn't it? Must be something very primal about its comforting properties!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Merkin wrote: »
    Lolers at your calf comment Murdy!!

You poor things the two of you. I'm actually quite lucky as I just have mild intermittent nausea and nothing too bad at all. One of my best mates is also pregnant and she's just been diagnosed with HG and hasn't even been able to keep water down. Funny how you both gravitated towards milk isn't it? Must be something very primal about its comforting properties!

It's weird alright! My mum was the same too. She was as sick as me and ice cold milk was her thing too - and trifle but I didn't go in so much for that!

Fingers crossed you stay only slightly nauseous. Your poor friend though. Dizzyblonde you've scared me now! I was hospitalised to go on drips but only for a day here or there and let home in the evening then. Everyone told me the second would be easier on the puke front :(

Merkin, I can confirm I had a very lovely baby boy, not a calf but I'm watching him for signs of milk addiction : D

Extra Calcium is good for you when pregnant so good on you for hitting the hot milk :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Dizzyblonde you've scared me now! I was hospitalised to go on drips but only for a day here or there and let home in the evening then. Everyone told me the second would be easier on the puke front :(

Ah don't worry - it's different for everyone. I know someone who only had it on one pregnancy.

Advertisement