Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has been the worst player to start consistantly for a major club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rory Delap, a consistent starter for Stoke for about 4 years in the PL, apart from his throw ins he was an incredibly average player.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    Ah yes, David May, first name on the team sheet.

Honestly, does anyone read the thread title?
    ''Who has been the worst player to start consistently for a major club?''

May was never a regular, nor are half of the players listed here.

He was regular enough to win 2 Leagues, 2 FA Cups and CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

NANI!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Have you ever watched him play? He wasn't near good enough to lead the line for them. Not saying he was a complete failure but he wasn't up to the standard and everyone knew it yet he continually played.

And saying he was "top scorer"
    doesn't mean much considering he only scored 20 goals in all competitions over the 2 years playing up front for the strongest team in the league. Compare this with the actual league top scorer last year, Cavani, who scored 38 goals in all competitions last season alone.

He continually played because he scored more goals than the other players when he played. If he wasn't up to standard the other players like Quagliarella and Vucinic were not up to standard because he did better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭CSF

but1er wrote: »
    NANI!!!
    Please stop this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

764dak wrote: »
    He continually played because he scored more goals than the other players when he played. If he wasn't up to standard the other players like Quagliarella and Vucinic were not up to standard because he did better than them.

I agree that Quagliarella was/is not up to the standard either, Vucinic is a totally different type of player.

Matri wasn't good enough to warrant near as much playing time for Juventus as he received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not a major club, but Phil Bardsley for Sunderland. It is staggering the amount of appearances he has made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Surprisingly hard to think of somebody without coming across as delusional, so I'm going to say Steve Sidwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Laurent Robert was ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

What part of "for Spurs" were you unable to read?

so if someone is fantastic for years and then is poor for a couple of months in a new team...they are the most awful player ever?

there will be some list if that is the criteria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rory Delap, a consistent starter for Stoke for about 4 years in the PL, apart from his throw ins he was an incredibly average player.

+1 I've seen him a few times at Old Trafford and completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Paully D wrote: »
    Not a major club, but Phil Bardsley for Sunderland. It is staggering the amount of appearances he has made.

What you smokin? He's bangin them in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

jimjamcos wrote: »
    What you smokin? He's bangin them in!
    Aye, at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

BNMC wrote: »
    Aye, at both ends.

He's versatile.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Michael Dawson for me is a really mediocre defender, slow, not assured on the ball, prone to howlers. Starts every game for Spurs.

Sergio Ramos has far too many mistakes in him to be playing for a truly top team like Real Madrid.

With his seventeen red cards he has to be the most ill-disciplined player at a major club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Titus Bramble

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

to hear that sergio ramos has won the best defender in Spain for 2 years in a row is a disgrace to the art of defending. Doesn't have the class of a top class defender as his reading of the game is atrocious - i great defender should only have to tackle as a last resort but this guy is brainless hence his disciplinary record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

to hear that sergio ramos has won the best defender in Spain for 2 years in a row is a disgrace to the art of defending. Doesn't have the class of a top class defender as his reading of the game is atrocious - i great defender should only have to tackle as a last resort but this guy is brainless hence his disciplinary record.

Really? I'd be of the opinion that Ramos is one of the best defenders in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I agree with the above on Ramos. Sure, he's got discipline problems but he's also consistently excelled for both Madrid and Spain. You may not like him, you may not rate him as a great player but to consider him the "worst player" when Titus Bramble has just been mentioned seems strange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Almunia has got to be up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Nearly every Liverpool signing in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

While his clubs were only major in a Irish sense Glen Fitzpatrick was embarrassingly bad aside from a few important European goals with Shells he was awful for Pats and Drogs for a number of years but still consistently played. As far as I recall he once went about 30 games (with far to many starts) without scoring.

While consistently might be stretching it I remember Ibrahim Ba being a terrible headless chicken at milan, but somehow after spending a few seasons on loan/on the bench after he was marginalized getting released and spending the next 3 or 4 years doing nothing of any note as a footballer he got a contract with Milan after they won the CL the only logical explanation being felt sorry for giving this guy the impression he was a top flight footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Nearly every Liverpool signing in the last 10 years.

Alonso
    Mascherano
    Kuyt
    Torres
    Suarez
    Bellamy
    Reina
    Arbeloa
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Agger
    Skrtle
    Coutinho
    Sturrigde
    Lucas
    Mignolet

Must try harder ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Faubert at Real Madrid, I know I know he may not have been a consistent presence but the whole thing was laughable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

keane2097 wrote: »
    Laurent Robert was ****.

I assume you're not talking about Laurent Robert, the former Newcastle man?..

I've always questioned what exactly Gareth Barry offered to sides when playing for them besides being a liability up against quicker opposition. Have to say he impressed me the last time I watched him (for Everton against Chelsea at start of the season) but it doesn't change my opinion - shocking player in the last 5 years who shown up in the 2010 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Were pique or alves mentioned yet? Pique is a comedy at times and alves plays like a bulldog, all pace and power but absolutely no brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reekwind wrote: »
    but he's also consistently excelled for both Madrid and Spain.
    I suggest you watch him play in the knock out stages of the Champions League. He doesn't excel at all at this level - if anything, he is utterly brain-dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Marcus Bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The thing with Mikel is he tries to get out of dodgy positions alot but hes been left embarrased a few times, I remember he tried it against Liverpool at the Bridge 2 seasons ago and they took the ball off him at the edge of the box and passed it into the net, it was terrible.

