Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Botox gone bad.

• 05-12-2013 2:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking through a very well known irish bloggers Facebook there, where she posted up a photo of the outfit she wore this evening and oh god, her face looks completely frozen and terrible. Her eyebrows are like triangles on her face.

I am all for a woman's choice to do whatever they like with their body and face so I guess if she is happy then isn't that the main thing?

I would just be concerned that a lot of younger girls seem to idolise her and is it setting a bad example?

Anyway, leaving that girl aside.

What's your experience with Botox? I am 25 and would be very interested in having it done at some point. What age is the most common age to get the first session of it? How can you prevent having so much that you end up looking like the wind changed? Would you ever consider it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Show us a pic :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

mauzo! wrote: »
    Show us a pic :P

Naww that's not very nice, she's a lovely looking woman just got a shock yesterday when I saw her photos it just looked so noticeable and it shouldn't cause you'd never look at her before and think she'd need it.

Just kind of made me wonder about other women's attitude towards Botox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Naww that's not very nice, she's a lovely looking woman just got a shock yesterday when I saw her photos it just looked so noticeable and it shouldn't cause you'd never look at her before and think she'd need it.

Just kind of made me wonder about other women's attitude towards Botox

I actually think she looks great :o she shouldnt get any more, but I think she looks amazing.

mauzo! wrote: »
    I actually think she looks great :o she shouldnt get any more, but I think she looks amazing.

She does look great, but i think she looked much better/healthier a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

If it's the blogger I'm thinking of, I hadn't noticed any obvious Botox when I first saw the photos but now that you've mentioned it, I can see how she might have had it done. She doesn't look bad as such, but I'd agree that she shouldn't go any further with it. She's a gorgeous woman, she doesn't need it.

Personally I'd hope that when I'm older I won't bother with Botox. I'm 22 but I've already got fine lines under my eyes. But I think they add to my face, rather than take away from it. The odd bit here or there isn't so bad, but I think that anyone who reckons they can look 25 when they're 40 is kidding themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I know guy who got botox, 4 chemical peels and, a nose job.

He messed himself up in a bad way the poor guy looks horrendous, very waxy looking. ..and needs to wear constant high factor sun cream all year round. ..
    His nose runs uncontrollably. ...

You can't beat natural beauty. ...

Ilyana it's weird that you say that, in that it adds to your features instead of taking away. I would be very vain but completely agree, it adds a little character to a person. I know when i was 19 years old I noticed I had serious lines on my forehead. I was very insecure.

I was in a beauty salon one day and the girl was doing my eyebrows when i just asked if she would recommend anything for them. She looked at them and knew how much I was bothered by them, tried to tell me they were so awful the only thing for them was a course of 3 chemical peels. :( only for my boyfriend was waiting in reception for me, I would have probably signed up for the peels there and then.

Now 6 years later, I don't really have many more lines to be honest. I look pretty much the same age now as I did then, and even some people tell me I look a lot older in my age card photo than I do in real life.

I mind my skin, and I try not frown or squint too much, and I'm not completely opposed to getting Botox but when I do, it'll be so as I can look my age rather than be a perpetual 20 something year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Is this The Makeup Fairy?

No, a fashion blogger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

I've heard on tv programs that alot of girls start 'preventative Botox' in their late 20's. Personally for me I won't consider it until I need it (hopefully my early to mid 30's). If I felt I needed a little bit here or there I'd have no problem doing it. Although I wouldn't be telling anyone, seems to be 'you remember meeting *Sue... The one with all the Botox!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'm in my early thirties and don't really have a lot of wrinkles yet. Botox really isn't something I'd ever consider to be honest. Having poison injected in my face just doesn't sound like a good idea! I guess there may be a lot of people out there that got it done and you'd never notice it, but there are also lots of people where you notice it right away, and it's not a good look at all imo. I'd rather have a few wrinkles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I'm close to mid thirties and I want Botox on my forehead. I've had deep frown lines on forehead since about 20 years of age, no joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm close to mid thirties and I want Botox on my forehead. I've had deep frown lines on forehead since about 20 years of age, no joke.

