Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Phibsboro?

Options
  • 04-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a house here but am completely new to this area. What's the area like for a young family? Are there any decent restaurants, cafes, schools etc? Also, would be travelling to and from work in the southside on foot, so I guess near Dorset St, Parnell St etc. Is it dodgy? The last time i walked it i witnessed a massive fight outside the Rotunda. Not sure I could cope with that on a daily basis. Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

What road? Close to the canal near Glasnevin is very safe. I walk through Phisboro daily and never have had an issue. And walk into town with problems. I have done it dozens of times on my own in the early hours of the morning with no problems either. The area was mostly non-nationals until recently, but there is a lot of Irish moving back into the area. But there is little or no child in Phisboro. But there is tons in Glasnevin and Drumcondra. There is also plenty of decent playgrounds etc around the area.

Phisboro has barely improved in terms of shops in the last 10 years. This is because a few families own chunks of Phisboro and arent bothered redeveloping it. But you are literally in town so the lack of shops doesnt matter. There is a really good restaurant called Woodstock cafe for food,which is amazing but pricey. You have Dublinbikes on your doorstep which is excellent. I dont know anyone who lives in Phisboro despite living beside it. Scoil Mobhi in Glasnevin is supposed to be an excellent primary school and a lot of people send their children to private schools in the city for secondary school. Ard Scoil Ris on Griffith av is a good boys secondary and Dominicans on Griffith Av. has very mixed reports, buts its about the best girls secondary.

I wont be worried about violence. Very few innocent people get hurt in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Looks a bit dodge as it's old and red bricked like Fairview, however never had any problems when living near there, as far as I know one of those boozers near the traffic lights is best avoided, apart from that fine, much better than Finglas up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I live in Glasnevin and walk through Phibsboro every day and its fine I have never seen any trouble. Having said that I would go mad if my Fiancée walked home on her own after dark but then I would probably feel like that about most areas! Woodstock is right in the town and do really lovely food you also have Porterhouse which does nice food and some good craft beers a little walk down you have the Botanic House which is more main stream beers but also does some really good food other than that I don't think there are many places to pop in for a drink! Be handy having a Tesco on your doorstep though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I lived in Phibsboro for 5 years and loved it. Only 20 min walk to O'Connell St and a nice choice of local shops/cafes/facilities on your doorstep. I did suffer one break in but this can happen in every suburb.

Walking Dorset Street late at night can still be (or feel) a little dodgy but fine during the day and evening time.

I'd recommend the area. Due to the proximity to the centre, it is starting to slowly become gentrified as owner occupiers buy and renovate former redbrick bedsit type homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I own a house in the Dorset street end of Phibsboro and Ive never had any problems in any way. There was a few dodgy types hanging around the village during the summer but they've been moved on recently by the guards.

The pubs are grand I regularly drink in the pubs at the village corner and there's always the Brian Boru for family meals etc and there's a few cafes but no restaurants. There's a primary school on St Peters road and an Educate Together near Stoneybatter. There's also a Tesco in the village and a new express Tesco opening on Dorset St soon and a 24 hour in the village. The Dublin bikes stand is on Eccles street and a new one is opening at the Mater on Ncr next year so you could easily bike it across town. There's also a little library if your kids like reading.

Id totally recommend it but it can be tough to find a house with a decent garden at a good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've lived in and around Phibsboro for years and I love it. It's the ideal distance from town, the last place I lived I could walk 15mins and I was on O'Connell street. There's lots of amenities in the area, Woodstock is really nice, you're also nearby Glasnevin and Drumcondra so plenty of nice places to eat. There's some nice things in the area like the canal, the basin, the botanic gardens up the road, not far from the Phoenix park, walking distance to the Lighthouse cinema which is a great cinema. Good libraries in Phibsboro and Cabra for your kids, the big tescos is also not far up the road in Cabra. There's a lidl at the back of Glasnevin cemetery, as well as a big Woodies, there's a nice market on near there every weekend. Further down the line, DCU is just up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Dont forgot OP, that Phisboro is the best place to live for 3rd level education for your kids. There is the 46a staight to UCD, St pats, DCU, DIT and TCD are all walking distance. You are beside the Drumcondra train station for NUIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Couple of restaurants on Manor St.

And sorry to be pedantic - it's Phibsboro/borough - not Phis...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Gene_Parmesan

Lived in Phibsbo/Phibsborough (whichever is preferred :P ) all of last year and didn't seem like a bad area in fairness. Anywhere reasonably close to the city centre is going to have a fair amount of people through it and with a large volume of people comes the odd d***head but it did seem alright in fairness.

Thinking about it I do remember leaving the Tesco in the Phibsborough shopping centre one afternoon and there was Garda tape around the pharmacy a few doors down from it. I was told that someone had robbed the pharmacy and stabbed one of the people working there! Don't mean to be a fear monger by any means though and as I say I don't think that was indicative of the place as a whole.

You won't go hungry in Phibs, Woodstock Cafe, Eddie Rocketts, Abrakebabra, Leo Burdocks, McDonalds, Subway all puking distance from each other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Phibsborough is great, never have a problem walking through there, and have walked all the different options through. Great amenities in the village, but the lack of a really good cafe is somewhat annoying ... unless someone knows of somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Phibsboro is great - here Druids replaces the morning latte.

I live near the canal and have never had any trouble.

It has great bus routes, lots of nice places like the Botanic Gardens within walking distance, a variety of pubs.

Ravelleman wrote: »

I live near the canal and have never had any trouble....

....getting rid of the bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Lived in Phibs for 5 years and every time I happen to be back in the area I wish I still did. Great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Big fan of the Phibsboro / Drumcondra area some nice amenities close by like botanic gardens, griffith park, close to the city centre walkable. Close to st. pats college, and DCU (although an uphill cycle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Lived there in 05/06 and loved it. Not much shopping if you want a shopping centre type place but it's so close to the city centre there's no need. On plenty of bus routes and also walking distance to town. Has the essentials, like Tesco, banks, chemist, and it's close to the lovely botanic gardens area.
    Nice restaurant on Glasnevin Hill and numerous other eateries. A few nice bars too.
    I'd agree it's not an area with many families though - seemingly not anyway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Old Thread closed

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement