Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Wings for Dogs?

• 04-12-2013 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I am currently feeding my 16mth old Boston Terrier a diet which consists of Tate of the wild kibble substituted with some fresh meat and veggies as a treat.

I have read that raw chicken wings are good for dogs and their teeth. However I am worried about the dangers of choking and splintering. Can I give my dog the occasional raw chicken wing as a treat? Are there other bones I can give him that are safe and good for him?

Thanks for the feedback I just dont want to give him anything that can do him harm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

any raw bones - including chicken wings - are fine for dogs. Its the cooking of bones that causes them to splinter and subsequent dangers. Im sure some of the RAW experts will be along soon to advise you. Nice to see a photo of your dog??!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Rightly or wrongly, I'd be a little more careful with small brachycephalic breeds, because their jaws just aren't as powerful, and they may struggle to really chew larger bones up enough before swallowing.
    I'd be inclined to try your Boston with the easiest of them all... Chicken necks, and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭FlowerGarden

I've given my two bichons a chicken wing for breakfast every day for the past two years and they love them. I find if I give anymore than that one of the dogs gets a bit constipated.
    It's amazing how much less poop there is when they are fed a raw diet compared to dry food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

chicken wings are fine raw, Id echo what the other person said re yours doggies smaller mouth, just watch him, maybe even break it up a tiny bit..

I just started feeding raw last week and was terrified of giving chicken bones, so far they've had thighs, legs, backs, gizzards + drumsticks all with no prob, now that Im thinking maybe a drumstick might be easier for your guy?

chicken wings are fine raw, Id echo what the other person said re yours doggies smaller mouth, just watch him, maybe even break it up a tiny bit..

I just started feeding raw last week and was terrified of giving chicken bones, so far they've had thighs, legs, backs, gizzards + drumsticks all with no prob, now that Im thinking maybe a drumstick might be easier for your guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I wouldn't feed chicken wings to smaller breeds, my large (30kg) kelpie only gets the tips of the chicken wings(raw) and I make sure she has crunched them up and has swollowed them without getting caught...I love my dog.

Chicken necks (raw) would be a better option for smaller dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Stressica wrote: »
    drumsticks all with no prob, now that Im thinking maybe a drumstick might be easier for your guy?

Drumsticks have a very fine pointy bone in them, while not dangerous to most dogs, it could be a danger to younger dogs that tend to gulp instead of chew their food.

yeah didnt think of that, i was just relating it in my head to the way my JRT eats his, he uses his paws to hold it and then gnaws/chews the other end, keeps him busy for ages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Katrina101

Thank you so much for the relies. I really want to make sure he gets a good balanced diet. I will start of with the chicken neck and see how he gets on. This may be a silly question - but where would I get a chicken neck? Should I ask my butcher to keep one for me? Do I just give it to him whole with no preparation?

When I work out how to attach a pic I will add one :)

Thanks again this forum has been a god send to me ...(and Monty)

You may have to try a few butchers to get one that will supply chicken necks, or if you have a regular butcher he may get them in for you if you ask nicely!
    They're pretty small, ranging from middle-finger-sized to a little bigger, but they're not solid bone, and easy to eat. You should probably get a few dozen at a time, you can freeze them.
    I'd be inclined to cut them up into bite-size pieces at first, and see how your little dog copes: does he chew them, or do they go down in one? Once he's giving them a good chew, he should he okay with a full neck, which you can hold at one end whilst he chews the other, until you can see that he's well able to cope :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would never give bones that small, i've seen the consequences and its terrifying so he never gets anything like that anymore

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I would never give bones that small, i've seen the consequences and its terrifying so he never gets anything like that anymore

Bones small enough to go down unchewed, raw, with no sharp edges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    Bones small enough to go down unchewed, raw, with no sharp edges?

I've had sharp bits come out the other end with Bailey that cut him or the whole bones coming out so decided it was too risky. I'd only give them now if I'd smashed them up a bit first to break the bones but very rarely since they're a bit too fatty for him. That said turkey wings will be on their menu this year :p

tk123 wrote: »
    I've had sharp bits come out the other end with Bailey that cut him or the whole bones coming out so decided it was too risky. I'd only give them now if I'd smashed them up a bit first to break the bones but very rarely since they're a bit too fatty for him. That said turkey wings will be on their menu this year :p
    With us they got stuck half way down so there was blood coming from both ends. He's 14 in a few weeks time so not risking it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Ive never felt that taking the risk with any bones was worth it so I never give them bones. I did used to give marrow bones just for a recreational chew years ago but one of my dogs managed to get a piece of bone shaped like a small spear off it so stopped giving them.

Sorry should add in edit (as the above sounds a bit like Im contradicting myself!) I never felt giving "edible" bones like chicken wings, carcasses etc. was worth the risk. I had always been under the impression beef marrow bones were pretty indestructible and wouldnt splinter sharply so were safe to gnaw on - but then dog managed to prove otherwise.

tk123 wrote: »
    I'd only give them now if I'd smashed them up a bit first to break the bones but very rarely since they're a bit too fatty for him.

