Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to rent in Cork City

Options
  • 04-12-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello all,

I'm wanting to rent in Cork City academic year 2013/2014 and will be hopefully moving between May and August 2014 (the most reasonable place that isn't mank).

I was wondering, do the rent prices soar as September is in sight or is it the same/competitive? I don't want to end up living in expensive squalor.

I know it's very early so bear with me (raaaar!) but I'm trying to prepare. I know a lot of people like me have rented out rotten places for extortionate prices due to need. So any insight would be so appreciated.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

As your talking about academic year I presume your going to college - rents close to the college will be high as landlords are looking to get 12 months rent in 9 months. Try looking further away from the college.

How well do you know the city, if its UCC your going to the 205 & 208 busses serve that and go onto CIT. If you can get a house share close to those routes you can get the best of both worlds - access to college but living near the city/amenities

• Registered Users Posts: 24 TheGovernor

The course is in Sawmill Street and ideally I'd like to live close by (10 minute walk?) to minimize lateness and for general handiness.

Cork is small B-). Anywhere in the city centre will be near that street. Best advice I can give you is to come down and walk around for a day - it won't take more than a day to walk around

Douglas street is a popular street for going out and seems to have a lot of rental properties on it - parking is LIMITED though.

Barrack street will have a lot of rentals as well but its a main thoroughfare & rental area for students so it will be noisy.

If you want peace and quiet consider renting on the roads out towards Douglas as you'll be on quiet areas and will have a bus service for the mornings its raining and you don't feel like walking or cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Deerpark, Turners Cross and the lower end of Blackrock road would suit you to a tee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 TheGovernor

Thanks for all the helpful info everybody. The quiet life is my kinda thing so thanks for that advice quietsailor :)

No problem, If you want to have a look around daft and post up a few links I'll take a look at them and give you an idea of the area, you can get a rough idea of the areas before you come down next year to look for accom.

I'm going to Germany for a week though so I probably won't check boards that much until I'm back so don't worry if you don't get an immediate reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Sure one of the other Corkonians can reply in your stead.

Advertisement