Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has been the worst player to start consistantly for a major club?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

It's each to their own, obviously, but I never got the whole Gareth Barry love-in.

Just me then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Still Olivier Giroud..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

BNMC wrote: »
    Still Olivier Giroud..

Still wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Doocey wrote: »
    It's each to their own, obviously, but I never got the whole Gareth Barry love-in.

Just me then :pac:

Tidy player, MNF showed how effective he is recently for Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Mikel is very average, and I don't think he is one of those players like Gareth Barry who is under appreciated, I think he just offers very little to the team.

Not a great defensive presence, no attacking threat, no use at set pieces.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Tidy player, MNF showed how effective he is recently for Everton

Selective video analysis can make anyone look like a world-beater, but true, he has been pretty solid for Everton in the system they play.

Just never understood how he featured so much for England, wouldn't have been in my squad.

Corvo wrote: »
    Mikel is very average, and I don't think he is one of those players like Gareth Barry who is under appreciated, I think he just offers very little to the team.

Not a great defensive presence, no attacking threat, no use at set pieces.

Funnily enough, if you ever watch him play for Nigeria - he's a different player altogether, plays as almost a second forward.
    Some of his performances in the Confederations Cup were great, his goal against Uruguay topped it off too.

Of course there's no room for him in the attacking role at Chelsea! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Resurrecting this thread with an update on perhaps the worst player ever to start consistently for a major club.

Since the thread was first created Antonio Valencia has continued to be the ultimate example of a player who has been utterly useless yet has continued to be selected. This season he has been selected to start in 18 premier league games for Manchester United, and has featured in 5 others. That means just four league games all season that David Moyes has not selected Antonio Valencia.

In return he has contributed the stupendous figure of 2 goals and 2 assists.

Its quite an achievement to only have 2 assists at Manchester United when the guy finishing the moves is Robin Van Persie but somehow Valencia managed it. And the two goals have a combined distance from goal of about four yards. (Tap-ins in other words).

In United's biggest game of the season so far against Olympiacos David Moyes yet again went for Valencia ahead of players like Kagawa or Januzaj. United of course had one of the worst performances ever seen from a major club and Moyes job is now under intense scrutiny.

There were some very good names put forward, but its clear that Antonio Valencia has become the worst player ever to consistently start for a major club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Tom Cleverley. End of debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tom Cleverley.

The man who thinks passing the ball sideways gets a applause in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Has to be Tom Cleverley. Useless.
    Valencia was very good at one point but injuries have ruined him. Should be nowhere near a PL XI anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cleverley has done nothing in the time since this thread was created to doubt his inclusion. A complete waste of space, how he gets a game for England baffles me. Actually, it doesnt. Its because he plays for Manchester United.

Loved this quote from Hodgson
    I suppose you could say Tom Cleverley is an attacking midfield player - but he's an attacking midfield player in the same way Cesc Fabregas is,' said Hodgson.

This is Tom "One goal and zero assists this season" Cleverley he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

He was being hailed by the Guardian a year ago as England's answer to Xavi. Jaysus.

Not saying this will happen because Cleverly is rubbish but a while back would people have been saying Ramsey? Just a lot of things can change in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I seen Cleverly at Wigan a few times and thought he looked great, no idea what happened to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Raf32 wrote: »
    Not saying this will happen because Cleverly is rubbish but a while back would people have been saying Ramsey? Just a lot of things can change in football.

I think maybe the difference was Ramsey was 20/21 and being played on the wing when he was subject to such criticism. Cleverley is 24 now and playing in his preferred position, he should be hitting his peak. Stranger things have happened though I suppose.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    I think maybe the difference was Ramsey was 20/21 and being played on the wing when he was subject to such criticism. Cleverley is 24 now and playing in his preferred position, he should be hitting his peak. Stranger things have happened though I suppose.

Agreed and Ramseys injury set him back, im not saying Cleverly will come good, actually never thought he had any ability, just weird how things can change haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Been 18 pages without mention of some Celtic players.

The Caldwell and McManus central defense was an absolute joke, both of them masquerading as footballers for quite some time now, how Caldwell went on to play a few seasons in the EPL is beyond me...

Kenny Miller - Never hit scoring form and his career and previous scoring form had basically shown this but he was a starting striker for atleast a season then he found his scoring form when he rejoined Rangers.

Also a United Player - Liam Miller :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Kuyt suggestion is an absolute joke.

Vital player for Rafa's Liverpool.

Hell even in his last and worst season he bagged a Hat-Trick against utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Martin Skrtel.

Dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

PomBear wrote: »
    Been 18 pages without mention of some Celtic players.

The Caldwell and McManus central defense was an absolute joke, both of them masquerading as footballers for quite some time now, how Caldwell went on to play a few seasons in the EPL is beyond me...

Kenny Miller - Never hit scoring form and his career and previous scoring form had basically shown this but he was a starting striker for atleast a season then he found his scoring form when he rejoined Rangers.

Also a United Player - Liam Miller :D

Good shout on Caldwell.
    He was like a magnet for own goals, red cards and just general f**k ups.

I don't know how Steven Naismith still gets a game for Everton. Ok, he's done alright recently on the goals front but the amount of games that just completely pass him by...
    He looks to have a complete lack of football intelligence and awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Martin Skrtel.

Dirt.

To include a player you really should state a reason why they are a bad player .
    Cleverly is a proper exam of a bad player . He doesn't do a whole lot and games pass him by .

To include a player you really should state a reason why they are a bad player .
    Cleverly is a proper exam of a bad player . He doesn't do a whole lot and games pass him by .

Looks like a one word reason to me :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

noodler wrote: »
    The Kuyt suggestion is an absolute joke.

Vital player for Rafa's Liverpool.

Hell even in his last and worst season he bagged a Hat-Trick against utd.

That wasn't his last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Carrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Carrick

Hard to argue with this. Only thing he can do is pass the ball when no one is near him. Shocking central midfielder.

fozz10 wrote: »
    Hard to argue with this. Only thing he can do is pass the ball when no one is near him. Shocking central midfielder.

Ah but he's not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

Ah but he's not though.
    he is rubbish and has been his whole career. get real. u couldnt even compare him to the good never mind top level midfielders in europe. so what. he had an ok season last year but hes been really bad for the last 5/6 seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Martin Skrtel.

Dirt.

Probably one of the most inconsistent players to play for a major club but thats for another thread.

he is rubbish and has been his whole career. get real. u couldnt even compare him to the good never mind top level midfielders in europe. so wha. he had an ok season last year but hes been really bad for the last 5/6 seasons

You're entitled to your opinion but he is certainly not rubbish and doesn't belong anywhere near this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

he is rubbish and has been his whole career. get real. u couldnt even compare him to the good never mind top level midfielders in europe. so what. he had an ok season last year but hes been really bad for the last 5/6 seasons

That's being incredibly harsh yea hes not one the top players but he not as bad as your making him out to be nor does he belong in this thread.

Carrick is in the same midfield as Cleverley and Valencia, ergo he cannot be the worst player to start consistently for a major club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Bonera has been starting a lot for Milan lately. God he is shyte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

GTR63 wrote: »
    Bonera has been starting a lot for Milan lately. God he is shyte!

Take that back, Robbie Fowler is one of Liverpool's greatest strikers ever.

Advertisement