Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enjoying college at all, options for next year?

Options
  • 04-12-2013 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I did my leaving cert in 2013 and received 340 points. I managed to get into NCI on a Computing based course, a career choice chosen for future career prospects rather than based around my passions.

Problem is, I hate every day of it. I'm the only person from the country around and it's really hard to fit in when everyone is from Dublin and knows each other/are mature students. Academically I'm struggling because it involves a lot of Maths that I was never good at, writing/arts was always my strength (A2 in LC HL English :)), but my parents said they wouldn't pay for a "useless" Arts course. To add onto that, I live in a flat of girls that hate each other and are unsociable (always go out with their own friends). These past 4 months have been pretty miserable, I'm not even a shy person and it's making me feel very lonely whilst my friends from home are branching out and making a whole new set of friends from their colleges.

I was wondering what options I have or if anyone who has had a similar experience can share any advice? It's getting me down and I'm usually one of the most chilled, positive people around! If I was to drop out, do I apply to CAO for next year? Or is there a certain system for folk like me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I had a similar experience to you years ago,I went to college after the leaving and hadnt a clue what to do so like you I chose a career based course.I hated every minute of it kept scrapping by in exams as I had no interest.The biggest mistake I made was I decided to stick it out ,I went as far as 3rd year before I chucked it.So I would advise you to get out before its too late find something you love. Arts is not a dead end like some would have you believe,it can be a step to a multitude of interesting careers.

Secondly if you decide to stay the course,move out of that house before you crack up.There should be plenty places available to rent as alot of stundents tend to quit by christmas leaving spare rooms available. keep an eye out in student common areas for ads check them out see if anything suits you but make sure you find a place that you and you alone are happy with

Now as far as I know and I am open to correction if you quit before christmas you will be eligible to apply next year with the CAO and may be eligible to reapply for student grants

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Zedd1

Omg I thought I was the only one in the country feeling this way :O I did the lc in 2012 and 2013 and was studying an engineering course but left before the end of October because I HATED it. Like yourself I was never strong in maths and also got and A2 in higher English. Only for my best friend she got me into a part time job for a few days at Halloween and I'm currently doing a few days for the run up to Christmas so I feel like I've earned something. I've reapplied to the CAO (the day it opened in fact) for NUIG. I'm trying to start driving lessons and do a first aid course in the new year just to pass time. Everyday goes so slow but just try find something small even just to keep yourself going, trust me it helps :)

Advertisement