Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do most homeowners keep copies of titles/deeds?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Since reading the recent publicity about forged titles and deeds by unscrupulous solicitors, it has got me wondering about my own house deeds/titles. They are with the solicitor I engaged with to handle my house purchase almost 10 years ago. I haven't spoken with him since as there thankfully has been no reason to. I'm just wondering is it good practice for home owners to keep a copy themselves?

Another friend of mine who was selling his house recently was informed the prior owners name was still on the deeds 3 years after he purchased it and thus complicated his subsequent sale. I'm not doubting my solicitor for a second but should I go and request a copy (I'm hoping he is still in business!!) and is it considered a routine request to do so? Do most of you who are homeowners keep a copy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

My parents have the deeds to their house, my dad doesn't trust solicitors so he kept them himself. I am unsure however if he just has a copy or the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I keep ours in a fireproof box stashed away safe :) Originally when I went to collect the deeds I though it would be just a couple of pages, but due to varying issues (which I won't go into here) I got a huge amount of documentation - including the death certs of the previous owners...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Generally if the property is mortgaged the lender will hold the deeds for safekeeping in their vault somewhere. In days past lenders would allow you to leave the deeds with them in their safekeeping even after the mortgage was cleared until you wanted to sell or you died or whatever. Nowadays lenders are generally reluctant to offer this formerly free service and people have to either pay for a safe deposit box or store them themselves somewhere.

With registry of deeds stuff (where you keep the heap of deeds going back as far as you can) you really need that to be safe as reconstructing it can be a nightmare. With Land Registry stuff it's not so bad as they record the present owner in their system.

Advertisement