Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog eats apples, is this ok?

• 05-12-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

We adopted a little mixed terrier type dog from a family member this year. She is about 6. She was pretty neglected and normally just fed on kitchen scraps. she is thriving now of proper food, but still loves scraps.
    I have noticed her eating apples this week, properly crunching them up and eating them. is this ok for her?
    With young children who are fruit mad there is often apples left lying around so i am not feeding them to her, just to be clear.

on a minor note she also loves rice and curry and goes crazy for spaghetti bolognaise (rarely gets any as the kids gobble it up), how do them feature in the healthy dog food scale?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Apples are fine but just avoid the core as it may potentially cause a blockage, and the pips can also be harmful. Maybe slice some apple up to use as treats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

does he get the scutters much?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My springer Jake pulls apples off the lower branches of the apple trees and then holds them between his paws and eats it like a person would! He's 12 next year & seems to be ok :) he loves spaghetti Bol too always has a red mark around his mouth after eating it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Apples are grand, as with everything, in moderation. The fruits to be very careful of are grapes and raisins (also kids favourites) which are poisonous to dogs.

As for regular food, I would imagine that it would be a mild enough curry for your kids, but even still, something with curry paste or chilli would be irritating to the dogs gut. My pair love spag bol but I try and just give them either the meat sauce or mix with rice or potato or even use gluten free pasta as regular pasta (gluten) can again be something that dogs are intolerant to. In saying that, if there's a little bit of leftovers they'll get it, but if I was making the dogs a meal with pasta, I'll use gluten free stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

In fairness, if the dog is now 12, I'd imagine the spag bol has been up to standard - gluten free pasta or not. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    My springer Jake pulls apples off the lower branches of the apple trees and then holds them between his paws and eats it like a person would!

Sorry to go off topic, but there are times when somebody posts something their pet does that's so damn funny, that I MUST see a video of it!
    This is one of them!
    Please sparkle_23? Pleeeeeease? :-D
    I know I'll have to wait for next year's apple crop, but I'm patient... I can wait :-)

Op, as BLM said, apples are grand in moderation. Vegetables to be a bit careful of include onions and garlic. I'd be inclined to pick as much onion out of the spag bol as I could, and keep the garlic levels low, though I include a clove of garlic in my dogs' chicken stew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

In fairness, if the dog is now 12, I'd imagine the spag bol has been up to standard - gluten free pasta or not. :)

Do you know much about the digestive system of a dog?

A lot of dogs are intolerant to wheat/gluten, just like humans can get food intolerances that break us out in hives, or make us feel sluggish etc. But dogs can't tell us, and will happily keep eating away with the humans thinking it's ok. It's only when the dog starts to get sick that the humans have an inclination something might be wrong.

Unfortunately, a lot of dried dog foods are packed full of wheat/gluten and even though the pack tells you it's 'complete' and 'nutritious'. Pet food companies are fantastic at marketing their products and pet owners should be far more aware of what they are feeding their pets and whether or not it's good for them long term. Even still, a lot of pet owners will watch their dog produce sloppy loose poos everyday and think it's ok because the dog 'always' has loose stools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

thanks guys. was just surprised to see her gobbling up apples as much as the kids.
    the only thing i have seen her not eat is the peppers in the spag-bol and dog treats, she hates them.
    trying to get the kids to not feed her from the table is a challenge por girl ends up spending dinnertime outside as the 2yr old likes to coat his fingers in stuff for her to lick off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My Lab gets apples, strawberries, tomatoes, bananas, carrots, green beans etc etc along with her dry food. We have been feeding her fruit and veg since she was a pup as I have done with all of my dogs as they are low calorie foods and are good for the dog in moderation.

My dogs have always loved them and never had any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldn't allow her to have them whole but other than that it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Just don't let her eat the pips, because then a little apple tree will grow in her tummy (((nods sagely)))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The only thing my Black and Tan Jack Russell loves more than fish is water Mellon. She just won't leave me aloe when I have it, sits there crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

My understanding is that the apple is fine but the seed if the apple should not be consumed by the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

DBB wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic, but there are times when somebody posts something their pet does that's so damn funny, that I MUST see a video of it!
    This is one of them!
    Please sparkle_23? Pleeeeeease? :-D
    I know I'll have to wait for next year's apple crop, but I'm patient... I can wait :-)

That can be organised! I'll hopefully be takin a trip home next year I'll just sit by the apple tree for hours til he does it! Or I'll get my sister on the case.. I have her an iPhone.. She owes me!!

Advertisement