Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best, Safest place to live near Dub Airport

Options
  • 05-12-2013 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi guys relocating from UK and just wondering what is best safest place to live close and easy access to dublin airport many thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got kids? I ask, as kids mean you'll be better off nearer a populated area that has a school, etc.

Maybe check out Blanchardstown or Swords? Both have their good and bad areas, but at the same time are meant to be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Drogheda and Dundalk two great towns, 30min's to 45min's(consecutively) by motorway to Airport door. Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Best and safest places near airport are Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton or Howth (slightly further away)

They're all within 15 min drive.

Being the best and safest they're also more expensive than any of the places mentioned above.

Not clear if you need public transport access which would influence the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

Malahide....close, nice bars, nice restaurants, there is a beach, nice places to walk, but all this wont come cheap.
    Otherwise swords.

ardle1 wrote: »
    Drogheda and Dundalk two great towns, 30min's to 45min's(consecutively) by motorway to Airport door. Good Luck.

Seriously?? I know it's fast on the motorway but Dundalk is nearly 60 miles away. I doubt the op is looking for a 120 mile commute every day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Swords is not bad, with new housing on the way there, as everyone has said, I went to school there myself.
    If rural living is more your thing then Rolestown, Ballyboughal or St Margarets.
    A little bit further is the lovely Rush which has a great vibe to it, an adjacent railway station, and much of the seafront charm of Malahide but without the price. This would be my first choice tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Having worked in swords and commutated from Blanchartown its very quick in the morning especially with the new junction on the N3 also no toll that side of the m50. The blanchardstown centre is the best in the country a lot more to offer than swords. 15 min drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Can't believe some of the answers, since when is Dundalk, Drogheda, Blanchardstown, Howth and Sutton close to the airport?! Have they moved? :D

All of the above have traffic commutes. By geography, Santry, Malahide and Swords are the nearest to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Driving from my house in Drogheda to the airport takes 25-30 mins.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Drumcondra and Glasnevin are also an option. There are some really nice parts although it is relatively expensive.

I don't know what your budget is but somewhere like Griffith Ave would give you classy looking leafy 1920s-30s suburbia easy access to the airport and proximity to the city centre too.

Swords is the obvious choice though.

I think you'd be mad opting for places like Dundalk, Drogheda etc they're very serious commutes and there's no train to the airport. you'd be faced with motorway driving every day. think of the petrol etc

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »

Doesn't matter it's 30 miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Best and safest places near airport are Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton or Howth (slightly further away)

They're all within 15 min drive.

Being the best and safest they're also more expensive than any of the places mentioned above.

Not clear if you need public transport access which would influence the decision.

All 15 min drive? you might want to check your travelling times and also what makes them the "best" and "safest"?? just because you want to believe they are the safest and best doesnt mean they are. Portmarnock beach is frequented by a lot of scumbags and the likes and just like every area in Dublin it has it's good and bad areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Doesn't matter it's 30 minutes away.

CPL 593H

Well nearer 20 miles and only takes between 20-25 mins at all times except peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A little bit further is the lovely Rush which has a great vibe to it, an adjacent railway station, and much of the seafront charm of Malahide but without the price. This would be my first choice tbh.

I have no idea what budgets etc would be like, but I agree; if I was looking to live close enough to the airport then Id be looking at somewhere out the Rush/Skerries direction. Just seems like a nice place to live! Would be a 20-30 minute drive in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

moxin wrote: »
    Can't believe some of the answers, since when is Dundalk, Drogheda, Blanchardstown, Howth and Sutton close to the airport?! Have they moved? :D

All of the above have traffic commutes. By geography, Santry, Malahide and Swords are the nearest to the airport.

I commute to work everyday to the Airport from Blanchardstown, the most it has ever taken me was 15 minutes, with no speeding may I add. I lived in Malahide 4 years ago and it used to take me 25 minutes somedays to get to work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ardle1 wrote: »
    He also said close.

maniac2000 wrote: »
    All 15 min drive? you might want to check your travelling times and also what makes them the "best" and "safest"?? just because you want to believe they are the safest and best doesnt mean they are. Portmarnock beach is frequented by a lot of scumbags and the likes and just like every area in Dublin it has it's good and bad areas.

No Howth would be more than 15 which I did say was ab it further. Malahide would be under 15.

The areas I listed are undoubtedly the best and safest areas near to the airport. Property and rent prices make it clear they are the most desirable areas in that part of Dublin. The beach isn't frequented by scumbags for the 360 days of the year when it's not hot. It's a bit like saying Killiney, Howth and Dalkey are dodgy because crowds travel in on hot days.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

Some pretty impractical answers above. Both Malahide and Santry are particularly popular among those with working in Dublin Airport, the former being more expensive for rentals but honestly a more pleasant spot to live.

If you want to drive a little (but not much) further, I'd go with the suggestion below of Upper Drumcondra / Griffith Avenue. Safe area, plenty of amenities, and you're also not too far from Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This question is impossible to answer without a bit more info.

Best means very different things for people at different life stages and people with different life styles.
    What do you mean by best? Access to a gym, access to a park, schools, shops, pubs, restaurants, playgrounds?
    What are your priorities?

Near Dublin Airport?
    From your posting history it looks like you'll be working there, but for some people near is a five minute walk to work and for others near is a 30 minute drive. What sort of commute are you looking for? What's your limit? What really matters with near and Dublin airport though is whether or not you plan to own a car? There are many places 4 or 5 miles from Dublin airport that'd be a very difficult commute without a car (or maybe a bike).

