Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer problem (needed for banking online)

• 05-12-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31

Howdy.

My dad uses Bank of Ireland's online banking system and, for whatever reason, the service is only accessible through 32-bit IE.

There used to be both 32-bit and 64-bit icons in the IE folder, but now there's just a single IE icon, and this isn't working at all. When he opens it it's just a blank white window, no homepage, nothing in the address bar, etc. It's not an internet connection problem, cause for everything else we use Firefox and there are no problems with that.

I went to the MS site and downloaded the 32-bit IE 9 for Windows 7. When I try to execute this I get an error message saying it "is not a valid Win32 application".

I tried uninstalling IE so that I could maybe reinstall it, but it's not showing up in the programs list, and I tried just deleting the program folder but I "need permission from TrustedInstaller" to do that.

I'm going to try a system restore tomorrow, but he really needs banking online for his business, so if I can't find a more elgant solution it'll be a full Windows reinstallation.

At a loss here.

Halp?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Are you sure that BoI online banking only uses IE?
    I have used it both in Chrome and Firefox with no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wet_dog

Sorry, I don't mean Banking365, I mean Business Online. Just checked in the 'technical specs' section there, and it says "using any web browser other than Internet Explorer" will stop it working.

Sorry thought it was the banking 365 site.
    In programs see what version of java is installed.
    If it is Java 7 version 45 it is the most up to date, if not uninstall the old version and download the latest from here

The business online version works ok on my pc using IE 11 and it is 64bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 wet_dog

Yeah, we have the latest Java.

It's more a question of IE not working. When I open IE this is what I see. Typing in a URL has no effect. And then when I tried uninstalling/reinstalling IE I had the issues I mentioned before: IE not showing up on the installed programs list, and getting an incompatibility message when I try to reinstall.

Exasperating!

Try to see if this helps.

Also download ccleaner run the cleaner and also run the registry cleaner.
    Try and reinstall IE then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement