Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALDI Medion Lifetab E7316 - any good?

• 04-12-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I'm completely new to Android but see that Aldi are selling this tablet on Sunday.

Now I know that the Nexus 7 is probably THE tablet to buy but my budget won't stretch that far at this time of year.

Is the ALDI tablet any good? Would it be relatively fast? How would it compare with a frist generation iPad?*

*I'd prefer a reasoned answer here rather than an Android fanboi answer if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Id say it would be fine, nothing amazing but spec wise it should be fine for most tasks you can throw at it.Watching videos on youtube it seems to handle games well too, and the 3 year warranty is nice piece of mind. Do you mind me asking what your budget is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

projectgtr wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what your budget is?
    Haven't really thought about it but I'd say £80 is top of my range (It's on sale for £79.99 here in England). With Christmas around the corner and the fact I'm buying a TV for a relative as well as all the usual Christmas stuff, I'm not even sure that I want to spend as much as £80. So something just as good but even cheaper would be great :)

Just had a quick browse for the spec i dont think you can beat it, Tesco have a 7inch Asus for £79 but its only a single core processor :eek: . So for £79 Aldi tablet ticks all the right boxes. Looking at a few videos on youtube they look like they have decent build quality and browsing and overall user experience seems snappy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 stonebob

ya im in two minds myself ..battery life is only 4 hours compared to an average of 10 in the others screen average ...and how reliable is medion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

Got one of these today and hope it turns out well as it's an Xmas present for me dad! Anyone else get one and is using it straight away??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Holy crap! I walked into my Aldi* at 12.30 to do my weekly shop and there were 7 left in-store. They were also selling a 32GB micro-SD and adapter for £16.99 and had a lot of those left too. No queues and nobody looking at the tablets either. I can't believe some stores had people queuing for it :)

*I live in East Anglia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Got one yesterday. They were not on display but asked and they went out the back and got one.

It's a present for a child and first impressions setting it up are very positive. Feels slick and fast. Comes with a lot of apps that I'd get rid of straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Picked up one yesterday too, slight problem, I can't seem to launch Google Chrome on it?
    Not really that tech savey so I haven't a baldy where to start.
    When I tap the chrome Icon the page flash's up for a split second and closes. any Ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nightwatchdog

I just purchased one for my wife from an Aldis here in the states for $99.00 bucks. I will let you know how good it is after the holidays.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Holy crap! I walked into my Aldi* at 12.30 to do my weekly shop and there were 7 left in-store. They were also selling a 32GB micro-SD and adapter for £16.99 and had a lot of those left too. No queues and nobody looking at the tablets either. I can't believe some stores had people queuing for it :)

*I live in East Anglia.

were the Micro SD cards stocked on the same day or overstock from previous days? i got a GoPro and never realized i needed a micro SD card, alos do you know what class they were?

projectgtr wrote: »
    were the Micro SD cards stocked on the same day or overstock from previous days? i got a GoPro and never realized i needed a micro SD card, alos do you know what class they were?

They were in stock on Sunday but I don't know if they were Class 10 or not. I looked briefly but as I wasn't getting one I didn't really check it out.

neckedit wrote: »
    Picked up one yesterday too, slight problem, I can't seem to launch Google Chrome on it?
    When I tap the chrome Icon the page flash's up for a split second and closes. any Ideas?

Thanks[/QU

Got the Chrome thing sorted, Been using it since, All good bar battery life.

Thanks[/QU

Got the Chrome thing sorted, Been using it since, All good bar battery life.

How long are you getting out of a single charge mate??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I have the same problem with Chrome.
    How'd you get it fixed?
    I just downloaded firefox app in the meantime.

Battery life appears pretty bad. it seems to run down very fast, and I barely got an hour out of it yesterday.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    How'd you get it fixed?

Battery life appears pretty bad. it seems to run down very fast, and I barely got an hour out of it yesterday.

Oh no :-( That is atrocious battery life!!

How'd you get it fixed?

I simply updated the latest Google Chrome, Job done,
    As for the battery life.....jurys out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ah crap. :mad:

As bad as that???

Got the mother in law one for Christmas. She'll not be impressed.

Are you completely closing Apps when you are finished with them or are you minimizing them? Also, do you have the screen on brightest setting at all times? Are you playing lots of video?

Just trying to get an idea of what sort of activities you are using it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In fairness, I don't think I have it a full proper charge.
    Just had it in there so hopefully it's better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I bought one of these for the kids and it just got unboxed over the Christmas. Quite nice, on first impression — and battery life seems good — but I've come up against one small difficulty for which there may be a glaringly obvious solution ...if so, apologies in advance!

I've checked all the settings menus and can't find any way to to enable USB debugging, or indeed any sort of access at all to developer settings — it's just not listed in the system settings menu. You can allow installation of third-part apps under the security menu, but that's it.

Does this mean it's unrootable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

peckerhead wrote: »
    I bought one of these for the kids and it just got unboxed over the Christmas. Quite nice, on first impression — and battery life seems good — but I've come up against one small difficulty for which there may be a glaringly obvious solution ...if so, apologies in advance!

I've checked all the settings menus and can't find any way to to enable USB debugging, or indeed any sort of access at all to developer settings — it's just not listed in the system settings menu. You can allow installation of third-part apps under the security menu, but that's it.

Does this mean it's unrootable?

How to enable developer options:

http://www.androidheat.com/enable-developer-options-android/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Nice one, cheers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Can I connect this tablet to my TV to watch Netflix does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

can this be rooted?

Dont seem to be able to move apps from internal to sd card.

tia

Advertisement