Oops, that's what I meant... if you cut chicken necks up into smaller sections, they're rounded and don't cause a problem if they go down in one.
    ryanf1 wrote: »
    With us they got stuck half way down so there was blood coming from both ends. He's 14 in a few weeks time so not risking it again

Jeez.. what a horrible experience and glad he survived it :(
    What sort of bone caused this to happen ryanf1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Samphire

Asked my vet about this recently, and she said that salmonella from uncooked chicken was the biggest risk

Samphire wrote: »
    Asked my vet about this recently, and she said that salmonella from uncooked chicken was the biggest risk

According to the research, more people have got salmonella poisoning from tainted dry dog food than from feeding them raw meat!
    Salmonella isn't a huge risk to dogs with their incredibly acid stomach acids, and lysozomes, but their owners do have to be careful handling raw chicken. My guess is that owners tend to be more careful to maintain hygiene around raw chicken than they would be with dry dog food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Samphire wrote: »

Biggest risk to what exactly? I would like a genuine answer to this is possible.

Raw food needs to be prepped properly for humans, same as dogs, except you worry less about dogs as the stomach acid content for dog is far more impressive for breaking things down( like bone)- hence dog can eat all kinds of things that would make you and I sick, but not our pets.

So again, what might be a risk to the average dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

My two go through chicken wings like butter. Lambs necks appear to last longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    My two go through chicken wings like butter. Lambs necks appear to last longer.

Oh I've never gotten lamb necks! Are they fatty? OP if you're based in Dublin FX Buckleys in Moore street do chicken necks, hearts and stuff like that. If not Prize Choice do frozen chicken necks for not that much more.

DBB wrote: »
    Jeez.. what a horrible experience and glad he survived it :(
    What sort of bone caused this to happen ryanf1?

It happened just over 2 years ago so I can't recall exactly but it really was a horrible experience. I remember being in the vets that morning and she went to take his temp and next thing there was blood all over the table because it had cut him inside. That was the moment where I thought he might not make it but thankfully he did and is now more spoilt than ever as a result because we are so glad he's still with us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My two cats get raw chicken wings or drumsticks everyday for over a year now and have no problems. My vet recommended raw rabbit bones too but just haven't the heart to use fluffy bunnies for cat food.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Katrina101

Hi,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the replies, they have been really helpful.

I tried Monty with some chicken necks and he seemed to like them :) I've also started giving him home cooked food, such as beef/lamb mince lightly boiled with veggies such as carrot, sweet potato and greens (BT's are apparently allergic to chicken so have to avoid) I would like to feed him on a 'raw' (or slightly cooked) diet 100% as he is prone to skin conditions and from what I have read feeding this kind of diet can help. However I am worried about times when I have to kennel him. Will the kennel want the fuss of feeding him on this diet?

For all those who follow this feeding plan for their dogs, is it possible to feed them a mix of say kibble for brekkie and home cooked meat and veggies for dinner? I also give stag bars to help with his teeth cleaning?

Sorry for the long post I am trying to work out the best, healthiest manageable diet for him as he is prone to dry/itchy skin and some light balding.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate everyone's feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Katrina101 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the replies, they have been really helpful.

For all those who follow this feeding plan for their dogs, is it possible to feed them a mix of say kibble for brekkie and home cooked meat and veggies for dinner? I also give stag bars to help with his teeth cleaning?

We feed kibble in the mornings and raw in the afternoon. Raw can be a chicken leg, thigh, few wings. Every other day it's a 'parcel' for the raw meal. These are made of raw red meat, fish, chicken, cooked brown rice, carrots and other veg, salmon oil and eggs. All mixed together and wrapped and frozen to weighted 'parcels'.

A big raw brisket bone every two weeks replaces these afternoon meals for spotless teeth and healthy gums.

That way - if we're camping or I forget to take out a parcel - we can just feed kibble

Whatever works for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Katrina101 wrote: »
    Hi,

I tried Monty with some chicken necks and he seemed to like them :) I've also started giving him home cooked food, such as beef/lamb mince lightly boiled with veggies such as carrot, sweet potato and greens (BT's are apparently allergic to chicken so have to avoid) I would like to feed him on a 'raw' (or slightly cooked) diet 100% as he is prone to skin conditions and from what I have read feeding this kind of diet can help. However I am worried about times when I have to kennel him. Will the kennel want the fuss of feeding him on this diet?

Sorry for the long post I am trying to work out the best, healthiest manageable diet for him as he is prone to dry/itchy skin and some light balding.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate everyone's feedback!

Katrina, I kennel my dog at least once a year and it's never a problem. I mix all his raw food into a huge mixing bowl, ( Mackeral, chopped/hacked up chicken- bone included- mince, small amounts of liver and kidney) smoosh it all together, alld a dollop of salmon oil, smoosh some more, then weigh it out into freezer bags and freeze the lot, and bring it with me on day I'm dropping him off. Easy for them to defrost as required.
    As a matter of interest I never add any veg to his food at all, and rice only very occasionally if he's been working hard and I feel he needs a little extra bulk. I never cook any of his food, ever ( he is currently lying on the lawn demolishing a rack of raw pork ribs), but as Hooked says, each to their own, do what you feel works for you. I think what you're doing is great and I hope your dog will benefit greatly from this dietary change.

Advertisement