Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi, am hoping someone here can give me some info as to what I should do. I stayed in a hotel in Cork 3 weekends ago and left the keys of my car behind in the room. When I got back to Dublin I realised my mistake and phoned the hotel. They said the keys were found in the room so I asked if I could pay to have them sent next day delivery as I needed them for work on Tuesday. The receptionist said that the hotel would look after the postage and she would put them in the post first thing in the morning (Monday). I waited til Wednesday and the keys didn't show up so I rang the hotel and got the same receptionist who told me she had only posted them Tuesday and to expect them Thursday. So once again the keys didn't arrive Thursday so I rang again and she was dumbfounded as to why they never arrived. I asked her for the tracking code and she told me that they were only sent via ordinary post and not next day delivery like I had requested. I only had the one key and didn't want to rush into organising a replacement key cut as I was quoted quite an expensive amount of money so said I'd give it another week or so and see if the keys showed up. Tried the hotel again on numerous occasions to see if the keys might have been returned but the receptionist kept saying she posted them and couldn't understand why they never arrived. Anyway three weeks passed and nothing showed up so I had to get a new basic key cut to open the car as it was parked out of town. I then had to pay a tow truck driver to tow the car 50 miles to a mechanic to bypass the chipping system on the car (cheaper method than paying for brand new chipped key). After all my expenses I was out of pocket E300. Anyway I got home from work today and in the post was my car keys. I checked the date of the hotel stamp and it clearly says the keys were only posted on the 3rd of december (more than 3 weeks after the receptionist said she posted them). I'm quite angry as I am down E300 and had a lot of hassle organising a spare car for work everyday I was without my own. Just wondering what would people advise me to do in this situation, would a solicitor have any interest in this or would I be at nothing approaching one? Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I bet based on your account of poor customer service I could name the hotel in Cork... Not sure where you stand legally regarding their obligation to post the keys to you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Maybe it was returned to them as undeliverable, possibly due to an incorrect address they put on the envelope, when they got it back they sent it again, you got it the second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yes, there is nothing you can do here. They were under no obligation to post them to you and in the end you did actually get them.
    A better bet would have been that you arranged your own courir to collect and deliver the keys to you rather than depending on the hotel, but hind sight and all that.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Don't really think you are entitled to anything to be honest, send a polite e-mail of complaint about the situation outlining your disappointment at being lied to and the financial cost incurred. Might get an apology, but will most likely hear nothing in return. I totally understand your frustration. If they didnt send them they should have just told you so instead of leading you on, jackasses!

col.in.Cr wrote: »

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭clearodara

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Excellent point, thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Miss Mayhem

It was your mistake in leaving the keys at the hotel. The hotel weren't legally required to post out the keys to you. There's no point going to a solicitor about this. You don't have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭clearodara

It was your mistake in leaving the keys at the hotel. The hotel weren't legally required to post out the keys to you. There's no point going to a solicitor about this. You don't have a case.

Thanks, great post

Advertisement