Safest?
    Again do you mean safe for kids or safe for adults? I know they're similar, but are you looking for a place where kids can safely play on the streets or a place where you can stumble home from the pub and not worry too much.

There've been a few good recommendations, but they're good for different types of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

furiousox wrote: »
    Ah, yeah, and it would only cost about €50 to €60 per week in fuel as a daily commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

No Howth would be more than 15 which I did say was ab it further. Malahide would be under 15.

The areas I listed are undoubtedly the best and safest areas near to the airport. Property and rent prices make it clear they are the most desirable areas in that part of Dublin. The beach isn't frequented by scumbags for the 360 days of the year when it's not hot. It's a bit like saying Killiney, Howth and Dalkey are dodgy because crowds travel in on hot days.

They are all very nice areas of Dublin but just because house prices are higher than other locations doesn't mean it's the best or safest. I just think you were a bit too quick to dismiss other areas because the house prices are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

billie1b wrote: »
    I commute to work everyday to the Airport from Blanchardstown, the most it has ever taken me was 15 minutes, with no speeding may I add. I lived in Malahide 4 years ago and it used to take me 25 minutes somedays to get to work

That 15min has to be off peak. It takes at least 10min more in peak hour, plus petrol costs.

Also, you have to get out of Blanchardstown first. Unless you live off the Snugborough rd for that off-peak journey, you're screwed. For safety, Blanch has its dodgy areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

That 15min has to be off peak. It takes at least 10min more in peak hour, plus petrol costs.

Also, you have to get out of Blanchardstown first. Unless you live off the Snugborough rd for that off-peak journey, you're screwed. For safety, Blanch has its dodgy areas too.

Blanch has no more or no less desirable areas than any other area in the country of its size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Some pretty impractical answers above. Both Malahide and Santry are particularly popular among those with working in Dublin Airport, the former being more expensive for rentals but honestly a more pleasant spot to live.

If you want to drive a little (but not much) further, I'd go with the suggestion below of Upper Drumcondra / Griffith Avenue. Safe area, plenty of amenities, and you're also not too far from Dublin City Centre.

There are some really nice spots around there. It's one of the few areas of Dublin with exceptionally good planning. Griffith Avenue itself is a 4 or 5km long double-tree lined avenue with very attractive 1920s-30s houses on it and it has smaller roads and 'rises' off it with mixtures of different sizes of homes. All very planned and it has a lot of amenities like schools, shops, parks etc.

Drumcondra itself is in two halves. The upper half is quite upmarket and the lower half starts to merge into the city centre so you'd have to be a little more careful about exactly what you're looking at in the lower Drumcondra area. That being said, it has some stunning victorian era houses too.

Phibsboro is also a possibility if you're really keen on being in the city itself, but again, you'd want to pick you location carefully as it's literally in the North inner city but it has some very nice spots.
    Same with Cabra.

There are other areas around there too like parts of Kilester and Raheny that are very convenient and pretty middle-class and inner suburban.

I would give Coolock, Finglas and Ballymun a miss though.

Clontarf's also lovely but it can be extremely expensive.

Just be *VERY* aware of Dubliners' Northside vs Southside bias. Some people on the Southside of the city have really ridiculous stereotypes of the Northside.

Parts of the North Inner City are quite rough, but not all of it e.g. Stoneybatter's very much 'up and coming' and Phibsboro is quite nice too.
    Once you get beyond that you start to open out into much bigger suburban areas which are easier to classify as they tend to be just either quite middle-class or council estates.

The reality is that there's a mixture of areas on the Northside some of which are amongst the wealthiest and nicest parts of the city to live and some of which are amongst the worst. The same applies on the South-side So, take what you hear with a very large pinch of salt and ask around and visit places before settling on a location.

If you're moving here from the UK, Dublin's very much like any British city in so far as the areas change from good to bad quite quickly in the inner suburbs so you do need to actually know your way around before signing anything and definitely get some local advice.

Personally, access to the city's a big deal to me. But, if you're more interested in a nice suburban existence in somewhere like Swords you might find that ideal too.

Also beware that the city's very North-South divided by the river, so access to the airport from the Southside is quite difficult in heavy traffic and it's not connected by train. The port tunnel is also astronomical expensive (although it will get you to the airport in a few mins). It costs something like €10.00 to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op we need more info, is it just you coming over? do you intend on having a car? if single, is sharing an option etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭josip

Half the people I know who work in the airport live in Swords.
    For those who suggested Dundalk, is it safe now?
    It used to have a nickname of a Mexican border town when I used to be familar with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Personally I would have Malahide as first preference and Skerries as second preference if you want to stay in Fingal but there are loads of nice places to live if you're willing to drive around to the South side via the M50 motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Need lots more info:

Work, will you be working at the airport? Have car? Drive to work? Will you have parking? Don't mind long commuting? Good, great or entry level pay?

Mind living with aircraft noise?

Family, kids? age? school preferences? House/apt pref? Urban or leafy suburbs or more country?

Social, quiet/busy? City centre night clubs/local bar/extra curricular or sporting activities?

Like your views and walks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I live in Blanchardstown and can get there in 15 minutes - did this Tues peak time

Advertisement