Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfair bann

Options
  • 04-12-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭

high i received a 2 week bann from commuting and transport from an admin (BuffyBot ) for the following

Quote:
    Originally Posted by end of the road
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyBot
    I presume you have some factual evidence to back up this nonsense, apart from your assumption that it's "most likely"? No?
    If not, then don't throw out such stuff on here again as it contributes nothing.
    we don't have a great history of regulation, were very culturaly similar to the UK where from my experience much of bus privatisation costs more yet delivers less, were not the best at implamenting other countries ideas, would that be enough for you? my personal experiences? can you provide me with evidence to counteract my opinion? or could you tell me what evidence you would like me to post?

my issue here is that BuffyBot did not state that his post was that of a moderation issue rather then a general post, he wrote it in such a way that it could be classed as a post that was left open to reply to, i then believeing it was a general post rather then a moderation issue replied stating that my opinions were of personal experience, i then asked what other types of evidence i should post, from my reading of his post he didn't make it clear that he was writing it in a moderating capacity rather then a general post, i believe by him describing my posts as "nonsense" that he is probably in favour of what was being discussed in the topic (the tendering/privatisation of some dublin bus routes) if so i don't have a problem with that, but i don't believe its right to ask me something and then bann me for giving an answer that isn't liked., thanks for replies in advance

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey there end of the road, I'll be looking into this for you.

First things first, have you contacted Buffybot via PM as per the DRP protocol chart above?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

high Ickle Magoo, yes i have been in contact with buffybot

Hey there end of the road.

It is extremely common for Boards moderators to make it clear when they have their "mod hat" on by posting in bold. With a very respectable post count and numerous mod actions to your name - including threads where just such differentiation has been used - I would expect you to be fully aware of this.

The post in question reads to me as an emboldened warning clearly from a moderator of the forum regarding what is acceptable to post in the thread/forum. I don't find Buffybot's rhetorical question ambiguous even if your response had actually contained the factual citations requested.

On Boards, moderator actions tend to be accumulative and as you reveived a ban of one week in August of this year on the back of both warnings and an infraction, I can see no reason to overturn this longer ban. I can only reccommend you ensure that you are aware of the rules pertaining to each forum and only post accordingly or you will innevitably find yourself on the end of progressively longer, if not permanent, moderator actions.

Please indicate if you wish an admin to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

high Ickle Magoo, i still maintain that in my opinion his post didn't make clear that it was a moderation issue and that the post was written in such a way which allowed me to reply, i feel that it would have been better for buffybot to raise the issue in a pm meaning we could fully discuss it off thread allowing me to clarify my point and provide what he required (i will look to suggest that moderation should if its aimed at a person be done via pm when the moderation feedback comes up for commuting and transport) . however i will except what you have said and wrote and your interpretation as an independant mod
    i thank you for your time and responce and will therefore leave it at this as theirs probably no point in taking it further

It is just not feasible to administer Boards via PM and nor would that act as a warning, deterrent or guide to other posters reading that thread. The site protocol as outlined in the FAQ that all posters are advised to read prior to posting on the site makes it clear the onus is on posters to be on the look out for moderators in their own forums giving in-thread warnings.

A list of who moderates each forum can be found at the foot of each forum home page or if browsing the full site a list of forums moderated can be found under a posters "handle". Keep an eye out for moderators posting, especially in an "official" capacity using deliberate methods such as emboldening to highlight that fact. If you aren't sure if your response is appropriate or you have any doubts as to whether they are acting as mod or poster, you can avoid any potential action by PMing the moderator in question for clarity.

As you don't wish an admin to review, I'll have this marked resolved.

All the very best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement