Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creature in my bedroom!

• 05-12-2013 2:56am

I hope this is the right place to post... this has been keeping me up two nights now in terror! I can't be certain but I'm quite sure there is another creature sharing this room with me and my birds. I often get mice, because of the bird seed. I'm just somewhat concerned this yet unseen creature which rustles stuff around at night might just be bigger than a mouse. I just keep making an even bigger racket in the hopes of keeping it wherever it's hiding!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I hope this is the right place to post... this has been keeping me up two nights now in terror! I can't be certain but I'm quite sure there is another creature sharing this room with me and my birds. I often get mice, because of the bird seed. I'm just somewhat concerned this yet unseen creature which rustles stuff around at night might just be bigger than a mouse. I just keep making an even bigger racket in the hopes of keeping it wherever it's hiding!

It's that highly venemous spider that came with last months bananas but now it's had babies.

Do you like spiders by the way?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's that highly venemous spider that came with last months bananas but now it's had babies.

Do you like spiders by the way?

Oh! Are they those huge ones that start off by nibbling on your toes as you sleep?

DBB wrote: »
    Oh! Are they those huge ones that start off by nibbling on your toes as you sleep?

Yes and that venom will make your ears fall off and knees turn inwards. I hear they get pretty big too. And that when the eggs hatch you'll never get rid of them because 100s of eggs will have hatched and they roughly stay around the area that they were born so just all just keep reproducing.

OP you need to burn the house down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm pretty sure they lay their eggs in your ears.
    It can be terribly embarrassing when they decide to hatch out in the middle of a dinner party :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Clean your room!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

283307.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

id try catch it and sell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

DBB wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they lay their eggs in your ears.
    It can be terribly embarrassing when they decide to hatch out in the middle of a dinner party :-(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2186522/Womans-itchy-ear-caused-spider-living-FIVE-days.html

They may be joking OP, but it can happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Ok I'm not squeamish.....but now I feel sick!!! :eek:

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    283307.jpg

That's the one! OP really hate to frighten you but this is only one of the baby ones.

Look at them eyes!

• Advertisement

OK if we can be serious here for a second, everything you describe bears all the hallmarks of the North American brown bear.

Or maybe it is a decedent of the Irish bear which became extinct during the construction of the Luas .

I could be wrong.

LOL. Cheers lads. I still wont buy bananas anymore since the first time I was regaled with tales of the Brazilian Wandering spiders... I'm still not convinced I'm not sharing my room with a rodent of considerable size. This may be cause a mate found a rat in his house last weekend (and killed it, armed with a mic stand and a kitchen knife). Imagination is in over drive.

I found an empty packet of biscuits. That really could have been me, though. I tend to devour everything in sight when midnight snack mode sets in. I think I will leave a few of these Dortios in the corner tonight. Away from the bed.

Onwards... till 1am again, I guess, when the lying awake and listening stands all over again.

Staplor wrote: »
    Clean your room!

That's tomorrow's plan, I might borrow my mate's mic stand and kitchen knife, and maybe my mate too, before I touch anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

brilliantly funny posts, its a feckin rat. get a cat

You reckon it's a rat? That's what my deep fear is, whether it's real or just paranoia in over drive. I often have mice, cause of the birds n the room dropping their seed. I don't mind mice. If it's a rat I'll be sleeping on the couch.

Three dogs in situ (but don't get into my room) and three birds in my room, cat not an option :(

Believe me, I'd have one already if I could. I always had cats, partially because of the rodent control. Wonder if I could move the birds to another room and borrow a neighbour's cat for a few hours. Though the poor thing would probably be terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Did ya try a trap yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Would ya not throw a few mousetraps around anyway then? And what flavour doritos?

You reckon it's a rat? That's what my deep fear is, whether it's real or just paranoia in over drive. I often have mice, cause of the birds n the room dropping their seed. I don't mind mice. If it's a rat I'll be sleeping on the couch.

Three dogs in situ (but don't get into my room) and three birds in my room, cat not an option :(

Believe me, I'd have one already if I could. I always had cats, partially because of the rodent control. Wonder if I could move the birds to another room and borrow a neighbour's cat for a few hours. Though the poor thing would probably be terrified.

Ok the spider thing was obviously a joke but I'd still be careful about where you get your bananas from because you just never know!

As far a rat, you could be on to something here. Bad news - rats breed in winter. Ever see the size of a pregnant rat and how vicious they can be? It's not nice. A normal cat won't do you'll have to ring the zoo and ask for the rodent keeper she's called, Annie Lyons. just explain your problem. She have you sorted out in no time. Even tell her BillyMitchel from the interweb sent you. She'll know who I am because I know she loves Eastenders.

