Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child care

Options
  • 05-12-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I have worked in child care before and it's something I want to now start my career in.

The problem is I'm currently working in a job which is giving me no flexibility to go to college part time, or even do a distance course as the hours are demanding.

I would like to be a Montessori teacher eventually but for now I'd like to start by just getting my minimum qualification to work in a crèche, and take it from there.

Can anyone recommend a quality and quick course which I can do to get started?
    Or even the best path to take.

Thanks in advance

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Mininum you will need is a FETAC level 5. There are a few places that do this one/two evenings a week over around six-nine months.

Depending on the amount of prior experience you have, you might be able to skip certain modules. Check Qualifax for a list of courses.

When I was training I did Dorset College's childcare course, not because of the college per se - although it was grand - but because it was the most reasonably priced for a short time from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Morgan21

Hi! Thanks for the reply :) for me it's just about getting the piece of paper, I have all of the course information already due to having family members who work in childcare. When you did the course in Dorset was it also over 6-9 months.

Thanks!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

It was.... I think six months. Could have been nine.

You can start working while you're studying - I started studying in October and was working in January.

Advertisement