Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights dimming in the evening low voltage ?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi all
    just had esb out to check voltage due to lights dimming in the evening
    very nice man who checked the voltage at the meter showed 229v and 219v with 3 kw kettle switched on cant remember what amps but said it was with in the norm but did mention that it was only 2.30 in the afternoon ,so he checked connections and all seemed well even went and checked connections at transformer for the estate (14, 3 bed bungaloes) noted that it was a 50kva
    so he said he will log a request for a meter to be fitted to record voltage for a few days.
    wondering now is 50kva large enough to feed 14 houses at peek times just thought id post to see what happens .
    any feed back would be appriciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

the voltage drop on the supply seems quite high there.. I wouldn't expect a 10 volt drop when switching on a kettle so there may be a problem

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

shagal wrote: »
    so he said he will log a request for a meter to be fitted to record voltage for a few days.

This is key as it will show up any issues.

It would be interesting to see what the volt drop is when a few people that are on the same phase switch on 8.5kW showers!

My advice is to sit back and see what they find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Transformer would probably want to be 3 or 4 times that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

2011 wrote: »
    This is key as it will show up any issues.

It would be interesting to see what the volt drop is when a few people that are on the same phase switch on 8.5kW showers!

My advice is to sit back and see what they find.

it was the shower that drew my attention to the problem serious dimming of lights which i wouldnt have noticed during the summer evenings but noticing now as the evenings are drawing in and lights are on earlier
    so as you say will just have to wait and see what happpens with the meter when it is fitted just hope it is left in long enough to get a good idea of what is going on though, he said three days but it seams a bit short to be worth while

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

shagal wrote: »
    just hope it is left in long enough to get a good idea of what is going on though, he said three days but it seams a bit short to be worth while

Some people might be tempted to ensure that there is an excessive volt drop recorded by asking neighbors to switch a little more on than normal while that equipment is in place ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 shagal

2011 wrote: »
    Some people might be tempted to ensure that there is an excessive volt drop recorded by asking neighbors to switch a little more on than normal while that equipment is in place ;)
    ohhh that would be naughty,but any way i dont know which houses are on the same phase as myself
    lol:rolleyes:

it's no harm to also eliminate any possible installation issues..usually at the DB(fusebox)

a registered contractor would check that

but it sounds like there may well be a supply issue ..you wouldn't expect more than a few volts of a drop usually when switching a kettle on if the testing is accurate

Bruthal wrote: »
    Transformer would probably want to be 3 or 4 times that size.

i don't think it would be 3-4 times 50kva

the total connected load is 14*12kva=168kva before diversity

i think diversity of 0.5-0.6 or so...higher for electric heated homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

i don't think it would be 3-4 times 50kva

the total connected load is 14*12kva=168kva before diversity

i think diversity of 0.5-0.6 or so...higher for electric heated homes

It was off top of head sort of post. 50 kva seems a bit on the small side for 14 houses. Sounds like there is another problem anyway.

Bruthal wrote: »
    It was off top of head sort of post. 50 kva seems a bit on the small side for 14 houses. Sounds like there is another problem anyway.

yes...i would say it is small

• Advertisement
Advertisement