Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teach in Dubai/UK/or hope for a job at home?

• 04-12-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all, I completed the dip last year and am currently completing a postgraduate diploma in school guidance and counselling. Come May, I really need to look for a proper teaching job (preferably something permanent). Obviously, the situation at home is grim and I know there are plenty of options when it comes to teaching jobs. I am wondering however am I better off staying here in Dublin for summer and hoping a position comes up(considering i have the added bonus of career guidance behind me)? Or should I bite the bullet and teach in England (despite the horrendous workload and hours and crap pay!). Or should I do to Dubai to teach? (I hear the money is better but im worried its too much of a culture shock for me and id be very lonely!). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

Where are you doing the postgrad, I'm looking for one. Don't come to England, it's vomit. Teach in an international school in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

The last I heard the English teaching situation wasn't great in Dubai. I hear the market is over saturated and its very expensive out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Where are you doing the postgrad, I'm looking for one. Don't come to England, it's vomit. Teach in an international school in Spain.

I'm currently in maynooth doing pgdip in school guidance and counseling!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Frances1

Hi,
    I worked in Dubai for 4 years. It is no more expensive than Dublin and you should find a job easily enough and you will definitely meet a lot of people there. I am doing my dip in business this year and am thinking about doing school counselling in maynooth next year. What is the course like?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭clo1

Thanks! Its a great course. Extremely interesting and you will learn a whole lot about yourself that you didn't know .There's a huge emphasis on self awareness and on the counselling bit and not so much on the career side so just remember that if your applying. Some great lecturers on the course though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I'd go to the UK, even just to get the 300 hours signed off and done. It's a lot of work but it will make you a really, really good teacher when you come back.

I was in the Middle East last year for a year, it enabled me to clear my debt. This year I am in London getting my NQT year out of the way, after this I'm free :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emz13

Do ye have any websites that ye would recommend to look up teaching jobs in Dubai?? Really interested in going over Sept 2014!

Tes.co.uk for direct applications or Seekteachers or teach anywhere for agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

I'm in the same boat doing the PDE in Trinity Religion, English and CSPE and I don't know what to do when I finish. Would love to hear other peoples experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

scoopmine wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat doing the PDE in Trinity Religion, English and CSPE and I don't know what to do when I finish. Would love to hear other peoples experience.

I would advise you to look in the UK first. They usually recruit around April/May so you can relax a bit over the summer knowing that you have a full-time job in September, rather than waiting by the phone for weeks in the hope of securing 5/6/7 hours somewhere. Yes, it's tough over there but you will become a MUCH better teacher for it and you will get your 300 hours signed off by Christmas if you change your mind and wanted to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Afroshack wrote: »
    I would advise you to look in the UK first. They usually recruit around April/May so you can relax a bit over the summer knowing that you have a full-time job in September, rather than waiting by the phone for weeks in the hope of securing 5/6/7 hours somewhere. Yes, it's tough over there but you will become a MUCH better teacher for it and you will get your 300 hours signed off by Christmas if you change your mind and wanted to come home.

Thanks Afroshack now just have to finish this PDE!

There are certain schools in the Middle East that you can complete your NQT year in so I assume you can do the 300hours there. They have to be part of the BSO I think it's British schools of the Middle East. I'll check that it may be something different. It is only the very good schools that are part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

Hey teaching in the UK is fine if you find the right school. The difference between the right and wrong school can be paramount. Also being in a school where you get the relevant support is important too. Of anyone wants to PM me please do! I've had bad experiences but I went through an agency that actually listened to what I wanted and eventually got into a school that I enjoy!! They also have vacancies abroad as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emz13

Hey teaching in the UK is fine if you find the right school. The difference between the right and wrong school can be paramount. Also being in a school where you get the relevant support is important too. Of anyone wants to PM me please do! I've had bad experiences but I went through an agency that actually listened to what I wanted and eventually got into a school that I enjoy!! They also have vacancies abroad as far as I know!

I am just wondering which agency did you use to find work? I am looking into applying earlier this year but what to find a good agency to work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

Emz13 wrote: »
    I am just wondering which agency did you use to find work? I am looking into applying earlier this year but what to find a good agency to work with!

Hey! I went through KS Education, they are great! They are a really small agency and have a very personal approach!! They are very honest about your options and get you the school you want!! And stay in contact to make sure you're happy etc! And they are very good with the interviews also!! If you want you can PM your email and I can pass it on, or you can look up their Facebook page! :)

Advertisement