Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre Vs Dedicated Fibre

• 04-12-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

I was wondering about the difference between a dedicated fibre connection to the premises and something like eircom's eFibre offering.

I know a dedicated fibre has an almost unlimited upgrade potential, so that's a big advantage in the long run. But just to compare two basic options, for example a 10 Mbps dedicated fibre connection versus an eFibre connection with 50 Mbps download, 15 Mbps upload speed. One costs roughly €1000 per month, the other is under €50.

Is the eFibre actually faster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Upstream wrote: »
    I was wondering about the difference between a dedicated fibre connection to the premises and something like eircom's eFibre offering.

I know a dedicated fibre has an almost unlimited upgrade potential, so that's a big advantage in the long run. But just to compare two basic options, for example a 10 Mbps dedicated fibre connection versus an eFibre connection with 50 Mbps download, 15 Mbps upload speed. One costs roughly €1000 per month, the other is under €50.

if you place is ftth eircom can offer 150mb/30mb speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eircom's FTTH is 150Mb/s I think, but they don't actually sell it currently. FTTC (eFibre) will do 100Mb/s eventually.

A commercial fibre connection is unlikely to be less than 100Mb/s and symetrical (eFibre is assymetrical - the upload is a lot less than the download) - even then its probably actually a 1Gb/s circuit rate-limited to 100Mb. It will probably be uncontended also and be supplied with a proper SLA. So your comparing apples and oranges really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Upstream

loyatemu wrote: »
    Eircom's FTTH is 150Mb/s I think, but they don't actually sell it currently. FTTC (eFibre) will do 100Mb/s eventually.

A commercial fibre connection is unlikely to be less than 100Mb/s and symetrical (eFibre is assymetrical - the upload is a lot less than the download) - even then its probably actually a 1Gb/s circuit rate-limited to 100Mb. It will probably be uncontended also and be supplied with a proper SLA. So your comparing apples and oranges really.

I think eFibre is meant to be uncontended as well so there shouldn't be too much difference there. Good point about the SLA, that can make a big difference to what product you actually end up with. Regarding the actual speeds, any quotes I've got for fibre in the last year or so have all started as low as 2Mb/s up to 10, with the indication that something like 100Mb/s would be a different price again. That makes it hard to justify a move to fibre as even though it's not really costing the provider much more to offer a massive difference in speed the price is in a different ballpark. Maybe I was looking at too low a speeds to begin with, but that seems to be how must operators have it priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭MrO

I think eFibre is meant to be uncontended as well so there shouldn't be too much difference there. Good point about the SLA, that can make a big difference to what product you actually end up with. Regarding the actual speeds, any quotes I've got for fibre in the last year or so have all started as low as 2Mb/s up to 10, with the indication that something like 100Mb/s would be a different price again. That makes it hard to justify a move to fibre as even though it's not really costing the provider much more to offer a massive difference in speed the price is in a different ballpark. Maybe I was looking at too low a speeds to begin with, but that seems to be how must operators have it priced.

As mentioned in another thread - all retail offerings are contended (or aggregated at some point).

I don't understand who or what company would have offered you a direct fibre connection for 2-10Mbit/s. Are you sure about this?

Outside of the eircom trial areas (c~ 8000 homes) and the original Magnet offerings (c~15k homes). There is nobody offering fibre to the home.

Edit: Actually re-reading your post, I presume the quotes you got were for leased-line type services as opposed to retailed broadband offerings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

loyatemu wrote: »

they do sell it if the building is pre-fibre enabled already to home or the cabinet is fibre to home enabled... there are many customers in wexford town and south dublin that have ftth on 150mb profiles

magnet also offer this if the building has been pre-fibre enabled too

if you plan to build a new house i recommend you put ducting (2 inch pipe) from your house to the point outside your property so that u can avail of fibre to home in the future as all the tech would need to do is push the fibre line through your duct especially if fibre to distribution point becomes available

the fibre line wont be 2 inches thick but it will allow a line to be pushed through with ease

• Advertisement
Advertisement