Me too, I'd consider it but I'd be afraid I'd get carried away.

Am intrigued as to who this aspirational young blogger is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I wish someone would just say who it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This thread is so annoying! Who is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

[snip] If it's the same picture I saw, she does not look the same as when she first started blogging.

Personally I have no problem with Botox. I do a lot of outdoor sports in all weathers and have a tendency to register my stress on my face, so I may need it when I'm older for my poor haggard face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'm 28 and really don't think I'd consider it, I have enough to be worrying about without topping up the botox injections to get rid of a few perfectly normal wrinkles on my forehead.

Personally I think I look a hell of a lot better at 28 than I did five or even ten years ago. I take way better care of my skin, drink cartloads of water, have educated myself about which makeup works and doesn't work, and I love the fact that I look older and more womanly now, I think it's a lot sexier than the cherubic faced baby-skinned child I was back then - give or take the odd little wrinkle here and there.

Didn't think I was allowed mention the blogger by name which is why I was vague in the opening post as it was supposed to be about Botox in general [snip]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've snipped the blog name from a couple of posts. Let's keep this thread about Botox experiences rather than analysing one person's appearance. (Particularly since she hasn't posted here looking for opinions on her face.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I couldn't even navigate the site that was suggested so I'm still none the wiser! :)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that botox is bad full stop, of course it has many legitimate medical uses and even for some "cosmetic" uses it serves well, to combat excessive sweating which I suppose is more medical use than cosmetic, or even in the face, but young people filling their already beautiful face to the point where they now just look "off" or "weird" is why people are wary of it now I suppose. I don't think I'd ever say never but I don't think I have a need for it yet, if I felt that it was something that would make me look like a better version of myself and boost my confidence then why not!

Could someone pm me the blogger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I bumped into a girl from school a couple of years ago who has had a lot of Botox and fillers done. She thinks she looks amazing compared to other women her age (40s). I just think she looks very generic and pillowy. Sure, she has unlined skin, but it just looks fake. And her neck and hands are not unlined so there is a bit of a juxtaposition of skin trying to look young against naturally aged skin.

She works in the cosmetic enhancement industry, and having seen her up close, I'd never ever touch anything like that. I'd much rather have my lines thanks!

I bumped into a girl from school a couple of years ago who has had a lot of Botox and fillers done. She thinks she looks amazing compared to other women her age (40s). I just think she looks very generic and pillowy. Sure, she has unlined skin, but it just looks fake. And her neck and hands are not unlined so there is a bit of a juxtaposition of skin trying to look young against naturally aged skin.

She works in the cosmetic enhancement industry, and having seen her up close, I'd never ever touch anything like that. I'd much rather have my lines thanks!

A woman in our job who I always considered very glamorous and attractive came up in conversation the other day with the girls and someone mentioned how much work she'd had done and everyone agreed it was too much except me who didn't even realise she had any work done, thought it was god given beauty, good genes and maybe a little makeup! When I said I think she looks great I was looked at like I had ten heads!

Tasden wrote: »
    A woman in our job who I always considered very glamorous and attractive came up in conversation the other day with the girls and someone mentioned how much work she'd had done and everyone agreed it was too much except me who didn't even realise she had any work done, thought it was god given beauty, good genes and maybe a little makeup! When I said I think she looks great I was looked at like I had ten heads!

You know, thinking about this, if I hadnt already known the girl from school and bumped into her over the years, it may not have been so apparent to me. But knowing what the person used to look like when her skin was actually naturally youthful compared to what she looks like now with "fake" youthful skin - its very obvious.

You know, thinking about this, if I hadnt already known the girl from school and bumped into her over the years, it may not have been so apparent to me. But knowing what the person used to look like when her skin was actually naturally youthful compared to what she looks like now with "fake" youthful skin - its very obvious.

