Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a meal

• 04-12-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking for some advise re a good Italian restaurant in Galway?If not any recommendations re any nice eateries in the centre of town/in the Shop Street area would be appreciated?
    Ta
    Selig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a few Italian places around town. I like Trattoria but High Cafe have amazing pizzas imo.
    Fat Freddy's around the street have nice pizzas too.
    The pizza place on Cross street have great pizzas but isn't a restaurant per se (tiny).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Il Viccolo is a gorgeous little cafe/wine bar that serves really good food. Much better than all the Italian places I've tried in galway which seem to be generic pizza and pasta. It's on buttermilk walk, just up from the library and 2 minutes from shop street.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks guys you've been very helpful. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Il Viccolo is a gorgeous little cafe/wine bar that serves really good food. Much better than all the Italian places I've tried in galway which seem to be generic pizza and pasta. It's on buttermilk walk, just up from the library and 2 minutes from shop street.

I actually thought Il Viccolo was terrible. massively overpriced too.
    Maybe it's just me but the Venice cafe around the corner has fantastic food , although the place is a bit of a kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya, I would recommend Venice if you want fantastic Italian food, and aren't bothered by the tables being very very close to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I actually thought Il Viccolo was terrible. massively overpriced too.
    Maybe it's just me but the Venice cafe around the corner has fantastic food , although the place is a bit of a kip.

I thought the food was great when I was there. I really like that it's real Italian food, not just pizza, ravioli and pasta with a cream or tomato sauce. You can tell that absolutely everything is fresh made from scratch too, including the pasta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

If you want authentic, rustic Italian then its IL Vicolo, they dont do your run of the mill penne in a creamy sauce, if its a British/Irish style Italian then Venice is grand, all the pizzas and baked pasta you'd want.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If you want authentic, rustic Italian then its IL Vicolo, they dont do your run of the mill penne in a creamy sauce, if its a British/Irish style Italian then Venice is grand, all the pizzas and baked pasta you'd want.

Meal planned for next Saturday night,does IL Vicolo require pre booking?Thanks for all your help guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Meal planned for next Saturday night,does IL Vicolo require pre booking?Thanks for all your help guys.

Ya it can get very busy and usually a lot of people will book in advance.

Advertisement