Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has been the worst player to start consistantly for a major club?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Not a major club, but I'm still amazed Paul McShane is a professional footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

McShane has been playing well this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

McShane has been playing well this season

In all 3 and a half games he's played? I still blame him more than Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

John "ten feet tall" O'Shea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Javi Garcia, might not necessarily qualify as a consistent starter but he's painful.

Shocked Barry's even being mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Andy Carroll hes below average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I always thought Cisse (the one of the 1000 haricuts) was an awful footballer.

Basically fast and could hit the ball hard. No sense though.

Was very surprised he got as many games at liverpool as he did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

gosplan wrote: »

Looking at his stats, he did very well in France and Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I would have said Taraabt.

Awful attitude on that fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Pique, never rated him and seems he has finally been found out this year

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Vicxas wrote: »
    I would have said Taraabt.

Awful attitude on that fella

What big club has he consistently played for?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

people often dont remember that when kuyt was bad, he was very bad. he had a great record in big games and worked harder than anyone on the pitch but the amount of times he gave the ball away or misplaced a pass was far too much for someone supposedly that good. likeable but I always felt we could do better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Raf32 wrote: »

Gérard Pique, the world cup, European championship, multiple time la liga and champions league winning defender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

mikeym wrote: »
    Andy Carroll hes below average.

Oh my god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Djimi "I'm a champions league winner" Traore

Seriously how? Greatest o.g. ever

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »

I have a picture of Djimi in my room to remind me that when things are hopeless that things be turned around by being a total spoofer :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

gosplan wrote: »

Same rule can be applied to Gabby Agbonlahor, whther or not you consider Villa to be a major club though is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Same rule can be applied to Gabby Agbonlahor, whther or not you consider Villa to be a major club though is another thing.

Sounds a lot like Jermain Defoe as well. Hit the ball as hard as you can, sometimes it will go it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Danny Welbeck. 5 goals in a season and a half. Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck. 5 goals in a season and a half. Enough said.

Very rarely plays up front, but finishing his is a let down, he's quite a complete player otherwise and has time to his side to improve in front of goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gimli2112 wrote: »

Awful he was but this Ian Dowie one was better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Havent gone through every page but has Shola Ameobi been mentioned? It baffles me that he is still playing for Newcastle, he has a truly awful goals total in the PL, in 268 appearances he has 41 goals. His highest tally in one season was 9, since newcastle got promoted back to the PL he has made 87 appearances and scored 9 times, he started 40 of these games... prior to that his record in the PL is 190 appearances and 32 goals, he started in well over half of those games. His average per season in the PL is 21.3 appearances and 3.1 goals. Surprisingly, his assists tally is equally dismal.

I think the only reason he's still playing for them is that he's a local lad and has a good record scoring against Sunderland. His best season ever was in the championship, 10 goals in 18 games, which i think is his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Darren Ferguson (Sir Alex's son) started the first 15 games of the 1992/93 season. He didn't play for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

I had to laugh at the frankly STUPID people who put Berbatov or Soldado.

Here's a fun fact. He only started about 15 games for Manchester United but Jonathan Greening then spent another few years as a Premier League players for West Brom and Middlesborough.

Funest fact of all. He has a Champions League Winners Medal. Was on the bench in 99

Your an idiot. Im sorry Barca basically play 2-8, that is their formation. Pique and Mascherano(who is a small centre mid by the way, only about 5'9/10)then Alves and Alba as wingers with Iniesta/Busquets/Xavi in midfield and 3 forwards. Yet they have had so many clean sheets in the last few seasons, won 2 champions leagues, plenty of la liga's and cups. And you never rated him when he is basically the only actual defender in the team cause Puyol is always injured. And remember Alves was a winger for Seville and Alba was one 2

While I don't agree with the statement that pique is a poor player. Its been well documented that his form has dipped since he got with Shakira and he also needs Puyol beside him as he's not the quickest. Shouldn't be on this list anyway IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

beno619 wrote: »
    While I don't agree with the statement that pique is a poor player. Its been well documented that his form has dipped since he got with Shakira and he also needs Puyol beside him as he's not the quickest. Shouldn't be on this list anyway IMO.

Never rated Pique but if I had a choice between shagging Shakira and playing well then I'd happily play like Paul McShane for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Never rated Pique but if I had a choice between shagging Shakira and playing well then I'd happily play like Paul McShane for the rest of my life.
    Id even go the other way myself, take knocking boots and playing like a poor player, but I suppose Shakira could inspire me to play like a world beater so you may be right :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

stooge wrote: »
    - Milner (such an average boring player)

Watch the game tonight? If not then you should, and not just the goal.

BbJ2GpKCcAAhvLO.jpg

Tempted to put Boateng down after tonite. Not bad but fair average for a Bayern and German regular.
    I'll wait Constant will apparently start for Milan tomorrow....