That's a good point actually! Its like whenever you see those "has she had work done" features in magazines they always show you the before to compare because without knowing the before its obviously hard to tell unless its done to the extreme.

I said earlier I need Botox as my forehead lines are awful and very deep since about age 20, I'm 34 now so you can imagine how in 14 years they are even deeper. However I would be too afraid to have Botox because it's poison after all and what if it goes wrong and freezes the wrong part of my face, what if it makes me look worse than with the lines. I think it's very unattractive to carve yourself up in the quest for perfection, it's just fake so your not kidding anybody only yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

I was reading in a magazine about a couple on their wedding day who had botox done (both of them) anyway they ended up having to go to the A & E and looked like stroke victims.

Now i know they dont ALL end up like that,but i wouldnt get it done purely bc it doesnt look natural..

The only work i have ever got done was restyline in the ailesbury clinic in cork just on the outskirts of the city.

Saved up for a big shopping trip and me and a friend of ours and my mom decided to get it done!!!!

For us it was a bit of a splruge a one off thing,we agreed we wouldnt do it again as it was so expensive,these treatments will never go down in price or be cheaper not for the next ten years anyway,its not like they wil go down in price like the new ipad after xmas.

We looked good,bc it was restyaline and not botox,ive seen many girls in the beauty industry when i would book in for a massage and i would notice the ones who got the botox the forehead would just look supershiny pillowy and frozen,very strange look i think,wouldnt be for me..i would reccomend restyline though it was so natural and when i went back to work a girl even asked me,did i go on a holiday or have a good rest in a spa clinic?I obviously didnt tell her what i had done,bc it wasnt obvious,so it kept them guessing.In the end i said oh ya i went to a spa,and had a rehydrating face mask..Utter bs!But its nice to keep some things to yourself especially when the green eyed monster could be about!! :)

On the whole ageing experience,its a lot deeper than lines,i will worry if i get arthiritis or high blood pressure. Those are the things that would worry me,and will take action on these issues if they ever happen to me.

Obviously the few lines?Im not particluarly bothered,having said that im in my early thirties and have minimal lining ie barely there lines,not fine and deep yet..

And i have been mistaken (still) for a young thing when i buy drink!!!! At this stage i think its getting old now :eek:

I always bring my id wherever i go just in case,i come into difficulty,so its no bother now i just show them my id,and off i got buying some drink to wreck me face haha..

On the whole though i think healthy eating and minimal drinking will keep you young and healthy on the inside and out..

Lines are what will happen to you anyway,and you cannot beat gravity there will always be something that gives away your age,even if you get an old overhaul they can still tell your age..

There is no beating it - just accept the ageing process you cannot beat it!

Isn't restylane a filler of lines as opposed to botox which is a "relaxer" of lines? Like you treat "reactive" lines with botox and you treat lines stemmed from gravity/a loss of volume with restylane, so they're not kind of interchangeable as they treat different things? Although I don't know an awful lot about these procedures so I could be wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Yeah the doc said something along the lines of that too,so you are dead on the money there,i think restyline is for those gravitational loss of volume areas,he said i didnt have many and told me my the skin on my face was excpetional for my age anyway!!!
    He said i wouldnt even need botox on my forehead and it would be a waste of money,he was the most honest doc going,thats why i would go back there..
    It was a great clinic,i got laser done on my thread veins there and there nearly all gone now!!!Ill be able to wear no make up(but will have sunscreen) shortly!!!

But all i do really is wear sunscreen under my make up all year around,i make sure it has plenty of zinc oxide in the suncream otherwise i just refuse to buy it..

I just do what any other mortal would do plenty of water,and good food from every category,fruit nuts pulses,wholemeal rice pasta,fish etc etc.

Botox and restyline are short term fixes they both last up to about 6-9 months or so if your lucky.

Its expensive treatment,the best way is prevention try to limit your expressions if you have an over expressive forehead etc and a good diet.

