Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokeless Tobacco in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-12-2013 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey there.

Over the Summer, a friend of mine from the States came over and brought with him a pouch of Red Man chewing tobacco. Tried it the few times I could and quite enjoyed it. Was just wondering if there was any place in Dublin, or the country for that matter, that actively stocked any kind of smokeless tobacco? Be it snus, chewing tobacco, snuff etc. Just interested in trying more if I can get my hands on it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

There's a pipe shop on Nassau Street (beside the Sound Cellar) that might sell some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

As far as I understand it's against EU law for smokeless oral tobacco products however Sweden have a dispensation and people illegally import snus from there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

people illegally import snus from there.
    If it's for personal use I don't think it's illegal. It's just selling smokeless tobacco is illegal in the EU except Sweden.

BeerNut wrote: »
    If it's for personal use I don't think it's illegal. It's just selling smokeless tobacco is illegal in the EU except Sweden.

No it's illegal. I found where it was transposed into Irish law.

Public Health (Tobacco) Act, 2002
    (2) It shall be an offence for a person to manufacture, import, supply, sell or invite an offer to purchase an oral smokeless tobacco product.

Does it count as importing if it's for personal supply? If it was fully illegal "possess" would be there too.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Does it count as importing if it's for personal supply? If it was fully illegal "possess" would be there too.

I suppose it depends on the definition of importing. It could mean that it's being brought in to be sold, in which case for personal use it's okay.

From the Commission:
    the prohibition does not apply to goods carried by travellers and intended for their personal use or as a gift for personal use. Consequently, the purchase of snus for personal use or as a gift is exempt when making journeys from Sweden.
    Link.

Advertisement