Sleep well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

budgese, this is a problem, you may have a few mice because they are eating your bird food, omg how can you live like that,they will be nibblingn at your bare feet while your fast asleep, clean out your room for fecks sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

brilliantly funny posts, its a feckin rat. get a cat
    A banana rat?!?

:eek::eek::eek:

The banana spider's only natural predator in the jungle?!?!?!?!

OP. There's no alternative. Take off and nuke the house from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I was going to say rat but when you said you had birds in the room i would be pretty sure its a pine marten attracted by the birds.they are in dangered so you will need to get a professional to trap it and move.good luck and dont be afriad it will not attack you unless cornered.

Lads, there are even mice in our kitchen! It's a really old house and there are most likely mice in here all the time, grew up in the country and mice in your house are just a regular fact of life, cats or not, mice are ok.

I haven't set up a trap because I'm mostly afraid this thing is bigger than a mouse. I haven't seen it, heard things, freaked out and started moving furniture and stamping on the floor to scare it away. But it's only the last few days I was aware of any noises, since, really, I got back from my friend's house where he killed a rat in his kitchen.

Mice I can deal with no probs, if it's a rat I'll go through the ceiling. I've laid the Dorito out to check tomorrow if it's been nibbled. If the Dorito is untouched then the room gets a top to bottom clean tomorrow. If the Dorito is nibbled then the room still gets a clean and a trap set. If the Dorito is GONE then I'm sleeping on the couch, and coming back with several drunk friends with golf clubs. I'm actually a little scared to start cleaning up properly in case I upset the hiding place. There's a lot of junk in my room.

budgese, this is a problem, you may have a few mice because they are eating your bird food, omg how can you live like that,they will be nibblingn at your bare feet while your fast asleep, clean out your room for fecks sake

Mice are harmless. Keep themselves to themselves. Though I did have my books stacked on my floor last winter and one of them chewed up a Harry Potter book. Wasn't too bad though, was only The Goblet Of Fire. Not one of the hardbacks. Was still annoyed though and bought a trap, but I couldn't actually bring myself to set it, because mice are really harmless. A rat though?! They must die. With fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Get an eagle that should sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If you have mice you wont have rats and vice versa, mice wont stay around if there are rats there so it cant be a rat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Find someone with ferrets and borrow one, or get some bedding from them. The whiff of a ferret will scare most things off!

It's hard to know when you have mice, the mice are definitely in the kitchen! I just heard movement in my room that could have been my paranoia, or could actually really be a larger creature in my room.

I set up the Dorito test tonight. I will report back.

I have to thank you guys for the fun on this thread, it's really helping me relax a bit!! I'm terrified of rats. Mice no, but rats, I am petrified of.

Spiders too but I know they can't and wont hurt me :) I just freak out at how.... too difficult to explain. Just Urrrgh.

Rommie wrote: »
    Find someone with ferrets and borrow one, or get some bedding from them. The whiff of a ferret will scare most things off!

Probably me too. Ferrets are kinda freaky! But I am sure they are lovely really!

It's hard to know when you have mice, the mice are definitely in the kitchen! I just heard movement in my room that could have been my paranoia, or could actually really be a larger creature in my room.

I set up the Dorito test tonight. I will report back.

I have to thank you guys for the fun on this thread, it's really helping me relax a bit!! I'm terrified of rats. Mice no, but rats, I am petrified of.

Spiders too but I know they can't and wont hurt me :) I just freak out at how.... too difficult to explain. Just Urrrgh.

Wow stop getting a head of yourself! Relaxed? You could have a pregnant rat under your bed. Rats can climb on your bed and then it's nice and cosy there so it could give birth there. Imagine waking up and seeing loads of baby rats just looking at you and waiting for you to move so they can all attack?

Have a good night, I'm off to sleep like a baby :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

shamrock55 wrote: »
    If you have mice you wont have rats and vice versa, mice wont stay around if there are rats there so it cant be a rat

That's a myth.

But a rat would eat a mouse/mice.

If the scrabbling is very loud and you can hear it's movement heavy on the floor it's most likely a rat. Though a nesting mouse can make a racket also. A pine marten could live in the attic but it wouldn't go unnoticed in your room. I had a frog in my room once he made a strange collection of odd sounds too.

Rat droppings will be evident in the areas he's been - much larger than mouse droppings - I have often seen the rats on the bird feeders outside in winter likelihood that birdseed is a temptation and probably an easy access point somewhere in the home.

Don't be too scared the bananna spider will probably get him before you do!

Advertisement