Don't go out in the extremities if you can avoid it,avoid the sun in the summer from 11 - 6 pm(Well avoid being out in the direct sunlight).

If you smoke give up smoking etc and limit the drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

If it's the blogger I'm thinking of, I came across her nickname logo thing on a website for botox in Dublin saying her readers get a discount! So you may very well be correct!

Really?? I asked her on her blog under her very noticeable pic where she gets her Botox done, as she advertises and plugs every other aspect of her life, and no sooner than it was up, it was removed. Obviously not something she wanted out

Who is the person you are talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah can someone post a link to the blog please? :confused:

Yeah Lexie I just looked it up again there, the promotion is closed now but it said "Thinking about having botox? Here's €100 off!"
    It really bugs me when people are willing to plug their gym, hair extensions, millions of hotels etc but won't come out and say if they've had botox! She's quite young to have started now I think.

That's if we're even talking about the same person!

• Advertisement

Really?? I asked her on her blog under her very noticeable pic where she gets her Botox done, as she advertises and plugs every other aspect of her life, and no sooner than it was up, it was removed. Obviously not something she wanted out

She is notorious for that, she removes comments she doesn't like and proceeds to post pictures about "haters". I saw a girl who posted a comment saying she didn't think X jacket went with Y pants and it was removed. Terrible management of a page!

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    She is notorious for that, she removes comments she doesn't like and proceeds to post pictures about "haters". I saw a girl who posted a comment saying she didn't think X jacket went with Y pants and it was removed. Terrible management of a page!

I commented once on a photo she had posted up, she'd posted and plugged this shop that had given her a bag and matching shoes. The shoes were dupes of louboutins and were on sale for 195 euro in a boutique in Dublin. Someone asked her about the shoes and I said exactly that, almost 200 euro for imitation louboutins, wasn't being smart and linked to the boutique page. Was removed.

On the 4th plug, I commented and said that I really liked the bag and shoes the first three times she plugged it but that I had a hard time believing anything she posted as she constantly plugs and it just doesn't seem genuine anymore. I was blocked and comments were removed and then a heap of posts calling me a hater and implying I was jealous of her. LOL.

I think I know who is being discussed now and yes, she looks very plastic and generic.

I used to really like her and she's from around my neck of the woods but I find because she's "rising" she wants to keep every brand on side and only ever gushes about things. I don't think I've ever seen a bad review, what use is that?

Actually, the big issue that I have is that she only seems to review expensive things lately, and she is such a role model for young women that she seems to be only inspiring expensive big ticket items as purchases. She no longer does Penneys hauls, or talks about cheaper brands, which makes her reviews almost inaccessible to people like me who don't make that much money or don't prioritise beauty products over other things.

Additionally, she is accepting big ticket gifts from readers like designer bangles, which I think is just wrong.

• Advertisement

I found that so strange!! Readers get so obsessed, I think it's creepy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

As I said earlier in the thread, please do not name the blog. This thread is about botox, not about the person's blog and not about analysing the girl's appearance. If you have a problem with the blog, take it up with the owner. Do not reply to this warning on-thread. Thanks.

Back on topic - for me the issue with botox/fillers etc is that the person looks unnatural.

There is a "look" for face lifts (think cat eyes as an extreme), a "look" for various other procedures and the "look" for botox is frozen and pillowy.

I just dont like it. Id like to see (a difficult one to set up obviously) identical twins in their 50s where one of them used botox and fillers extensively thoughout their 20s/30s/40s and the other didnt and see what the real difference is 10 years after stopping use versus the twin who never used.

Another thing that I think happens is that people stop seeing themselves clearly because they get used to how they look - so while they might have looked great initially, they take it way too far. Their perspective becomes distorted.

If it makes her feel beautiful or confident then fair play to her, and if she doesn't want to tell everyone she's gotten it I suppose that's her prerogative.

Advertisement