Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Question

Options
  • 04-12-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Can anybody tell me if I change my .243 for a .223 is it a substitution or is it a new application and another 80€ my .243 licence is 6 months old,firearms officer put it through as a substitution as he has always done which it is in his words but new super sent it back and says its a new application who's right?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Super. As s/he has the final say.

The law says "like for like". This has always been a discretionary term. So if you change a bolt action, unrestricted, 6.5x55 rifle for a bolt action, unrestricted .270 rifle then 99% of the time it'd go through as a substitution.

Others have gotten even better subs with Over/Under shotguns for semi auto (both unrestricted) and some from .223 up to .308 (seen one, but no more).

However it is at the discretion of the Super, and while both are (i presume) bolt action and unrestricted rifles they are not the same caliber. One is a deer rifle (deer legal) the other a varmint (non deer legal). Now this should, if anything, be in your favour. I've done this before and it went through because i was moving to a smaller caliber. The same should apply to you.

You could request a meeting with the Super and explain this or simply put up with it, and pay the €80.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'll give you .22 Hornet to .308 on a swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alan155

Well I rang firearms officer following day and he told me all was good he checked with hq first and they said it was a substitution so he went into new super and he had to agree so happy days it pays to question these decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's good to know that you have a Super that's not insisting on being right just because of the amount of embroidery on his/her shoulders. It's often a mark of capability and intelligence in senior officers and decission makers in general that making the right decission based on the correct information as it becomes available is more important than "saving face".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Good news, glad to hear it.

As said it's also good to hear a Super listening to advice from those put in those positions to supply support.

Well done again.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement