Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Present(s) for a 10-year-old girl

Options
  • 04-12-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So my stepdaughter will be with us for Christmas (she lives abroad) and she confided in me during the summer that she no longer believes (no surprise there).
    We have asked her what she wanted and all she has come up with so far is an iPhone 5s, which we told her she cannot have for many reasons.
    So I'm wondering if there is anything else that 10-year-old girls are in to?
    We have previously bought her a DS and a Nabi for Christmas - she's into technology but is fairly typical besides that.
    I've already bought her some perfume and soap (which I know she likes as she sneaks mine all the time). I was thinking of a cupcake maker also (she likes baking when she's here) but am stumped otherwise.
    I'd really appreciate if anyone else has girls of the same age and tell me what they are into. Thanks for reading :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

What are the main reasons for the iPhone? (Out of curiosity. My 9 year old brother wants one, I told my parents not to get it! I might upgrade to a 5s and give him my 4s before Xmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LittleRose

PeteK, we're not sure she even wants one. We think it's her Mum who wants one (previous form) and we will have an old one in a few months' time that we will give her then. There is no way we're spending €500+ for a phone she'll have to relinquish when she gets home. And we want Christmas to be about fun and indulgence for her, like it is for her brother and sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I don't have child of my own but I have nieces and nephews both older and younger than your step-daughter.

One of the nieces is good with her hands and loves craft type sets - If you look up on amazon.co.uk and put in her age you should get some ideas.
    Another girl loves clothes and jewellery. Could you give your step-daughter a €20 euro gift card for Penneys and go with her on a shopping trip without the other children?
    She would enjoy seeing what she could get for this money and might like some time on her own with you.
    Does she have a camera or an mp 3 player?

Also if she is into cooking would she like to have some easy cook books for her own.
    I give this book as a present one time Ultimate Children's Cookbook (Dk) which is being sold on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

PeteK* wrote: »
    What are the main reasons for the iPhone? (Out of curiosity. My 9 year old brother wants one, I told my parents not to get it! I might upgrade to a 5s and give him my 4s before Xmas)

Sorry to go off topic but why did you tell your parents not to get it for him and then you ride in like the hero and give him one. What message is that sending to him.

Op, if she likes perfume maybe get her something like this:
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=perfume+maker&authToken=

There are other ones that make jewellery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but why did you tell your parents not to get it for him and then you ride in like the hero and give him one. What message is that sending to him.
    It means Santa doesn't send him everything. They even want to get him a tablet, apparently because everyone has one. My phone isn't new, it won't matter too much if he loses or breaks it. I'd get it insured but you can't make unlimited claims.
    I also said to him before that he can have mine when I upgrade.
    Though I was supposed to upgrade a few months ago but I did tell him December, which is the real end of my contract. eMobile are letting me upgrade sooner, but I didn't get to it. He wouldn't see me as a 'hero' lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

PeteK* wrote: »
    It means Santa doesn't send him everything. They even want to get him a tablet, apparently because everyone has one. My phone isn't new, it won't matter too much if he loses or breaks it. I'd get it insured but you can't make unlimited claims.
    I also said to him before that he can have mine when I upgrade.
    Though I was supposed to upgrade a few months ago but I did tell him December, which is the real end of my contract. eMobile are letting me upgrade sooner, but I didn't get to it. He wouldn't see me as a 'hero' lol.

Off topic I know but you can't insure a phone if it's older than 12-18 months (or something like that..), I looked into it as I gave my daughter my 4s when I upgraded!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A cake pop maker could be fun seeing as she could make cupcakes in the oven if she liked. It's kind of frivolous but you could have fun with her helping her decorate and praising her designs. You can get all sorts of cool cake decorations too like edible glitter and food pens etc that would lend themselves to being creative.

Personally I wouldn't give a ten year old an iphone just on the basis that it could make her a target for theft back home. An ipod touch could be a lovely gift,it has all of the benefits of an iphone minus the phone aspect so she could keep it at home and use it there.It really is fantastic. It makes unsurvised access to the internet very easy and might be unwise for such a young girl though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some good suggestions in here. As for the iphone 5, I think the OP knows already that this one should be a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Thanks everyone for your replies - for some reason I've only seen them now.

We have since gotten her a game for her Wii and I also got her a little gift set of nail varnishes (they're all into doing their nails now) and some hair things.

Whimsical - I think I will definitely get her the cake pop maker - we could have fun with that while she's here and she can also bring it home with her.

We usually get her something big (Wii, DS etc) but we can't and won't buy her the iphone so I think the alternative is lots of little things to open on the morning - I hope she'll get a kick out of that.

I will also take her shopping as suggested by Lady 2013 and the cookbook sounds great - I don't know why I didn't think of that as she loves cooking when here and always asking me to show her how to make things.

Thanks again everyone - merry Christmas!

Thanks again everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter is ten and is getting a phone (a 50e smart phone). She's also getting a lava lamp, books, One Direction bits and bobs.
    Would you maybe do an "experience" with her as opposed to a present? I know my daughter would love something like going to a musical or a day out of her choosing? Especially as she is travelling back home, it would make sense rather than her travelling with items etc.

...................Whoops, missed your response. You're sorted so :) Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement
Advertisement