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Tempted to put Boateng down after tonite. Not bad but fair average for a Bayern and German regular.
    I'll wait Constant will apparently start for Milan tomorrow....

As a Milan fan Im disgusted with myself for not remembering two players who must be in the top 10 of this list. Luca Antonini. Oh My God, chap shouldnt be allowed play football for a special needs team let alone have any championships and 81 appearances for Milan.

Second Jon Dahl Tomasson

JDT was grand for us, never a starter but got a few goals(compared to Ricardo Olivera or Vieri he was awesome). That goal vs Ajax in 2003 was huge aswell.
    Pancaro was awful for that 1 season at left back he tortured me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Swansea are not a major club, but how Ashley Williams gets games in crazy. Pure dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Not a regular really but how Anderson has lasted so long at utd is mind boggling

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Not a regular really but how Anderson has lasted so long at utd is mind boggling
    Signed a four and a half year contract in 2010 when he was in decent form. Don't think other clubs have been too eager to snap him up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

An astonishing waste of money. But hey, he got the ball of Fabregas once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

keano_afc wrote: »
    An astonishing waste of money. But hey, he got the ball of Fabregas once.

He destroyed Fabregas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Jose Boswinga. His defending was breathtaking, in a bad way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Some of these suggestions are laughable.

Welbeck, for those who don't watch football, clearly has all the tools to be a very good player. He has excellent ball control but has zero end product. He's still extremely raw but he is talented.

As for those saying "Soldado for Spurs", Jesus Christ, let's judge players coming into a different league after 15 games, then. If we did that then players like Lewis Holtby wouldn't be anywhere near the Spurs team and we all know that he's a very good player. Drogba looked crap when he started out for Chelsea as well.

To the person who said Lucas. Get out.

Some absolutely baffling suggestions above. One that sticks out for me is Darren Bent. Constantly moving for big money despite being extremely limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never got the dislike for Dirk Kuyt.

Always thought he was underrated. Got vital goals.

Anyone remember Aronica for Napoli?
    One of them players that when a punter says they'd do better they would probably be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone remember Aronica for Napoli?
    One of them players that when a punter says they'd do better they would probably be correct.

Yup, he was utter ****e. And a dirty bugger to boot.

Few more Serie A names:

Krasic - ****e
    Melo - One good season at Fiorentina, flopped at Juve.
    Amauri - Nothing needs to be said here.
    Maxi Lopez - Player for both Barca and Milan. Mind boggles.
    Juan Vargas - Showed potential a while back but his career has gone down the tubes, while Cuadrado slowly becomes one of the most exciting wingers in Europe.
    De Sanctis - Dreadful keeper. Amazing Napoli kept him for as long as they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

andyman wrote: »

Welbeck, for those who don't watch football, clearly has all the tools to be a very good player. He has excellent ball control but has zero end product. He's still extremely raw but he is talented.

As for those saying "Soldado for Spurs", Jesus Christ, let's judge players coming into a different league after 15 games, then. If we did that then players like Lewis Holtby wouldn't be anywhere near the Spurs team and we all know that he's a very good player. Drogba looked crap when he started out for Chelsea as well.

Some absolutely baffling suggestions above. One that sticks out for me is Darren Bent. Constantly moving for big money despite being extremely limited.

You say baffling but then you go on to name a player who has scored over 150 goals in English football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

andyman wrote: »

Good post but...

Bent is severely limited but you can't take away his goal scoring record which is excellent. He offers little except goals but the fact he pretty much guarantees goals means he has no place in this thread.

Great first season ,slightly disappointing second and has had injury problems since, has bags of ability though except he can't shot for sh**.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A lot of suggestions made in this thread, but to be honest I still haven't seen anybody worse than Valencia mentioned. Some crap players all right, but most of the names mentioned were eventually marginalised and then sold onto another sucker, whereas after two years of utter ****e Valencia still features almost every game for Manchester United.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

A lot of suggestions made in this thread, but to be honest I still haven't seen anybody worse than Valencia mentioned. Some crap players all right, but most of the names mentioned were eventually marginalised and then sold onto another sucker, whereas after two years of utter ****e Valencia still features almost every game for Manchester United.

Yeah, but like almost all of the players listed here, Valencia used to be really good before going through a bad patch. He was listed in the PFA team of the year in 2009/10, and he received the Manchester United fans' and players' player of the year award in 2011/12. Hardly the worst player to start consistently for a major club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Don't know if he's been mentioned but Roque Junior was absolutely poison for Leeds United in 03-04.

It's hard elsewhere to find a World Cup winning centre back lasting only 7 appearances in a team, and that team shipping 24 goals in those 7 appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

Were pique or alves mentioned yet? Pique is a comedy at times.

Thank you very much, I'll be here all week.:D

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Really? I'd be of the opinion that Ramos is one of the best defenders in the world.

ughs r crazy. One of the best central defenders in the world. Today is his 18 sending off. How does that compare to the greats??

• Advertisement
Advertisement