Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 NAT Type 1 with eFibre

Options
  • 04-12-2013 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

So after many years with the slowest speeds around, I finally got eFibre yesterday, but my gaming still isn't very smooth, so I tried switching from NAT Type 2 to Type 1, but I'm having major difficulties doing that.
    I've using PPPoE, but that doesn't work, it fails to obtain an IP address. I've tried broadband1 and eircom@eircom.net for username, and broadband1 for password, but nothing works for that.
    I also tried setting a manual IP address and changing the DMZ in the router, which got the IP, but it was still NAT Type 2.
    Anyone got any recommendations? Cause I'm pretty stumped now

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Chikablam wrote: »
    So after many years with the slowest speeds around, I finally got eFibre yesterday, but my gaming still isn't very smooth, so I tried switching from NAT Type 2 to Type 1, but I'm having major difficulties doing that.
    I've using PPPoE, but that doesn't work, it fails to obtain an IP address. I've tried broadband1 and eircom@eircom.net for username, and broadband1 for password, but nothing works for that.
    I also tried setting a manual IP address and changing the DMZ in the router, which got the IP, but it was still NAT Type 2.
    Anyone got any recommendations? Cause I'm pretty stumped now

NAT 2 is perfect.
    You do not need NAT 1.
    If you're gaming isn't smooth, it may be something else.
    What's is your ping like?
    If anything that will be the main cause of your gaming online issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Im with upc myself and ive tried to get to nat 1
    but since looking into it on other forums ive decided to settle with nat2
    because once its in dmz then all the ports are open for that ip even thou it says nat2

until I here of a deffinite guide to put the ps4 in nat 1 ill settle for nat2 in dmz

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

My ping's around 45 according to speedtest, 33 according to pingtest
    I was playing CoD4 though, and it was lagging fairly bad

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

F1ngers wrote: »
    NAT 2 is perfect.
    You do not need NAT 1.
    If you're gaming isn't smooth, it may be something else.
    What's is your ping like?
    If anything that will be the main cause of your gaming online issues.

This.
    OP, you only need to make sure your not on nat 3, nat 1 isnt needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Im with upc myself and ive tried to get to nat 1
    but since looking into it on other forums ive decided to settle with nat2
    because once its in dmz then all the ports are open for that ip even thou it says nat2

until I here of a deffinite guide to put the ps4 in nat 1 ill settle for nat2 in dmz

THere is no "settling" for NAT2. NAT2 is the golden standard. It's what you need for steady game play. If anything, NAT1 is worse than NAT2.

eircom have a lot to answer for with their ****ty modems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

NAT type 2 simply means your behind a router getting a private IP address. This is totally normal and doesn't indicate any major problem with your connection.

NAT 1 only means your connected direct to your access point and obtaining a public IP. While it's ideal as there is no local routing, the local routng slow down is VERY neglibale (less than 1ms in most cases but you can ping your modem to check this) when compared to other factors such as jitter from network interference or local WiFi interference.

The best suggestion one can make is to NOT use WiFi for gaming. You should see a drop in your ping when connecting over Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Upc out today sorted my 60mb up to 150mb
    probably wont notice much gaming difference but delighted with speed tests

Advertisement