Mikel is a mediocre player, not a bad one, certainly no worse than Michael Essien at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Never rated Guti or Saldago in the Galacticos team. O'Shea, Silvestre and Brown hung around at United for long enough too

With the exception of Zidane, Guti was arguably the most gifted player in that team. On his day, he was a genius. The problem was that he alone probably kept many of Madrid's nightclubs in business. Classic example of a wasted talent, though he would definitely tell you that he regrets nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Were pique or alves mentioned yet? Pique is a comedy at times and alves plays like a bulldog, all pace and power but absolutely no brain.

Is Pique really bad enough to be in contention for this?...always thought a lot of the stick he got on here was from United fans put out about him going back to Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I feel for him because of the injuries he has had but I can't understand how Anderson is still at Utd. He showed promise but repeatedly failed to progress beyond anything more than an average midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pique, pace? He's quite slow and I think he's fairly soft in comparison to a lot of CBs these days.

Was very good between 09-11 but has declined sharply since. How he keeps winning various individual awards is a mystery.

Wouldn't have him in this thread though, belongs in the 'overrated players' one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Some strange picks in this thread. Guti??? Really??? He was an amazing player.

My vote is for Poulsen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Blatter wrote: »
    Pique, pace? He's quite slow and I think he's fairly soft in comparison to a lot of CBs these days.

Was very good between 09-11 but has declined sharply since. How he keeps winning various individual awards is a mystery.

Wouldn't have him in this thread though, belongs in the 'overrated players' one.
    I was referring to alves for pace. Read it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

carlop wrote: »
    With the exception of Zidane, Guti was arguably the most gifted player in that team. On his day, he was a genius. The problem was that he alone probably kept many of Madrid's nightclubs in business. Classic example of a wasted talent, though he would definitely tell you that he regrets nothing.

Piece on Guti. http://footballnostalgia.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/guti-the-forgotten-madrid-legend/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

carlop wrote: »

Guti came up with the odd moment of brilliance, but he was frequently average. Not at the same level as legends like Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul, etc. He was surplus to requirements for a long time too after Madrid started splashing the cash again. Sort of similar to Recoba at Inter Milan, a talented player who never lived up to his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Raul Bravo at Madrid and Rocque Junior at Milan probably deserve a mention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

brevity wrote: »
    My vote is for Poulsen.

In fairness to Poulsen he was very important to Sevilla under Juande Ramos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Arshavin lazy Rusky boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Doocey wrote: »
    I assume you're not talking about Laurent Robert, the former Newcastle man?..

An excellent player, stupid by someone to even mention him in this thread.
    I've always questioned what exactly Gareth Barry offered to sides when playing for them besides being a liability up against quicker opposition. Have to say he impressed me the last time I watched him (for Everton against Chelsea at start of the season) but it doesn't change my opinion - shocking player in the last 5 years who shown up in the 2010 World Cup.

Sorry but that's nonsense, City wouldn't have won the league without him and he was a vital player for a few seasons. Knows his abilities and weaknesses, does nothing stupid, and he proving his worth to Everton now too. An extremely underrated player by those who never watched him week in, week out.

I'd go so far as to say he was one of our most important signings of the last five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Guti came up with the odd moment of brilliance, but he was frequently average. Not at the same level as legends like Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Raul, etc. He was surplus to requirements for a long time too after Madrid started splashing the cash again. Sort of similar to Recoba at Inter Milan, a talented player who never lived up to his potential.

Fair enough, but he certainly wasn't one of the worst players to consistently start for a major club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sorry but that's nonsense, City wouldn't have won the league without him and he was a vital player for a few seasons. Knows his abilities and weaknesses, does nothing stupid, and he proving his worth to Everton now too. An extremely underrated player by those who never watched him week in, week out.

I'd go so far as to say he was one of our most important signings of the last five years.

Barry is one of the most underrated players around IMO.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

good shout for Dirk Kuyt imo. terrible touch on him and so sloppy in his passing. probably not the worst but he certainly sticks out in my mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

BMMachine wrote: »
    good shout for Dirk Kuyt imo. terrible touch on him and so sloppy in his passing. probably not the worst but he certainly sticks out in my mind

Hw was a man for the big occasions though, he scored some really important goals. Actually i think he was really underappreciated for the work he did at liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Paully D wrote: »
    Barry is one of the most underrated players around IMO.

Really deserves an england recall imo, he like most defensive mids get feck all recognition by and large which is a shame.

Hes started and played world cup and champions league finals, scored 7 iirc in one champions league season and has over 70 goals for liverpool when he was a striker shoe horned into a winger whos work rate was exceptional. He was on the decline when he left but he was still a damn good player.

You couldn't be more wrong naming Kuyt tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Doesn't really fit the bill here but Ramirez has been shockingly bad anytime I've seen him lately,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

A lot of Liverpool fans will tell you that we sold him too soon. I know it was his decision to leave but we definitely could have used him in Rodgers first year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kuyt is still a regular starter for a star studded Dutch team, so he must be kinda good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement